Help with Use Case for IP cam and computer

legacyvbc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an odd request that I can't find a solution for but I am new to the game. I am a coach and we have IP Cameras in our gym. We aren't using them for security, we use them to record practices and matches.

What I would like to do is figure out if there is any type of computer NVR software that can take the feed and allow us to use it like a TIVO. Here is an example.

We have a computer hooked up to a monitor in our gym and our computer is running the NVR software and hooked into our court cam. We have players that are practicing shooting basketballs from the free throw line and so I want to delay the stream by 4 seconds so that the player shoots and then looks at the TV to see his shot and then keeps repeating.

I haven't found any software that lists this as a feature. I had a system in my old gym and the only option was to actually have the shooter shoot for a minute and then you would go to the software and search the recording back one minute and watch from there but that isn't really practical as you have to keep searching.

The goal is for something like Tivo where if you are watching live, you just press pause and then play when you want to start and it just keeps going.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a way to have an IP camera feed a Tivo that would be an option as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
A short-term solution for the 10 second delay could be to view the stream via VLC.

1. Open VLC.
2. Ctrl + N to open a new network stream.
3. Paste the URL to your camera.
4. Click "Show More Options."
5. Increase the "caching" value to whatever delay you want.
6. Play the stream.

I'm testing it now with one of my Hikvision cameras, one set at 1,000 and the other at 10,000. It is maintaining a 9-second difference between streams.

legacyvbc

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome idea. We will have to try that. This doesn't allow you to switch between live and delayed easily though right?

- - - Updated - - -

Who are the solutions that coat a fortune? How much he is a fortune, as we are a well funded University program.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a bunch listed in the google link.

legacyvbc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Any ideas how to get it to work with a password? I am trying everything with no luck.
The latest was that I put in http://999.999.999.99/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=102
(This is the link I got from the browser when I put in just the IP address.)
Then it prompts for a password which I put in the user and pass and then nothing happens.

I have also tried putting just the IP address in without the view/viewer_index.shtml?id=102 but nothing happens. I have tried other protocols rtp, rstp but that doesn't work either.

They are Axis cameras.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JJ

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
Having not used any Axis cameras, I don't have any particular solutions. I'm using an RTSP stream with my cameras.

After doing a bit of research, these are two potential RTSP stream URLs that you could try:

rtsp://login:password@YourCamIP/axis-media/media.amp
rtsp://login:password@YourCamIP/mpeg4/media.amp

You might be able to use Onvif Device Manager to discover the proper direct stream URL.

Good luck!

Mike