Help with Wanscam settings

danwhite99

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try to get right to the point. I have a Wanscam HW0028 used for security. There are a number of security lights in the area that can not be turned off.
The user interface that is built in has a brightness adjustment from 0 to 15. at night 0 is much better than 15 but if I switch from 50HZ to 60HZ it's as if the lens closes off all light and then opens until it reaches the prescribed setting, the thing is as it is opening there is a 3 or 4 second time that the brightness is less than the 0 setting. like a -6. I am wondering if there is any way to adjust what the 0 setting represents. kinda of being able to put in (-5) which I have tried but it won't take.
any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

danwhite99

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a number of security lights in the area that can not be turned off.
are they IR lights that face the lens of the camera, or bright flood-light type lights and are they constant on or sensor triggered? I have a Wanscam, and know what you mean about light/exposure level not being very flexible.

If I understand right, in your case the light flooding the lens when you change the Hz causes the cam to drop the exposure to full black, and passes an ideal level briefly as it brings the exposure up to the min level... but continues? Can you capture a clip of what it does?

I suspect you may not be able to make that type of adjustment, unless you can edit the config from the firmware level. I'm not sure, maybe there are some Wanscam experts that can chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:

danwhite99

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. as soon as I can record the screen after dark I'll post a clip but I realize after reading you reply that what I really should have asked is how do I attempt to edit the firmware? I am mindful of the risk but would like to give it a try.
any suggestions?

thanks in advance

d

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are numerous posts around the web of people editing the Wanscam for various reasons, nothing I have experience with though, have checked that you have the latest firmware installed? ...you could also try searching for a custom firmware but if doing so you should be very cautious before doing any experimenting. The last thing you want is to brick the camera.

danwhite99

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, reading some of them now. I would try a different firmware but can't find anything that has even a hint of being compatible with my cam. Thanks for taking the time to chat.
d

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will not be able to make the changes you are trying to implement. Unless you find someone who knows how to manipulate the firmware and has the camera..very unlikely.

remar75

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a HW0042 camera and the PTZ commands are not working.Can anybody help me with an advise ?Thanks.

Lestlie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a HW0042 camera and the PTZ commands are not working.Can anybody help me with an advise ?Thanks.
Hello, you sure about it is HW0042? I just checked wanscam HW0042 it is a bullet ip camera, so no PTZ supported.

remar75

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, you sure about it is HW0042? I just checked wanscam HW0042 it is a bullet ip camera, so no PTZ supported.
Yes, it's a bullet type camera but in the manual are indicated these commands-see attached picture.

Attachments

diver165

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably generic software instructions that comes with all of their cameras, both PTZ and NON-PTZ.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I hear Wanscam support is actually ok. They will e-mail you back so it's worth trying them.