Help with which camera to buy!

eracer37

n3wb
Reaction score
New to this forum and this is my first post! I have an elderly mother with dementia. She has a Honeywell security/ alarm system with four cameras. When this was installed she was not in the condition she is in now. I inquired about installing another camera in her bedroom. I was told there are only four ports in the dvr so we would have to install a whole new system which would be thousands of dollars. She now is mostly bedridden and has caregivers coming in and out of her house daily. My brother and I feel the need to monitor for her well being. We want a stand alone wireless camera that we can pan/zoom/or has a 360 degree view. We also want to be able to go back and view/save footage if necessary. We have looked at the YI and the Nest. Does anyone have a stand alone camera that fits the criteria that you would recommend? Any help is great as I have to order this ASAP! Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New to this forum and this is my first post! I have an elderly mother with dementia. She has a Honeywell security/ alarm system with four cameras. When this was installed she was not in the condition she is in now. I inquired about installing another camera in her bedroom. I was told there are only four ports in the dvr so we would have to install a whole new system which would be thousands of dollars. She now is mostly bedridden and has caregivers coming in and out of her house daily. My brother and I feel the need to monitor for her well being. We want a stand alone wireless camera that we can pan/zoom/or has a 360 degree view. We also want to be able to go back and view/save footage if necessary. We have looked at the YI and the Nest. Does anyone have a stand alone camera that fits the criteria that you would recommend? Any help is great as I have to order this ASAP! Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
Forget nest (expensive and a perpetual fee), forget yi (complete junk)..
forget pan tilt cameras, they do you no good. You are much better off with a wide angle lens allowing you to view the entire room at once.
Grab a few of these http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
These cams can record to sd card, NVR or both.
I would wire them up rather than use wifi. They are POE so a single ethernet cable can power and stream data.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Definitely forget anything retail. Seldom is anything of good value when sold on a store shelf. Nest is a beautiful example. While their thermostats are nifty, their cameras are half baked. Don't get me started on their smoke detectors.

I second @fenderman's suggestion:

- Nelly's is a great seller with great customer support (I've purchased from them before)

- Hikvision is an excellent brand to purchase (I buy Hikvision products all the time, never had any major issue with them)

- the $130 price tag i think is reasonable considering what you're getting, the support, warranty, etc.

You'll definitely want to hardwire it if you can as he already stated, it simplifies everything from supplying power and connecting it to the Internet. I've never purchased this model before, so since you want this camera standalone, you may need a cheap PoE injector to accomplish the hardwire method. (I don't know what comes in the box)

at any rate, streaming is significantly more reliable over Ethernet than it is wifi. I know wifi simplifies everything, but depending on the house setup/access behind walls, etc and distance between desired camera location and router, it's well worth hardwiring and having a better performing camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: