Here to find solutions to save my house!

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello. I am here to engage with the community and help others where I can as my own experience and knowledge grows.

Now to the title of this post. I recently moved into a neighborhood with a burglary and theft problem. It hasn't been 1 year ago and I've already had 2 trepasses on my property where items were stolen out of my garage and off my porch. Needless to say this has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'm seriously contemplating moving to another home out of the area.

Alas, I've endeavored to take the prudent approach and stay in the neighborhood. But if I'm going to stay I am going to fortify the house with a security system. It'll give me piece of mind and possible evidence for the police in case the worst happens.

Recently I've tried a couple of different security systems. One was an Amcrest POE Security System with 4MP Bullet Cameras but returned it in favor of a Netgear Arlo Pro wireless camera. After finding this forum and reading through several threads I also returned the Arlo Pro system. I became evident to me quickly that there were much better options at competitive prices as the aforementioned products I'd previously purchased.

As for components I currently have a NETGEAR ProSAFE GS110TP-200NAS 8-Port PoE Gigabit Smart Managed Switch and a Synology DS213j NAS which can utilize the Synology Surveillance Application. My router is a Netgear AC1900 NightHawk.

I'm hoping to put together a 16ch security system. Starting with 4-6 cameras in the beginning. From my research it looks like the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) and the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5) are just the cameras I'm looking for. I'm not married to anything and am open to better options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Recently I've tried a couple of different security systems. One was an Amcrest POE Security System with 4MP Bullet Cameras but returned it in favor of a Netgear Arlo Pro wireless camera. After finding this forum and reading through several threads I also returned the Arlo Pro system. I became evident to me quickly that there were much better options at competitive prices as the aforementioned products I'd previously purchased.
Welcome and congratulations on already doing the right thing and returning the Arlo Pro... I am currently putting together an evidence package from the Arlo cloud service... and it really SUCKS big time.

The Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret and Bullet are clearly the best value for night time cameras and from the reviews here is clearly the best way to go today.

Remember camera placement will be a critical factor to be able to ID suspects.

Better cameras also will have more advanced features like IVS so that you do not have to view 8 hours of video to see what happened last night.

Also remember to spend sometime to properly do info-sec/IT security on your security camera setup. Many users fail to worry enough about these and IoT easy to compromise devices.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@mat200, thanks for the reply and feedback. I've been looking at the Dahua cameras
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5) 7-35mm and the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z). So far I've narrowed it down to needing 4 turret cameras to start with. I'm open to bullet cameras which is why the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 is included.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200, thanks for the reply and feedback. I've been looking at the Dahua cameras
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5) 7-35mm and the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z). So far I've narrowed it down to needing 4 turret cameras to start with. I'm open to bullet cameras which is why the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 is included.
The nice thing about the bullet is it's size... says "Hello Here I am watching you" very clearly ;-)

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I came across a recommendation for newbies to start with a turret camera as opposed to a bullet style camera. Any idea of why besides the obvious tamper resistance of the turret style?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I came across a recommendation for newbies to start with a turret camera as opposed to a bullet style camera. Any idea of why besides the obvious tamper resistance of the turret style?
There are a number of reasons why the turret is liked, one is that it is hard for an intruder to change the view.

For a Bullet, an intruder can throw a rope or the like over the bullet and attempt to force it downward.

The turrets being smaller are less "offensive". Also a bit cheaper to ship from overseas.

The junction box for the turrets is also more affordable vs the junction box for the larger bullets

There maybe additional reasons, those above I could recall quickly.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons why the turret is liked, one is that it is hard for an intruder to change the view.

For a Bullet, an intruder can throw a rope or the like over the bullet and attempt to force it downward.

The turrets being smaller are less "offensive". Also a bit cheaper to ship from overseas.

The junction box for the turrets is also more affordable vs the junction box for the larger bullets

There maybe additional reasons, those above I could recall quickly.
I see. Thank you.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get a bullet style camera with a ring of leds around the lens

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Get cameras, but I'd probably just move, living in a place with lots of crime sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Get cameras, but I'd probably just move, living in a place with lots of crime sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm staying put for now. I wouldn't classify the area as a bad area, but the certainly the spat of burglaries has opened my eyes. Cameras are going to have to suffice for now.

Reaction score
In addition to cameras, you should consider installing an alarm system to cover the perimeter (doors/windows) and interior of your house. The cameras will allow you to see what happened after the event, but the alarm will detect and potentially scare off the intruders before they take your property, or limit the time they stay inside of your house.

You should also strengthen your physical security, such as properly installed deadbolts on all exterior doors, good window locks etc.

Honeywell makes good alarm systems. Take a look at their Vista line for hardwired/wireless systems or Lyric for completely wireless systems

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In addition to cameras, you should consider installing an alarm system to cover the perimeter (doors/windows) and interior of your house. The cameras will allow you to see what happened after the event, but the alarm will detect and potentially scare off the intruders before they take your property, or limit the time they stay inside of your house.

You should also strengthen your physical security, such as properly installed deadbolts on all exterior doors, good window locks etc.

Honeywell makes good alarm systems. Take a look at their Vista line for hardwired/wireless systems or Lyric for completely wireless systems
Yeah, I'm working on that end as well. I already have a Honeywell Security System. I'm working on upgrading it or to a different system that allows for self-monitoring.

Reaction score
Which Honeywell system do you currently have? Who monitors your system? The majority of the Honeywell Vista panels can be self monitored with the Envisalink 4 without a monthly cost.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which Honeywell system do you currently have? Who monitors your system? The majority of the Honeywell Vista panels can be self monitored with the Envisalink 4 without a monthly cost.
I have the Honeywell Lynx 2 which isn't compatible with the Envisalink 4 but I could buy a Vista controller off eBay and then buy the Envisalink 4.

What kind of experience do you have with that product? Firstly how well does it work?

Or better yet I could just by the new Honeywell Lyric Controller which is $235. Pay the small monthly $10 fee and manage it myself as well. Any experience with the Lyric?

Reaction score
I have the Vista 21ip (same as the 20p, just with a built in IP communicator). I've been using the Vista line of alarm panels for over 15 years (previously had the Vista 50p). They're extremely reliable, I've never had an issue with either of the panels. However, the reliability of the system is also determined by quality of sensors installed and proper placement.

Mine is set up with central station monitoring. I pay $30.00 a month without a contract for IP primary, GSM backup and Total connect 2.0(remote control/text email alerts).

I like the Vista line because it has more to offer. The panel can accept either hardwired or wireless sensors, has relay outputs etc. I'm not a fan of All in one wireless alarm panels such as the lynx or Lyric due security concerns and limited ability to expand the system. However, the Lyric is a lot better than the lynx since it offers encrypted sensors and has a lot more to offer when it comes to sensors and accessories (two way wireless keypads, sirens etc).

If you're going to self monitor, you're better off with the vista 20p and the envisalink 4.

hionhifi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the Vista 21ip (same as the 20p, just with a built in IP communicator). I've been using the Vista line of alarm panels for over 15 years (previously had the Vista 50p). They're extremely reliable, I've never had an issue with either of the panels. However, the reliability of the system is also determined by quality of sensors installed and proper placement.

Mine is set up with central station monitoring. I pay $30.00 a month without a contract for IP primary, GSM backup and Total connect 2.0(remote control/text email alerts).

I like the Vista line because it has more to offer. The panel can accept either hardwired or wireless sensors, has relay outputs etc. I'm not a fan of All in one wireless alarm panels such as the lynx or Lyric due security concerns and limited ability to expand the system. However, the Lyric is a lot better than the lynx since it offers encrypted sensors and has a lot more to offer when it comes to sensors and accessories (two way wireless keypads, sirens etc).

If you're going to self monitor, you're better off with the vista 20p and the envisalink 4.
The Lyric System is the ticket for me I believe. It's all in one, I can use my current honeywell 5816 sensors which lowers the initial startup costs, I can upgrade to the encrypted sensors over time and I would only have to pay a small monthly fee to get self monitoring enabled. Plus if I decide to have the system professionally monitored it would be simple to sign up for that service. The Lyric gives me z-wave wireless and mobile app functionality. I intend to use z-wave throughout my house for home automation.

Having said all that I'm a newbie to the security system, security camera space and don't know what I don't know. What benefits does the 21ip have over the Lyric?

One thing coming off my LynxR2 are two wires. A black and red which are not the power wires. I have no idea of where they go too off the Lynx R2. I'll attach photos. Hopefully someone will know what they are for. I was thinking maybe for the smoke detectors. My smoke detectors all go off when one detects smoke. I was thinking they were connected to the Lynx R2.

I have no other pre-wired devices in my Honeywell System. Alarm Grid has several inexpensive plans to allow me to self monitor the system. Or I could replace the sensors with Z-wave sensors, connect them to Smartthings which allows me all the monitoring, alerts, etc, etc of the Honeywell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Lyric System is the ticket for me I believe. It's all in one, I can use my current honeywell 5816 sensors which lowers the initial startup costs, I can upgrade to the encrypted sensors over time and I would only have to pay a small monthly fee to get self monitoring enabled. Plus if I decide to have the system professionally monitored it would be simple to sign up for that service. The Lyric gives me z-wave wireless and mobile app functionality. I intend to use z-wave throughout my house for home automation.

Having said all that I'm a newbie to the security system, security camera space and don't know what I don't know. What benefits does the 21ip have over the Lyric?

One thing coming off my LynxR2 are two wires. A black and red which are not the power wires. I have no idea of where they go too off the Lynx R2. I'll attach photos. Hopefully someone will know what they are for. I was thinking maybe for the smoke detectors. My smoke detectors all go off when one detects smoke. I was thinking they were connected to the Lynx R2.

I have no other pre-wired devices in my Honeywell System. Alarm Grid has several inexpensive plans to allow me to self monitor the system. Or I could replace the sensors with Z-wave sensors, connect them to Smartthings which allows me all the monitoring, alerts, etc, etc of the Honeywell.
The vista 20p can do everything the Lyric can besides the encrypted sensors. The Vista is also compatible with all of your 5800 series wireless sensors currently installed for the lynx. You will need either the 6160RF keypad or a wireless receiver to use those wireless sensors.

I prefer hard wired panels such as the vista over AIO wireless panels like the Lyric because you have a lot more flexibility and selection of sensors. Hard wired panels also have the control panel hidden in a secured cabinet vs right next to the front door. Hard wired sensors are also cheaper to purchase.

It sounds like you have 120v interconnected smokes. I don't believe the lynx has a zone input for fire devices. When I get home I'll look it up and see what those terminals are for.

The vista, lynx or Lyric will not accept zwave security sensors. If you're serious about your security system, do not use any type of Zwave sensors. Zwave was designed for home automation, such as locking or unlocking doors, turning lights on/off etc.

Keep your camera system separate from your alarm system. I know Honeywell offers cams that integrate into your alarm system, however, in my opinion, they're garbage.

I prefer Blue Iris with Dahua 2mp starlight cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm on my computer so I can actually see the picture. Those two wires are for the phone line. Is the system monitored? Is that phone line used for anything else other than your alarm? It appears whoever installed the system did not properly wire the alarm for line seizure. There should be 4 wires going to the phone connection.