Here's a solid solution an intercom setup using 2532 built in mic

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i searched high and low and there wasn't many threads regarding this so I thought I'd put together one to help those other down the road.

I started with 2532-is and utilized the built in mic. Because it's at the entry door, I wanted it to be nice and clean. My main obstacle was the speaker to mount at the door. I did not want to cut a giant hole into the exterior wall and have a change of heart down the road. It would be a very expensive repair. Also needed something to power whatever speaker I was going to use.

A mini amplifier mounted on the other side of the wall which happens to be my garage so there are plenty of room to hide it with accessible power.

I went with a Lepai 2020A+ amp because it's has the strongest output of all the little amps and great review. Having a higher output mean you don't have to turn the volume up very high to get quality sound. Therefore, you don't hear any static noise when it's not being used.

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443473695&sr=1-1&keywords=lepai

At the moment, I cut off an old computer speaker and velcro it above the camera (see photo) with this tiny speaker, I can clearly hear myself talking standing 100ft away. Good for screaming at intruders LOL

But my permanent speaker will be an ELK-7 which should arrive in a couple day. I'll update on the quality of this once I test it out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000STQNU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Speaker is just under 2" in depth that is a surface mount. it's design to echo the audio off whatever surface it's mounted on. This concept works because I do it all the time to my tablet when I can't hear the rear speakers. I can also paint it to match the exterior wall so it blends right in.

For remote app, I used TinyCam Pro and IPCam Viewer both seems to work well. What I had to do was forward the RSTP port and configure the app to use the substream in case I'm in an area with low signal I can still have a duplex conversation with the person at the door.

For connectivity, I ran 2x cat 5 cables to the camera, 1 is for the POE/signal, the other one I used split the twisted pairs into 2 pairs, 1 pair for the audio input and the other for the audio output.

hope this can help take the homework off of someone else down the road.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I went with a Lepai 2020A+ amp because it's has the strongest output of all the little amps and great review.
I have a couple of those - they are quite amazing. A digital (PWM) power amp with actually very good quality and high efficiency.
I didn't know you could still buy them - I thought the chip manufacturer went bust a few years ago so stock dried up.

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the picture!
Wow, it is definitely larger than what I saw on Amazon/imagined it would be.
Do you think without the amp it won't be worth it?

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a good solution.

Is it possible to see what sort of a picture you get from the camera at that height and location? Can you see the porch floor and also the face of someone stand their?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera wouldnt work without an amp. So i dont really have a choice. However, the other option is to go with a $10 kinter amp which should be enough for this speaker
Thanks for this, it helps!

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
let me know what you find... my intercom works ok but there's a lot of feedback noise from the mic/speaker on the remote side.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't show up on AliExpress, then I have to patch up the hole where my existing camera existing is :mad-new: