Hey all - looking for help with system for club premises

Dmitriy V

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am trying to put together an indoor surveillance system for this club I am part of. It consists of two rooms: one is an woodworking shop roughly 30x30FT (with a corner chopped off) with a 13FT ceiling; the other is a long 40X15FT room with 10FT ceiling, bisected by a room partition. A screenshot of the floorplan is attached.

From what I researched so far, I think I could do this with 5-6 cameras - 2 in the back diagonally opposite of each other and 3-4 in the front doing the same but with the room shape and partition in mind. I know that I want dome-style POE cameras with enough resolution to identify visitors (hopefully 1080p is enough). Also need to select a quality, rack-mountable NVR. Currently looking for input, suggestions, alternatives, etc.

I originally considered LaView's 1080p varifocal POE dome cameras and their NVR, but they are currently low on stock...so I started doing more reading and ended up on this forum!

Attachments

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the succinct recommendation. I've certainly noticed that these Dahua are very popular around here. What would you say would be the best way to order them and the 8-channel NVR to ship to the US?
Yep, Andy is the man.
Purchase the 16 port version of the NVR, it's only like $20 more.

Dmitriy V

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Salster! I may order through Andy directly, however I am wondering as to why I wouldn't order using their Aliexpress instead. I am guessing this way he can avoid having to give Aliexpress a cut of the sale, which, well, fair enough!

Is there a resource summarizes similar Dahua camera models? I can probably afford 5-6 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, but I am wondering if there other models with same/similar recording quality but maybe a different physical package that would be better for our space or different feature set at a lower price point?

looney2ns, is the 16-port NVR any different than the 8 other than the ports? It's roughly $330, correct?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Salster! I may order through Andy directly, however I am wondering as to why I wouldn't order using their Aliexpress instead. I am guessing this way he can avoid having to give Aliexpress a cut of the sale, which, well, fair enough!

Is there a resource summarizes similar Dahua camera models? I can probably afford 5-6 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, but I am wondering if there other models with same/similar recording quality but maybe a different physical package that would be better for our space or different feature set at a lower price point?

looney2ns, is the 16-port NVR any different than the 8 other than the ports? It's roughly $330, correct?

you would have to ask Andy that?
EMPIRETECANDY

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi Dmitriy,

Aliexpress at times has been problematic when I have ordered from them, having at times cancelled my order with a vendor - and then I and the vendor tried to revive the order.. and ordered again, and then again Aliexpress cancelled my order... and other similar issues.

That in additional to higher cost for vendors, it may be good to just use paypal with Andy - he has a good reputation so you have little to worry about.

Dmitriy V

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dmitriy,

Aliexpress at times has been problematic when I have ordered from them, having at times cancelled my order with a vendor - and then I and the vendor tried to revive the order.. and ordered again, and then again Aliexpress cancelled my order... and other similar issues.

That in additional to higher cost for vendors, it may be good to just use paypal with Andy - he has a good reputation so you have little to worry about.
That makes sense. It sounds less risky than investing Bitcoin, so why not!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aliexpress can be finicky with processing your credit card, unless you contact your bank first, and tell them you are making a purchase from China, there is a high chance that Ali will reject it. And they may even after you contacted your bank.

Dmitriy V

n3wb
Reaction score
How adjustable are the Dahua turrets and domes? I am considering mounting them at "90 degrees" (flat on the wall, versus flat on the ceiling) and was wondering how much I can twist and turn the housing to adjust the image. Do they only move up down? Does the NVR's software allow image rotation?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How adjustable are the Dahua turrets and domes? I am considering mounting them at "90 degrees" (flat on the wall, versus flat on the ceiling) and was wondering how much I can twist and turn the housing to adjust the image. Do they only move up down? Does the NVR's software allow image rotation?
Adjustable any way you need. I would assume so on the image rotation.