Hey guys, SATA question...

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seeing that we're staying home for the time being, I'd like to keep Live View running but without the loud SATA drive.

It there a setting in Hikvision to power down the SATA drive, or do I have to physically remove the cable going to the SATA drive?

Thanks!

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting question... Not sure if the drive switches off when you stop recording. Will be good to get your feedback

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alastairstevenson, thanks for the info. You're right. I thought the drive was louder but it seems the 2 fans is causing all the noise. I unplugged one of them and it helps a little. By reducing the noise, is the only alternative changing the fan itself?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the HDD Sleeping tick box only works in a 2+ drive system when you want to make the currently unused drive go to sleep. That's how it works on my I-series NVR anyway.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have replace the fan's in my Hikvision with Noctua's also. There is one in the power supply and another mounted on the case next to the main board. Night and day difference.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using 2 Noctua's, one in the power supply the other mounted on the case? Also do we really need 2 fans? I only have one drive.

Thanks!

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. I am using two Noctuas. My unit has two fans in it so since I was wanting to get rid of the loud whirling noise the NVR makes when on, I changed them both out. It would be pointless to change one fan to a quieter one while the other is still super loud. If you only have one fan in your unit then just change the one. Some units have a power brick so there is no power supply with a fan that makes noise.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One fan it is. Should I replace the fan in the power supply or the one mounted on the case? I did unplug the fan mounted to the case last week and it helped eliminate some noise but not enough.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my unit (Hikvision) the fan in the power supply was soldered into the board. I had to cut the wires and then soldered the new fan in along with some heat shrink. The one mounted in the case is a simple unplug the old on and plug the new one back in. Depends on how far you want to go at getting rid of noise. I don't even hear anything coming from my NVR now. Just the lights showing that it is on.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Lewic, I was just wondering if it's better to swap out the fan in the power supply or mounted to the case seeing that I will be using only one fan cause I only have one drive installed. I imagine swapping the fan in the power supply would be the right thing to do and disconnect the mounted case fan?

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. That would definitely be doable. Why not just do both fans? Those fans are like $10 each. If you decide to just change one fan then keep checking on the temperature to make sure it is not getting a little too warm. Wouldn't want a couple hundred dollar recorder to become a paperweight due to not spending the little extra money for one more fan.

Magchem07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m trying to replace my NVR fan with Noctua 40mm 12V. However, my existing fan is running at 0.15A as per spec, but Noctua is 0.05A. Would that cause any issue? From highschool physics I remember higher the amps would draw more and there is risk of over heating but in this case I’m lowering the amps. Would someone tell me if this may cause any failure?

my second question is based on the observation I made before for another fan replacement, when new fan was installed I noticed the fan wasn’t moving at the beginning as if it wasn’t getting enough power so I blow into the fan ( gave it a momentum) and the fan start rotating since but at the beginning it was halting? (Sorry not sure what the technical term is). Could that be due to amperage difference?
many thanks in advance

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The current that you’ve quoted is what the fans will draw or demand when running so going to something lower won’t be an issue.

In the old days people used to lower the voltage supplied to the fan to make them spin slower and therefore generate less noise. It’s normally lowering the voltage that causes the issue that you are describing as the voltage is too low to start the fan but once it’s running it will keep in running.

If you are replacing a 12v fan with another 12v fan then you shouldn’t see this issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
my second question is based on the observation I made before for another fan replacement, when new fan was installed I noticed the fan wasn’t moving at the beginning as if it wasn’t getting enough power so I blow into the fan ( gave it a momentum) and the fan start rotating since but at the beginning it was halting? (Sorry not sure what the technical term is). Could that be due to amperage differen
Could that have been caused by replacing a 5v fan with a 12v one?
Both type are available.

Magchem07

n3wb
Reaction score
T
The current that you’ve quoted is what the fans will draw or demand when running so going to something lower won’t be an issue.

In the old days people used to lower the voltage supplied to the fan to make them spin slower and therefore generate less noise. It’s normally lowering the voltage that causes the issue that you are describing as the voltage is too low to start the fan but once it’s running it will keep in running.

If you are replacing a 12v fan with another 12v fan then you shouldn’t see this issue.
Thank you for your response about amperage. Gives me a peace of mind. I was replacing a 12v with 12v. It was only at the beginning though that it was halting but has worked since.