Hey need some advice Please help

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. So like I said in my intro post. I'm sort of new to camera world but am pretty much knowledgeable from doing a ton of research as well as experimenting and installing a couple systems. Bout now I need some advice as well as help. Ok here's my situation.

I have like 2 or 3 installations to do for some family and friends. Now. Here's what i want to do. And I'll use a certain companies cameras as an example. Whether they are good or not. Ok. So

Now I want to know what would be my best bet if I should go with wireless or wired POe cameras. Because to me in essence they are pretty much the same thing only difference would be that the wireless cameras. Don't need to have a cable going to an NVR Box. As opposed to a wired Poe nvr setup which would require me to run cables to the nvr box giving me power as well as video connectivity. (And correct me if I'm wrong anywhere)

Would I also be able to let's say use some Poe and some wireless cameras in the same setup. And have them be viewed in the same nvrs display and remotely(in assuming so) if there are the same brand cameras. Now I know some of these cameras don't have ftp capabilities or whatever you would call it to be able to view them through a browser I guess through the ip or ddns correct? Cause I'm looking at using these zmodo systems. I'm going to get from eBay. I know there not top quality and all but truthfully it's not that serious. It's for a home and they are not looking to spend a ton of money on the whole system and installation.

Currently i own a brand new one of these systems

Zmodo 1080p 8CH HDMI NVR 8 1.0MP Network CCTV IR-cut Home Security Camera System | eBay

(except for i have the one that comes with 4 dome and 4 bullet)

And was looking to get something like this as well :

Zmodo 1080p HDMI 8CH NVR System With (8) 1.0 Megapixel Wireless Cameras 500GB | eBay

which is the wireless version.

What you suggest. Now one of these install houses. Doesn't really have any power outlets outside. So I would have to run power and/or the PoE to the NvR which I'm thinking of putting in the basement of the house. So I would have to run all the cables down to the basement. I mean it's all possible and prolly gonna be a little pain in the ass some places. But it can be done. And. Shouldn't be that long of a run either. So not too worried about voltage drop. And the second house. There is an outlet or 2 somewhere outside and. I'm going to setup like 3-4 outdoors and 1 indoor. So that's why I was asking if I can mix and match cameras that I may have left over from the other system. Whether its wireless or wired Poe. Now I just found out about having a power distribution box unit or whatever. Which I can use to power all cameras. So if I can install on of those type of boxes at one source and run all the power of the wireless cameras to that using Poe splitter/injectors. That would be pretty great. Or a PoE switch. I hope I'm making sense and not making this more confusing or harder for myself than it should be

Soooo in conclusion. What do you guys think. Any feedback for me I would sincerely and greatly appreciate it. I just want to get these down as soon as possible. Also this is going to be a great learning experience for me for future installs because it seems like I'm getting more and more referrals which i never planned on even doing. So now that I am getting these clients. I might as well make into a side business and all. So please. If you guys can help me by giving me some tips. And tricks. Thanks in advance

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
forget about wireless...friends dont let friends use zmodo...

Reaction score
Hahahahahaha. I know. Zmodo are not the best quality. But they are pretty cheap. What other company or setup like that would you recommend. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money as the client themselves don't want to either. So I'm trying to make some profit at least with the whole setup. And not just work for free you know what I'm saying

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha. I know. Zmodo are not the best quality. But they are pretty cheap. What other company or setup like that would you recommend. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money as the client themselves don't want to either. So I'm trying to make some profit at least with the whole setup. And not just work for free you know what I'm saying
In the long run you will not profit if you sell junk..you can only do that if you are fly by night...there are a million threads discussing quality cameras from dahuh/hikvision(lts) etc...start reading..

Reaction score
Ok roughly how much would I be looking to spend per system. And then average installation charge. I know I kno. That's a broad question all depends. But. Basic installation. Basic system nothing too fancy.

- and I forgot to even say thanks so much for replying and trying to help me. So you really think i should stay away from zmodo. Are they that bad ? Why do you think they r terrible

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok roughly how much would I be looking to spend per system. And then average installation charge. I know I kno. That's a broad question all depends. But. Basic installation. Basic system nothing too fancy.

- and I forgot to even say thanks so much for replying and trying to help me. So you really think i should stay away from zmodo. Are they that bad ? Why do you think they r terrible
Honestly if you have to ask these questions you should not be installing systems...its harsh but true..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Josef Dahari,

Welcome to the forum!
You asked for guidance for a system. That is by far the most common request from newcomers. Meaning: there are plenty of answers already posted here. Do some research, you'll learn much more quickly that way. And then, your questions will become more specific, and the answers more useful.

roughly how much would I be looking to spend per system. And then average installation charge.
That question is far too general.
System cost: $300 to $3,000.
Depends where you buy (in US, or from overseas)
Depends on how many cams, and performance of cams. How many days of nvr storage.
Installation charge: $300 to $1,500
Depends on structure (brick, wood, etc), how tricky to pull wire (is the basement or attic accessible), how many cams, etc.

I have like 2 or 3 installations to do for some family and friends.
Sounds like a recipe for problems, missed expectations, and potential damage to relationships (esp since you're charging them).
And security problems (exposing the system to hackers). Do you have IT skills to integrate an NVR into their existing home network? And install a VPN for security?

From what you've posted so far, you're not experienced/knowledgeable enough to be recommending systems, let alone charging for installations and being responsible for total system performance.

Proceed thoughtfully....

Fastb

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. In fact I am experienced with networking. I do it for a living. So don't assume. I know exactly what I am doing and yes I can setup VPNS AND keep them secure if need me that's not what the problem is. The problem is choosing a system and all that. Damn man. I came on the forum thinking I would meet some cool people and helpful. But seems like everyone's here to attack and put me down as if immsome dumb ass. You don't know wh type of skill I have man. Just because I'm not familiar with camera systems doesn't mean I'm not skilled in IT. THATS MY JOB man. And I'm trying to expand and add security systems to it. But I just wanted to get some suggestions. But all I've gotten was hateful responses.

Reaction score
I don't know why you talking to me like that. Just because I asked some specific question although broad. Which I actually had written a post but didn't post it by mistake and it said. I know I know that's a broad queetiom depending on a lot of factors and all. But. You killed me real quick. Telling I'm
Not good enough and shouldn't be doing it. Like comon man. If anything you should be at least trying to correct me or teach me so that I can at least be successful. Unless your just being a hater. I know the type of people some of you guys can be. Super proud about your shit. That your like
Oh another noob thinking he can just install
Camera systems without doing research when in fact your wrong. THATS
the point of the thread. So that I can gather more information and learn from people. I'm
Sure all of you weren't born with the knowledge. That you've learned from
Someone or along the way. But imm trying to do the same. And get opinions and tips. Granted. There's tons of threads. But I have a specific question that I wanted a suggestion and used them as an example and right away I get stabbed from every direction

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why you talking to me like that. Just because I asked some specific question although broad. Which I actually had written a post but didn't post it by mistake and it said. I know I know that's a broad queetiom depending on a lot of factors and all. But. You killed me real quick. Telling I'm
Not good enough and shouldn't be doing it. Like comon man. If anything you should be at least trying to correct me or teach me so that I can at least be successful. Unless your just being a hater. I know the type of people some of you guys can be. Super proud about your shit. That your like
the point of the thread. So that I can gather more information and learn from people. I'm
Someone or along the way. But imm trying to do the same. And get opinions and tips. Granted. There's tons of threads. But I have a specific question that I wanted a suggestion and used them as an example and right away I get stabbed from every direction

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. In fact I am experienced with networking. I do it for a living. So don't assume. I know exactly what I am doing and yes I can setup VPNS AND keep them secure if need me that's not what the problem is. The problem is choosing a system and all that. Damn man. I came on the forum thinking I would meet some cool people and helpful. But seems like everyone's here to attack and put me down as if immsome dumb ass. You don't know wh type of skill I have man. Just because I'm not familiar with camera systems doesn't mean I'm not skilled in IT. THATS MY JOB man. And I'm trying to expand and add security systems to it. But I just wanted to get some suggestions. But all I've gotten was hateful responses.
Man, its like this man, we were not all born with knowledge man...however, we did not go around installing these systems for others when we had no clue, man..
Your posts indicate that you know absolutely NOTHING about surveillance cameras. So you need to stop crying like a baby man, and LEARN before installing for others.
FYI, in many states if not most you need proper licensing to install surveillance cameras,,,man..
You have quite a set of balls charging for something when you have zero experience in this field. You are a danger man..

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like any network question or problem you have at work.... doing a search will answer all of your questions.... tons of people ask the same stuff you just did...i was one of them...spend some time to do some reading on here and you will be fine... after you get the knowledge you can answer your own question on pricing since u will know what lay out and camera types you need.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Josef,
Again, welcome to our forum. We're pleased to have a range of folks from newbie to expert.
It makes this forum best for IP cams.
I and others gave feedback, some was hard to swallow I'm sure.
That advice stands. Ur reply not withstanding.
This is a frank and mostly civil forum. If u don't like curse words, brutally honest feedback, or to listen to ppl more experienced than you, this forum isn't for you.
And Plz, put more details into your next question, instead of what will my h/w cost, and what can I charge for getting my customer on line.
Plz don't reply now. Think for a day or two
Fastv