HFW2231T-ZS Base does not turn

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As in the title the mounting base plate does not spin allowing for adjustment of the camera position.

Shouldn't it be free to turn with the set screw loosened or in my case fully removed?

20220612_165646.jpg

20220612_165709.jpg

In its original location from new the ability to rotate the base plate didn't really effect anything, installed pointed straight out. Now I want to move it to a new spot and camera fine adjustment after screwing in place would be simplified it allowing to do so. IE don't have to decide/figure exact angle while putting the screws in.

This one wont budge and I don't want to bust it forcing something that is "fixed" as non adjustable at the factory all while appearing functional. I just can't see it being in a "fixed" position intentionally? I mean would piss poor design as part of a camera's mount system.

I grabbed it with a small pair of channel locks with a rag and my hand on the plate side and nothing. So do I just have to try harder, clamp it in a vise break it loose? or no never intended to rotate there at the base plate?

Thanks, Dan

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep it rotates. It looks like a bit of rust so it is probably frozen with rust.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep it rotates. It looks like a bit of rust so it is probably frozen with rust.
Ok I'll try putting more effort into it but it has never rotated from when new and directly out of the box.

Thread where I asked about it after first putting it up.

No nut behind it. It was fine the way it was, intended to revisit the next time I moved it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - maybe a defect because mine certainly turned.

Or maybe the paint locked it up from factory?

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Knowing that it should turn no longer any question about that, I got after it.

Took quite a bit of forced but once it moved I was able to separate it and clean it up.

Was heavy with machining/mill scale then painted and dried locking it in place, adjustable now like I believed it had to be.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Get some stuff called "Kroil" or even Liquid Wrench. Both are penetrating lubricants. They use a mystery metal for these mounts and they corrode pretty badly over time. Give it a shot or either one, a good, heavy, shot and let everything sit for a day before having a go at it again if it happens to you again.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Get some stuff called "Kroil" or even Liquid Wrench. Both are penetrating lubricants. They use a mystery metal for these mounts and they corrode pretty badly over time. Give it a shot or either one, a good, heavy, shot and let everything sit for a day before having a go at it again if it happens to you again.
Yeah no rust and corrosion just what are likely rare events made it non adjustable getting missed by QC. I put shields over cameras so they do not get hit by rain, snow nor to a great degree even direct sunshine.

Machining debris plus mill scale not cleared away before assembly, paint got into the joint with that material fusing it into a fixed position.

Just wanted to make sure before I snapped it off being wrong, that it was not built to rotate on that model lol.