Hi, A newbie here. Is BI really the best? Any other

Tramsrepus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I was seconds from pressing on the BI's "buy" button when i realize that i have hadn't read anything about their mobile app (Android). Once i did it was not a pleasant reading. The reviews was not that good. So i am hesitating. Also, by charging for support, it will be in BI's interest to keep bugs and errors in the software to force people to sign up for a support plan.

If any one here thinking any other software is better, paid or fee i don't mind paying for a good software if it is "the best", please let me know its pros and cons.

I only have today (and night), Sunday, to sort this out and make a decision, install and configure it for our workplace before work starts on Monday.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only have today (and night), Sunday, to sort this out and make a decision, install and configure it for our workplace before work starts on Monday.
There are other VMS's out there.

Any CCTV system requires careful planning. I think you are being overly optimistic in being able to configure anything by tomorrow regardless of your ability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was seconds from pressing on the BI's "buy" button when i realize that i have hadn't read anything about their mobile app (Android). Once i did it was not a pleasant reading. The reviews was not that good. So i am hesitating. Also, by charging for support, it will be in BI's interest to keep bugs and errors in the software to force people to sign up for a support plan.

If any one here thinking any other software is better, paid or fee i don't mind paying for a good software if it is "the best", please let me know its pros and cons.

Are you stupid or just playing stupid on the internet? 4.1 stars is not good? Most of complaints are users whose errors are caused by their own faults and it's obvious by the posts.
Please tell me about any other company that sells software that does not charge for support? Most charge way more than $30 per year, and many don't even offer the first year of support for free, usually it's just 90 days.
Your logic is flawed too. To allege someone would deliberately sabotage their own software is idiotic at best. Even if somebody did that it would not increase support purchases users would just wait until others with support packages or free support report the bug. Do you bother to think before you make idiotic allegations?
That said there are much better enterprise software packages look at avigilon. They charge for support too, much more than blueiris, so they're probably pushing bugs as well? They also charge a per camera licensing fee and upgrades will be costly. Also note that avigilon's mobile app score is lower than blueiris.
Something tells me you are full of shit and don't want to pay 70-150 per camera in licensing fees. You are more than likely using $30 cameras and are now asking for "the best" VMS. However, you are not willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why get in such a hurry when trying to determine the best value in a VMS purchase? Why try to make that determination, purchase, install, learn and configure in 2 days? Did your boss pile this on you at the last minute? If so, grow a pair and demand more time. If it's a self-imposed deadline...move it a few days forward.

Give me a break, man. Either trust the positive reviews, squeeze out $60 to purchase IMO the absolute BEST value in VMS software available and move on. I've spent $60 on a pair of pants and a shirt and it only took me a few minutes to decide to do so.

Or you could spend a heckuva lot more $$$ on VMS software that will take you probably a LOT more than 2 days to implement.

Ask yourself this...and this applies to any unknown purchase: would you prefer to spend $60 on something that doesn't work / you can't figure out or 10 times that amount on something else that doesn't work / you can't figure out? :wtf:

Tramsrepus

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow wow go slow on the bottle or whatever it is you are on...

There are a lot of assumptions from your side:
1, Yea perhaps stupid, maybe an handicap i have, but im not bashing people for their handicaps. S bit unprofessional I may think.
2,The app. I just read the comments, I did never say it was a bad software. I just had to reflected over it. It isnt anyway for my to try it before buy so the only thing i have to go one are the reviews. Is that so strange????
3,The support. True, some charges for support but far from all, Better to include it in the purchase prices in my opinion, just my opinion. The assumption that software developers keep bugs and complicates things comes from what i have seen from CAD programs that we have been using over the 25 years we have been in that business.. Unfortunately the sentence got a bit wrong as a (may)be got lost and got harsher on BI then necessary, sorry for that. I'm not native English, but still no excuse for my ignorance.
4, Okay we will take look at Avigilon, thanks.
5, You should really need a few lessons in human behavior or you are just piss drunk and will delete this post tomorrow. True we have looked at 30 usd camera as same of them seems to outperform much more expensive ones and we are planing to set up 25-30 cameras. We would be stupid (yea i know again) if not looking into it.

@TonyR I hear what you are saying. You are right, it is bit short of time. The thing is that our old DRV system is packing down and I have for a few days tested a few PC-based systems, and im far from an computer expert so it is very time consuming, I could just install what ever for now but I don't want to spend a lot of time later on "the wrong system"

Being bashed by Fenderman, in this maner makes one doubt even more if he is actually a member of BI's customer care team. Lets hope he is not. Anyway I did the purchase earlier today anyway and lets hope it works well..... And that Mr. Fenderman's hangover tomorrow is not that bad.

Thanks

Are you stupid or just playing stupid on the internet? 4.1 stars is not good? Most of complaints are users whose errors are caused by their own faults and it's obvious by the posts.
Please tell me about any other company that sells software that does not charge for support? Most charge way more than $30 per year, and many don't even offer the first year of support for free, usually it's just 90 days.
Your logic is flawed too. To allege someone would deliberately sabotage their own software is idiotic at best. Even if somebody did that it would not increase support purchases users would just wait until others with support packages or free support report the bug. Do you bother to think before you make idiotic allegations?
That said there are much better enterprise software packages look at avigilon. They charge for support too, much more than blueiris, so they're probably pushing bugs as well? They also charge a per camera licensing fee and upgrades will be costly. Also note that avigilon's mobile app score is lower than blueiris.
Something tells me you are full of shit and don't want to pay 70-150 per camera in licensing fees. You are more than likely using $30 cameras and are now asking for "the best" VMS. However, you are not willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are other VMS that you could probably argue are better... they are just A LOT more expensive. Blue Iris is a great value compared to other VMS that cost thousands of dollars.

Some aren't better, some are just more expensive.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR I hear what you are saying. You are right, it is bit short of time. The thing is that our old DRV system is packing down and I have for a few days tested a few PC-based systems, and im far from an computer expert so it is very time consuming, I could just install what ever for now but I don't want to spend a lot of time later on "the wrong system"
Glad you purchased BI, but to get the best performance insure it is running on a PC that meets NOT the minimum specs listed on BI's website, but meets or exceeds those set forth in the Wiki above, "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris".
Also, be sure to optimize the PC's settings, also found in the Wiki, "Optimizing Blue Iris' CPU Usage".
Lastly, read the Cliff Notes (also in the Wiki) regarding camera selection, mounting and configuration.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow wow go slow on the bottle or whatever it is you are on...

There are a lot of assumptions from your side:
1, Yea perhaps stupid, maybe an handicap i have, but im not bashing people for their handicaps. S bit unprofessional I may think.
2,The app. I just read the comments, I did never say it was a bad software. I just had to reflected over it. It isnt anyway for my to try it before buy so the only thing i have to go one are the reviews. Is that so strange????
3,The support. True, some charges for support but far from all, Better to include it in the purchase prices in my opinion, just my opinion. The assumption that software developers keep bugs and complicates things comes from what i have seen from CAD programs that we have been using over the 25 years we have been in that business.. Unfortunately the sentence got a bit wrong as a (may)be got lost and got harsher on BI then necessary, sorry for that. I'm not native English, but still no excuse for my ignorance.
4, Okay we will take look at Avigilon, thanks.
5, You should really need a few lessons in human behavior or you are just piss drunk and will delete this post tomorrow. True we have looked at 30 usd camera as same of them seems to outperform much more expensive ones and we are planing to set up 25-30 cameras. We would be stupid (yea i know again) if not looking into it.

Being bashed by Fenderman, in this maner makes one doubt even more if he is actually a member of BI's customer care team. Lets hope he is not. Anyway I did the purchase earlier today anyway and lets hope it works well..... And that Mr. Fenderman's hangover tomorrow is not that bad.

Thanks
You did say the reviews were not good. That was a lie. You do understand that what 4.1 out of 5 means? Do you know the average score of any app?
Show me a VMS that does not charge for support or for that matter any paid for software. Your english is just fine. You meant to say what you said and its insane. You are just an idiot. You will NOT buy avigilon because you cannot afford the license. You can barely afford a proper camera. IF you think a 30 dollar cameras outperforms more expensive cams you are a bigger fool than initially tought.
I was not drunk. I HATE lying idiots like you. I have no connection to blue iris and have even posted publicly that the developer can fuck off if he does not like my comments. Make that accusation again here and you will be banned for life. No go read the wiki and learn something.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great post. And I don't care what the product is, when you read some of the 1 star to 3 star (CRAP section) ratings it goes like this (product is a bread machine):
  • "It did not come with bread mix."
  • "What a joke! This thing plugs into the wall for power !"
  • "The picture showed a white machine and the selection allowed for white or black. When I clicked on the black machine and added to my cart, 3 days later I got a @#$% black machine! I wanted a red machine."
  • "I'm giving this bread machine 1 star because, well...I'm a moron and cannot read."
  • "I can't figure out where to put the coffee filter."