Hi All...Help with Home Auto/IP Cam Config

Peter Mack

n3wb
Reaction score
Happy too join forum, excited to hear from community, like to pre thank for any input.

With so many afforable IP Cams and home automation devices out there, I have been thinking that the demand for these systems must be sky high right now.

I want to be able to install Scalable, Customizable, and Multifunctional home automation and surveillance packages for people that consist of:
Multiple Indoor and Outdoor IP Cams
Doorbell Cam(s)
Security System (Door, Window & Driveway sens)
Automated Thermostat, Lighting, Power
Remote Doorlocks

Those are the main components I want to be able to weave together in a single customizable and scalable system that can be easily accessed and monitored with a single piece of software. This is where I need some guidance.

I am familiar with Zoneminder, Ispy and Shinobi open source IP cam/device software platforms. Am familiar with Blink, Zmodo and several remote lock hardware devices. However I would like to be able to offer people one piece of software that they can use to access the range of devices I outlined above, providing a single access point to control their entire home system, instead of toggling around different applications like I do now.

Would someone, who is well versed in the different software apps, and how they work, offer up some help if they were to setup this comprehensive home automation and surveillance systems themselves. What software could be used, what hardware devices to look to, and if the only solution would involve writing to the API of these varying applications in order to be able to access and control all these devices at once, in one place. Web based scripts? Limitations of different options, etc...

I know this is a lot, and I didn't want to be asking you guys to do my job for me and give free consulting :) , but with all the different devices and open source code for IP Cams that I've found I am having a hard time focusing narrowing down and honing in on one soft sms hard solution for what I'm envisioning and trying to accomplish.

Thanks so much for any help.

Pete Mack

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy too join forum, excited to hear from community, like to pre thank for any input.

With so many afforable IP Cams and home automation devices out there, I have been thinking that the demand for these systems must be sky high right now.
I am familiar with Zoneminder, Ispy and Shinobi open source IP cam/device software platforms. Am familiar with Blink, Zmodo and several remote lock hardware devices. ..with all the different devices and open source code for IP Cams that I've found I am having a hard time focusing narrowing down and honing in on one soft sms hard solution for what I'm envisioning and trying to accomplish.

Thanks so much for any help.

Pete Mack
Hi Pete,

Have you looked at any open source specs for home automation?
Perhaps that would be a good place to start.

Also note, the company behind zmodo sucks. It has to be one of the worst brands I have seen on Amazon. Absolutely fraudulent representation of their products. Not to be trusted.