Hi, I'm looking to build a 5 camera PC POE system, looking for suggestions

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading and looking for a good home setup, the forum is full of great info, but it's a bit overwhelming!
I'm trying to put together the shopping list, at the moment I'm inclined towards using an old pc with Iris, so I would need:
  1. a POE switch, maybe this one? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-channel-poe-switch-3pcs-a-lot/1532942442.html
  2. 5 cameras, I'm thinking about these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newest-H-265-IP-Camera-4-0-megapixel-V5-3-3-Multi-Language-IR-Bullet/32448580842.html
  3. some cat6 cable and connectors etc from the local hardware shop
Do I need anything else? Suggestions for a different setup is welcome.
How would I go about connecting my pc to the alarm system, and maybe send sms's when there is a motion detection?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I was considering that Dahua, but I really liked that the other camera can record H.265, which would probably result in a better video quality (I already shoot H.265 on Samsung mirrorless cameras, like nx500 and nx1), although I'm not sure how good the encoder inside the cameras is. Why do you think the Dahua is better suited?

My old PC has a intel core 2duo e4600, I'm not really sure whether it will be enough. Considering I might have to buy a new motherboard/cpu/add some ram + a POE switch, maybe it would be more convenient to buy a NVR?
I really like flexibility and to tinker with stuff, but in the end I will use the security system to monitor the perimeter of my house, and would like to record only clips with motion detection, + maybe a camera to save jpegs every 10-60 minutes to create a year long timelapse (which I will compile into a video from jpegs).

I've tried to research the advantages and disadvantages of PC vs NVR, but aside from "flexibility" and easy of use of Iris vs a more difficult NVR setup I can't really see/know the differences.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
h265 quality is not better than h264, its a higher compression.. so infact the quality is worse... but if you really what it, there are h265 dahua's just the same..

Hik does region locking, buy china cameras and they wont mix and match with non-china cameras.. and if you ever try to do a firmware upgrade, you'll end up with a brick.. this reason alone is more than enough to avoid em at all costs.

core2duo wont be enough.. you need a CPU with QuickSync Video support or it'll just run at max load and struggle.

If you want advanced motion processing then BI is your best bet, I just record 24/7/365 cause HDD's are cheap as shit, now I have almost no use for motion detection, and thus BlueIris.. my hardware NVR does a great job at just recording while sipping on electricity. (15w max)

dalepa

Reaction score
your on the right track... old pc, if you mean i7-3770, then your good... Otherwise you may need to upgrade to at least something like these

I like the DS-2CD3345-I.

Not sure bout getting my POE switches from china unless someone has a track record on them... TP-LINK is a good US choice.

seem my DALEPA RECOMMENDS for extra gear...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
That's a great advice @nayr, I will definitely go the Dahua route.

Which NVR do you use or recommend? Don't they have motion detection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
@dalepa

I might as well throw my old pc in the bin, it has a E4600 cpu, definetely too old, I was hoping that it would be enough with the option to directly write to disk, but unfortunately this is not the case.

That TP link only has 4 POE, are the other 4 ports not powered?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Dahua NVR 4216-4k, it supports h265 cameras and cameras with IVS (Line-Cross, Intrusion Detection, Face Detection, etc) as well as basic motion detection.. if your going to use camera based presence detection you definitely want the line-cross and/or intrusion detection as its soo much more effective than the simple pixel changing motion processing.

Confirm with the seller that IVS features are included in a Dahua your interested in, on many models its listed as optional.. and if your counting on it to be there, you need to make sure it is before spending money.

Ive seen BluIris absolutely crush >300W of computing power on just a few cameras, there are a few paths that will get you great performance at about a ~50w envelope, but its very specific chipsets required to pull that off.. BI is great software, much more capable than any hardware NVR ive ever encountered.. but only if you do your research and plan accordingly.. people who run it on some spare computers they have lying around are often very disappointed in how much resources it requires.. HD video is not an easy thing to deal with, without hardware acceleration its nearly unusable.

dalepa

Reaction score
Only 4 POE ports on this model. need more ports, get 2 and chain them together using the non Poe ports

@dalepa

I might as well throw my old pc in the bin, it has a E4600 cpu, definetely too old, I was hoping that it would be enough with the option to directly write to disk, but unfortunately this is not the case.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@dalepa

Click on the center choice in that link. 8 port POE+.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera, but NVR has to know how to read the trigger to start recording.

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you going to buy China Ali cameras, go for a Dahua camera instead of Hikvision..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-4MP-Camera-Mic-built-in-IPC-HDW4421C-A-IR-Full-HD-IP-POE-Dome/32625578527.html

If you have an alarm system forget about the cameras sending you SMS's, the'll just spam you all day and night.

Whats this old PC? We need some specs, Bi runs like shit on old PC's.. most people have to buy a new dedicated machine to get decent results.
difference between IPC-HDW4421C-A and IPC-HDW4421S?
is there a link explaining all the suffix for dahua cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the former has audio

-A = Audio
-S = IVS Features
-AS = Audio + IVS

so it seems.

ineedcam27

n3wb
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4216-4k is what I use, id buy a 16ch nvr even with 5-6 cameras.. you'll get the bug and those 2 extra slots will go fast.

ineedcam27

n3wb
Reaction score
4216-4k is what I use, id buy a 16ch nvr even with 5-6 cameras.. you'll get the bug and those 2 extra slots will go fast.
hi nayr, is there a preferred vendor on aliexpress that you use? wow this dvr has a 4k input. whats the next one down you recommend from this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I strictly buy from whomever is cheapest shipped, there is practically no difference between em.

I paid ~$250 shipped for mine, nothing less would I recommend.. the 4k and h265 support is wise to have right now, dont want to limit your self.. were on a cusp and 4k video is the next big thing.

ps: that video you linked above is actually from a member of ours here, alibaba sellers been stealing his bird videos