Hi! Just Joined!

penguin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey folks! I found this forum after much frustrating and searching on the internet answers to my questions. Total newbie, so please have patience :)

So pretty much the home I bought had security cameras installed back in 2008. Lately I noticed that the DVR (Nuvico EV-4000) has stopped recording. This triggered me to want to go to a cloud-based storage system. But before I can decide on which cloud-based system/cameras to buy, I gotta know what kind of cables are in my walls. It's been super frustrating trying to figure out what's in my walls without ripping a big hole. I'm hoping some detective work could help answer this puzzle!

So here's what I know:

• System was installed in 2008 in a new construction home. Two outdoor security cameras.
  • Co-ax cable connected to the DVR Nuvico EV-4000
  • I've been talking with Nuvico and they don't believe the cameras are Nuvico products
  • Tried to take down the camera to see what cables hide behind. Tried twisting off, tried if it were a ring lock design. Failed!
  • Pics below show 2 views of the camera.
  • I also tried sticking a screw driver into the rectangle little cut outs and popping the camera off (see pic below). Was only able to get the bottom half to release 1/4 inch from the wall. Camera is still anchored to the wall at the 12 o' clock position.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great weekend!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@penguin Welcome to the forum..if you have coax at the dvr end, you have coax at the camera end.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@penguin as Fenderman stated, what is at the DVR will be at the camera. Also, that rectangle on the back of the camera is actually a cable passthough, not a spot to shove a screw driver. There most likely is 2 or 3 mounting screws that are behind the ball inside the ring. Since you said the ring does not screw off that small hole is most likely a 1mm wrench, most likely if you break that lose you can then spin the ring off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That small hole is why it is locked, once you unscrew that it'll twists off. You should have RG59 or Siamese (RG59 + 18/2 linked together)

look for HD TVI or HD CVI system if you want to upgrade and keep your cables.

Cheers.

penguin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice @fenderman, @zero-degrees, and @Fruit! Tried to unscrew that pin hole with an allen wrench size 0.05 and 1/16. Neither seem to work. Was I suppose to use a different wrench? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice @fenderman, @zero-degrees, and @Fruit! Tried to unscrew that pin hole with an allen wrench size 0.05 and 1/16. Neither seem to work. Was I suppose to use a different wrench? Thanks again!
Honestly I would have thought that would do it, unless, like the HIK products it is a security screw. However, that is an older generic basic camera so I can't believe it is a security screw. Sorry man, best advice I can give at this point is to just rip the damn thing off that wooden mount, if your trashing and replacing anyways...

Good Luck!