Hi, new to this forum and experimenting.

Reaction score
Well hello there.
I am new to this forum and just starting out with a few cameras attached to my PC in the hope of discovering what to buy.
I have figured I will need seven cameras. My first question is, as I already have an 8 port switch with 4 of the ports POE.
Should I buy a 4 port POE NVR to give me an 8 port POE capability or should I buy an 8 port POE NVR which would give me 12 POE ports and 4 non-powered ports? Even though only 3 POE cams will connect to the NVR?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can not just add cameras to an NVR. the NVR is limited by its design. So if the NVR is designed for 8 cameras, that is all it will handle.
Most NVRs are under powered, so it is recommend to buy a bigger NVR than you think you will need. So it you think you will need 8 cameras, buy a 16 camera NVR.
It is also recommend to purchase your cameras and NVR from the same manufacture. Mixing nvr and cameras will cause a loss in advance features .
Also be careful in mixing Chinese hacked equipment and international equipment from the same manufacture, it may not work well together.

Just because an NVR said it will support 8 cameras does not mean it will support eight 4K cameras, it may only support 2 4K cameras. You have to look at the data processing rate.

I recommend looking a Blue Iris system for use as an NVR, it is excellent.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK thanks for the suggestion guys. I have gone for an 8 port POE Annke NVR model number N48PAW. I will see how that works with my existing cameras. I have a feeling this is going to be hours of fun - not.