Hickvision cam with foscam NVR

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

In my home I have 2 NVR's . Ones the main hickvision for recording and the others a very cheap foscam 4 (FN3004) channel basically used to view footage locally with a monitor connected.

I have 4 hickvision cameras and all work fine on my hickvison NVR and I've had no problems viewing 3 of them on the foscam. The problem is the 4th which I've only just bought which is a DS-2CD2145F-I it works fine with the hickvision but Im having troubles with the foscam NVR

I can get the foscam to pick all the camera's up ONVIF no problem. I put all the user passwords in and no matter what the newest cam won't connect. The only way I've once managed to get 4 streams was by switching the NVR off over night and then it finally connected and I can't seem to get it to connect again using the same method?

Ive noticed that the foscam picks the latest cam up as unknown rather than the name of the camera/device ( DS-2CD2145F-I) I'm not sure if this is buggy firmware on the NVR or camera itself but is there anyway of renaming the camera. Ive logged into each cam and they are all setup the same and all seemed to be named.

Im a bit lost as to what to try next?

Any ideas guys?

Thankyou

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 4 hickvision cameras and all work fine on my hickvison NVR and I've had no problems viewing 3 of them on the foscam.
The models and settings of the cameras would help in making useful suggestions for problem-solving.
Maybe the problem could be linked to the possibility these are not the same model.
What models are the 3 that work OK, and what resolution do you have them set to?
The Foscam NVR technical data shows a decoding resolution of 1080p maximum.
What resolution do you have your DS-2CD2145F-I set to?
And presumably it's set to use h.264 for the encoder.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I don't know the camera models as I'm not at home right now.

All 4 cams are different and all of them are set to 720p and h.264. and Ive set each them up like for like.

I might try wiping the camera settings and starting again but it seems strange they all work fine on the hikvision NVR.

It seems to me its a connection fault as the green light saying its connected successfully on the NVR comes on and then a few seconds laters it goes off.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I'm going to replace this foscam NVR with something else.

Can anyone recommend me a very basic NVR similar to FN3004 which works with hikvision cameras. Don't really want to spend a load if I can help it as It's only used for viewing the camera's locally as I have a main hickvision NVR for recording.

Ideally want motion detection support which the foscam doesant support with other branded cams.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Many thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to replace this foscam NVR with something else.
Good move!
You are wasting the camera's potential with that.
Hikvision do a low cost mini NVR - DS71xx though with some limitations on encoding performance.
I have no experience or knowledge of this model - but there are posts on here about it.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - Ive had a look at the 7104N and it looks ideal and can be picked up for the same price as the foscam FN3004.

One quick question not sure if anyone can tell me? My hickvision camera over the front door has a microphone built in. Is it possible to have live audio through the audio out port of the NVR?

Thanks