Hiding camera in plain sight, frontyard?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI, Is there a good thread here on hiding cameras in your yard? In plain sight. For example in a birdhouse, mailbox, tree etc? I looked but didnt find anything.

Much appreciated, Im just looking for ideas for my mailbox project. Im building a new mailbox from brick.

Thank you

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a few threads floating around here of cameras in birdhouses, fake rocks, in trees/bushes, landscape lighting, etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes!!! Thank you so much. Im on it. Going to read each one entirely. Much appreciated.
There's also this I started in March of '21, be sure to also view its second page:

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's also this I started in March of '21, be sure to also view its second page:
Awesome, thank you!

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I never thought much about this, as I always wanted cams I install to be highly visible (but out of reach)... the deterrent effect I guess.
But recently, I was looking to install another camera in back of our house (in addition to the usual locations). I decided to set up a steel pipe, mount the cam atop it. But, in a hurry, wanting to get something done that day to test out new cameras and system, I quickly attached a black camera to a pine tree in the yard. Connected using black Ubiquiti Tough cable, didn't think much of it. Got busy on other projects, installing other cameras around our large tract of property. Then one day, I'm going thru logged events for video recorded that day... turns out the tree cam was very active, and not for the usual reasons (normally it's critters from raccoons to bears setting off motion detection). Nope, this time it's a guy, trying intently to break into our house.. for 5 solid minutes. He's wearing a clever disguise, an bright yellow Hi-Vis OSHA t-shirt, so he sort of stood out like a sore thumb. His first act was to grab a very short stick, to try to knock out of alignment or break one of my cameras, about 10 ft (3m) up. He was totally unaware of other cameras, also in the FoV, all recording him in UHD. He managed to knock the one camera up, but ironically it had gone offline that morning,,, so he was wasting his time, looking stupid like he's playing hockey with a short stick trying to hit the camera. Several times, he walks right past the black tree cam, never even saw it. Never saw other cams either, but did spot one which overlooks our front porch. But, he forgot it was there and later walked right into view before realiziing he was on candid cam, again. Finally he gave up (lucky for him) and he scurried away empty handed, but soon to be famous.
Moral of story.. not always necessary to go to extremes to conceal a camera. Sometimes people will miss them right in plain sight. Guess we're so acccustomed to them, folks just don't "see" them anymore. But, just in case: I now mount a fake cam or few out in plain view. It will draw attention, and often causes people to stop looking for other cameras in more remote areas. I no longer toss out old or dead cameras... I use them as decoys, since they are real, they look real... just no longer working... It's amazing how many people often never even notice the conspicuous real cams, let alone those better hidden or disguised. Such as the wannabe B&E artist who now has his mugshot all over our community, incl with local law enforcement... :facepalm:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Concealing a frontyard camera in plain sight demands a balance between visibility and subtlety. Opt for strategic placement within decorative elements or outdoor fixtures, ensuring it aligns with the surroundings. Camouflaging with planters or artistic features can provide effective yet discreet surveillance. Prioritize a clear line of sight while seamlessly integrating the camera into the landscape for optimal security.
Again I ask.....How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Concealing a frontyard camera in plain sight demands a balance between visibility and subtlety. Opt for strategic placement within decorative elements or outdoor fixtures, ensuring it aligns with the surroundings. Camouflaging with planters or artistic features can provide effective yet discreet surveillance. Prioritize a clear line of sight while seamlessly integrating the camera into the landscape for optimal security.
I don't try to hide my cameras out of sight, in fact I have yard signs posted that security cameras are in use. Number one it is a deterrent, and number two people can't say they didn't know they were being recorded while on my property.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts on how ai and bots are dramatically changing forums .. who can we trust anymore ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI, Is there a good thread here on hiding cameras in your yard? In plain sight. For example in a birdhouse, mailbox, tree etc? I looked but didnt find anything.

Much appreciated, Im just looking for ideas for my mailbox project. Im building a new mailbox from brick.

Thank you
You could paint cam(s) black or use camo tape (like @Parley) and hide cam(s) in a plastic plant on either side of the mail box in the spaces that look like they're for plants. :cool:

mailbox-planter.jpg plastic-plant.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have done two birdhouse cameras with great success. On rare occasion a bird checks them out, 99% of the time they leave them alone. A couple cedar fence pickets can be bought for under $10 at a big box store. Use screws instead of nails so you can access the camera if needed. Use a Milwaukee HoleDozer bit to cut the lens opening. I have two Dahua Birdhouse Cam's in use; a 5442 birdhouse and an 1831 birdhouse. Only basic carpentry skills are required.