High CPU since last week BI update

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi,

I have W10 pro riding on Intel i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz, 8 vCPUs. 12GB RAM, SDD 240GB (Program + DB) + WD HDD (surveillance) 2TB. Sophos local exclusions and also cloud settings BI files/folders exclusion are already in place.
I have plenty of free ram and disk space. 18 Hik Cams 15FPS with Iframe every 15, VBR (higher), 2MP. Also 1 300k 15fps and another 2M 15 fps.
BI process mem before the update was 3.1GB
Since last weekend BI monthly update to 5.2.5.9 and also W10 .net as part of monthly update, reboot OS, my CPU is at 100% with sever OS performance impact.

To make few days long story short:
i found out cameras were HW accl = off, so i turned it back to default. my default settings is/was intel unchanged. it didn't help. updated my intel HD4000 (I have Intel quicksync) driver to latest 10.18.10.5129 from Intel, rebooted, didn't help.
I have reviewed the great! CPU/performance article here + entire latest blueiris.pdf and actually 90% of my tweaks were already in place (long list, you name it, i will answer) - however I mainly now checked "Also BVR" in all cameras (see soon why)
Also tried different HW acceleration (DXVA2, D3D11VA and Intel beta) but no affect.

I was able to make process CPU at 50%ish only after disabling 5 cams, leave 15 live. It didn't matter which one i disabled, so it's not specific cams issue.
once i login with my mobile app to view any live cam or playback any cam video, it adds 40%ish and soon my total OS will reach 100%.
Even when i add 1 addition camera, regardless which, it spiked to near 100%.
BI process mem now is at 2.7 GB

GPUz- indicating around 50% load (can't see GPU in task manager since WDDM is 1.3 and < 2.0 to enable it in task manager). Also it shows 104 deg on GPU. Main CPU is at 56 deg which looks ok.
I thought it maybe GPU issue or thermal paste renew required on CPU, but, it doesn't explain how it was OK before that update.
note that comparing the BI bottom total OS CPU usage to the task manager total CPU usage yields that the BI counter shows more than task manager reported which not clear why or if related to root cause.

I have extended support, opened ticket to Ken but no response till now.
After many tests i have left of any ideas except replace thermal paste, CPU itself (GPU is separate chip?) or entire board+CPU which means reinstall SW again.

Any kind of help is appreciated

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You aren't the only one with performance problems after the last few BI updates. Have you tried the "Intel + VPP" hardware acceleration option? In later versions that one typically runs better. For me on an i7-8700K I had to change to "Intel + VPP" just to get back normal CPU and GPU usage levels, and playing clips makes usage surge up much higher than it should. I'm pretty sure the "+ VPP" part is simply a misnaming at this point.

56°C is fine, maybe even a bit low for a CPU under load. 104°C is really high. Although the max temperature for i7-3770 is I believe 105°C, ideally you should see lower temperatures, like 90°C or less even with the Intel stock cooler. If either component is thermal throttling you should be able to see that in hardware monitoring tools. See how bad the dust buildup is and make sure the fan on the heatsink still moves air. Replacing just the thermal paste is likely not going to accomplish anything unless it was improperly installed in the first place. You might want an aftermarket CPU cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or similar, if there is room in the case.

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks,

I switched to +VPP, restarted service, but it seems not to make any difference to symptoms. Moved it back to Intel.

I used some CPU analyzer and captured when no playback, no stream, only 15 cams live with ok CPU usage as described above:
1587448935345.png

Now with single addon: watch 1 live camera from android app (BI process almost double, total OS almost 100%, processor queue length raised):
1587449062580.png

Hope this new phenomenon resolved soon.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You aren't the only one with performance problems after the last few BI updates. Have you tried the "Intel + VPP" hardware acceleration option? In later versions that one typically runs better. For me on an i7-8700K I had to change to "Intel + VPP" just to get back normal CPU and GPU usage levels, and playing clips makes usage surge up much higher than it should. I'm pretty sure the "+ VPP" part is simply a misnaming at this point.

56°C is fine, maybe even a bit low for a CPU under load. 104°C is really high. Although the max temperature for i7-3770 is I believe 105°C, ideally you should see lower temperatures, like 90°C or less even with the Intel stock cooler. If either component is thermal throttling you should be able to see that in hardware monitoring tools. See how bad the dust buildup is and make sure the fan on the heatsink still moves air. Replacing just the thermal paste is likely not going to accomplish anything unless it was improperly installed in the first place. You might want an aftermarket CPU cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or similar, if there is room in the case.
Thermal paste typically lasts around 3-5 years with 8 years around the top limit for the newest and best pastes, so it depends on how old the system is. After that it can dry out and crack and become less thermally conductive. The best thermal paste these days is liquid metal but it's a real pain, only suited to limited applications (it eats aluminium, literally (!) :oops: (it will rapidly spread at crystaline level through out the metal like an infection and destroy the structure of anything aluminium reducing it to a liquid or brittle crumbly mass), so aluminium heat sinks are a no no and it's conductive if you get over spill so it can short your MB!), and overkill for our purposes. Other good pastes are Thermal Grisly's Kryonaut, Gelid Solutions GC Extreme and at the less expensive less extreme end, Artic MX4.

Newer, Intel processor do run hot though. I have a 3600K running on good old Artic Silver 5 and my idle temps on stock cooler are 27*C with 35-40*C under load.

I wouldn't rule out re-seating your heat sink with new compound, but the usual suspect for high temps is poor case air flow, so clean filters, blow dust from fans with high pressure air, vac your case out and also blow compressed air through the CPU cooler. You'd be surprised how much dust and fluff gets caught between the CPU cooler fins and this seriously impacts cooling performance. You can lose a few degrees on cpu cooler alone.

ts55dlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have W10 pro riding on Intel i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz, 8 vCPUs. 12GB RAM, SDD 240GB (Program + DB) + WD HDD (surveillance) 2TB. Sophos local exclusions and also cloud settings BI files/folders exclusion are already in place.
I have plenty of free ram and disk space. 18 Hik Cams 15FPS with Iframe every 15, VBR (higher), 2MP. Also 1 300k 15fps and another 2M 15 fps.
BI process mem before the update was 3.1GB
Since last weekend BI monthly update to 5.2.5.9 and also W10 .net as part of monthly update, reboot OS, my CPU is at 100% with sever OS performance impact.

To make few days long story short:
i found out cameras were HW accl = off, so i turned it back to default. my default settings is/was intel unchanged. it didn't help. updated my intel HD4000 (I have Intel quicksync) driver to latest 10.18.10.5129 from Intel, rebooted, didn't help.
I have reviewed the great! CPU/performance article here + entire latest blueiris.pdf and actually 90% of my tweaks were already in place (long list, you name it, i will answer) - however I mainly now checked "Also BVR" in all cameras (see soon why)
Also tried different HW acceleration (DXVA2, D3D11VA and Intel beta) but no affect.

I was able to make process CPU at 50%ish only after disabling 5 cams, leave 15 live. It didn't matter which one i disabled, so it's not specific cams issue.
once i login with my mobile app to view any live cam or playback any cam video, it adds 40%ish and soon my total OS will reach 100%.
Even when i add 1 addition camera, regardless which, it spiked to near 100%.
BI process mem now is at 2.7 GB

GPUz- indicating around 50% load (can't see GPU in task manager since WDDM is 1.3 and < 2.0 to enable it in task manager). Also it shows 104 deg on GPU. Main CPU is at 56 deg which looks ok.
I thought it maybe GPU issue or thermal paste renew required on CPU, but, it doesn't explain how it was OK before that update.
note that comparing the BI bottom total OS CPU usage to the task manager total CPU usage yields that the BI counter shows more than task manager reported which not clear why or if related to root cause.

I have extended support, opened ticket to Ken but no response till now.
After many tests i have left of any ideas except replace thermal paste, CPU itself (GPU is separate chip?) or entire board+CPU which means reinstall SW again.

Any kind of help is appreciated
Hi I had the same problem, I checked the limit decoding unless required in the camera settings video tab for each camera using direct to disc my cpu with 8 4k cams dropped to 8 % with no dropped frames...hope that helps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I had the same problem, I checked the limit decoding unless required in the camera settings video tab for each camera using direct to disc my cpu with 8 4k cams dropped to 8 % with no dropped frames...hope that helps
That does not solve the problem. It just masks it. Also read the wiki and help file and understand what limit decoding does and the negative effects before using it.

ts55dlx

n3wb
Reaction score
That does not solve the problem. It just masks it. Also read the wiki and help file and understand what limit decoding does and the negative effects before using it.
well cant say its not true, I have an i core 7 9700 k 32 gb ram and my cpu usage went from 29 % to 96% all direct to disc recording. I messed with it for days before finding that. I have checked videos from all of the cameras over the past three weeks not a single dropped frame and looking at it right now cpu is @ 9%. would be curious to know how that changes things on when BI is not being asked to encode? Thanks I will check out the wiki when i have a moment...just sharing what worked for me. BTW the cameras are all recording at 30fps @ 4k

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well cant say its not true, I have an i core 7 9700 k 32 gb ram and my cpu usage went from 29 % to 96% all direct to disc recording. I messed with it for days before finding that. I have checked videos from all of the cameras over the past three weeks not a single dropped frame and looking at it right now cpu is @ 9%. would be curious to know how that changes things on when BI is not being asked to encode? Thanks I will check out the wiki when i have a moment...just sharing what worked for me
There were issues with the last update. Obviously there is an issue if its going from 29 to 96. Limit decoding does not cause dropped frames. Read the wiki and the help file. Disable auto update.

ts55dlx

n3wb
Reaction score
My auto update is disabled, i choose to update hoping for continued improvement. I read the wiki and understand it, there are some drawbacks for certain situations. Until another solution is reached the direct to disc recordings my system captures provide the security and smooth consistent quality playback i need without killing my cpu. I agree its not for everyone but its an option all may not know about. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My auto update is disabled, i choose to update hoping for continued improvement. I read the wiki and understand it, there are some drawbacks for certain situations. Until another solution is reached the direct to disc recordings my system captures provide the security and smooth consistent quality playback i need without killing my cpu. I agree its not for everyone but its an option all may not know about. Thanks
You can revert back to an older version. Always check the forum to see if there’s a problem with the update.

ts55dlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I see that your a staff member can I ask you a different question about a another issue or should I start a new thread

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A new thread is the best way to go. that way future users can follow it easily.

Last edited:

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I will just update that i made another change on all cameras. Reduced from 15 fps to 12 fps, and from vbr-highest to vbr-medium.
Checked with recent 5.2.5.10 stable version and 5.2.6.2 last update: i dont see the double cpu usage when playback -> However, it seems like after few hours of work, 3 cameras showing bad video (like animated color) and it's not camera source defect as i checked source. after i do BI "camera restart" it resolves, but reappear after few hours again.
bottom line, CPU issue seems resolved for me but new BI issue appears on table. Checking BI updates daily to see if resolve.
[i prefer to use limit decoding unless required = unchecked]

Update: - talked to soon. CPU doubles if playback ("Also BVR" = checked), and after few hours, few cameras video looks like "colorful animation" decoding issue which looks visually nice, but not functional.
I wander if 5.2.5.10 is ok, but my latest HD4000 driver 10.18.10.5129 downloaded from from Intel is faulty (though HW acceleration used as # seen).
Is anyone using HD4000 driver 10.18.10.5129 released on March 2020 - Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4000 ?
Which one do you use?

Last edited: