High CPU usage in BI demo with all settings off...

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have four Dahua 4421c camera's and I decided to give Blue Iris a try.

My reasons for trying out Blue Iris over SmartPSS is stated in the spoiler secion.

I've been running 4 Dahua cam's with SmartPSS (on continous record).
This works great, except for one requirement that SmartPSS cannot realise:
- I cannot stream past recordings on my Android device at a lower resolution to save bandwidth (on a cellulair network).

I understand that Blue Iris does allow playback of past recordings to an Android device at a lower resolution. To see if Blue Iris works well enough for me I tried the latest demo on my system.

Unfortunately after adding the four Dahua camera's to BI (without motion or recording settings enabled) I get a huge continuous CPU utilization (55-58%). Is this normal? If not, what am i doing wrong??

My system specs: Dell Optiplex 790, i5-2500, 8 GB RAM, Win7 x64,

See the attached screenshots for my settings.

screenshot tool

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Demo does not support direct to disk
..you need it..

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's interesting. I thought the demo had all functionalities and was only limited by a watermark and 15 days trial.

I also didn't expect direct-to-disc to be the reason for the high cpu usage since recording and motion is disabled in my settings.

Looks like it will be very difficult to evaluate whether BI will work sufficiently on my system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I thought the demo had all functionalities and was only limited by a watermark and 15 days trial.

I also didn't expect direct-to-disc to be the reason for the high cpu usage since recording and motion is disabled in my settings.

Looks like it will be very difficult to evaluate whether BI will work sufficiently on my system
Your system can easily handle that load..you simply need to enable direct to disk and hardware acceleration..