high cpu usage

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using 4 hik 2032 , 2 hik2332, and 2 foscam Fi8910, PC is a Lenovo thinkcentre I7-3770 ,4g ram, windows 7.

Is this normal? Recording are BI direct to disc setting,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using 4 hik 2032 , 2 hik2332, and 2 foscam Fi8910, PC is a Lenovo thinkcentre I7-3770 ,4g ram, windows 7.

Is this normal? Recording are BI direct to disc setting,
what is your cpu usage...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is way too high...is this running in demo mode?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Could be something i dont know about,, i have not changed anything with pc just add a few more camera's never noticed high cpu with only two running before

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"I am using 4 hik 2032 , 2 hik2332, and 2 foscam Fi8910, PC is a Lenovo thinkcentre I7-3770 ,4g ram, windows 7"

Seems High to me too. I have similar set up except a I-7 hexa core CPU and 32 gb of Ram. I have 9 cameras; seven 3mp, one 5 mp and one 4mp. For comparison, my cpu usage is at 39 to 40% when not using other programs

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of memory usage to me but I only have half as many cameras, my memory usage for BI is around 400mb.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @gwminor48 on the memory thing. Looking at your Task Manager window capture, you don't have any memory left and I would guess a lot of work is being done in swap space. What are your camera buffers set to as this is a place BI uses memory?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
You have way too much stuff installed. I consider Avast malware. You have too many Chrome extensions. You have Hp & iTunes bloatware. Lenovo software is unnecessary. You have the Windows Update KB3035583 installed which is running GWX.exe. This is the Windows 10 update software that Microsoft pushed out through windows update. It looks like you have Realtek software installed for your audio. Windows usually has these drivers built in. The Catalyst software doesn't need to be installed, just the drivers.

This should be a dedicated machine with no unnecessary programs installed. There are others on that list that do not need to be there also. For antivirus use MalwareBytes. Works very well.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have way too much stuff installed. I consider Avast malware. You have too many Chrome extensions. You have Hp & iTunes bloatware. Lenovo software is unnecessary. You have the Windows Update KB3035583 installed which is running GWX.exe. This is the Windows 10 update software that Microsoft pushed out through windows update. It looks like you have Realtek software installed for your audio. Windows usually has these drivers built in. The Catalyst software doesn't need to be installed, just the drivers.

This should be a dedicated machine with no unnecessary programs installed. There are others on that list that do not need to be there also. For antivirus use MalwareBytes. Works very well.
There is barely anything used. Chrome is using Megabytes, not Gigabytes.

But there is certainly somethng going on if the CPU usage is so high with an i7. I use a 3.1Ghz core i5 with nine 3MP Hikvisions and three 1MP HooToo cameras. With Direct to Disc all cameras can be recording and my CPU usage is on below 70%. Now I do use SSDs for 1.1TB of storage so that should help some too.

bracurrie

n3wb
Reaction score
I took the plunge on Windows 10 because I really like it on a laptop I have. Now BlueIris is using extreme amounts of memory and CPU. I too have an I7 with 16 g of memory and I am running on an SSD. Something rotten in Rivertown.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your FPS set to on the cams? I have same cpu and 16GB of ram and 10x 3MP hikvisions. My CPU usage is 40-50% on blueiris.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I took the plunge on Windows 10 because I really like it on a laptop I have. Now BlueIris is using extreme amounts of memory and CPU. I too have an I7 with 16 g of memory and I am running on an SSD. Something rotten in Rivertown.
x2 here. i7-4790, 16GB, 6 4mp hv cameras and when console is open i peg at 99%. considering trying windows 7

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After fixing setting in Bi on certain camera's and removing some add on the pc is running great,

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for reference, a well-tuned system can do much better. I am running an i7-3770k not overclocked, 20 cams of varying models and brands (63 megapixels total) averaging around 5 FPS and my CPU usage is only mid 30s with the console open. The trick is using direct to disc on all cams and having low frame rates, especially setting the live preview frame rate in Blue Iris to something low. CPU usage goes up to 50+% if I open a web browser to remote view.

Reaction score
I don't want to threadjack, but what are the disadvantages of using direct-to-disc? I don't have this enabled on any of my cameras and have about 50-60% cpu usage with 7 2MP cameras all recording at 720p @ either 15 or 20fps.

I'm currently re-encoding to h264 with 50% quality using preset "superfast".

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The disadvantages are in the help file I think, but I think there are only two meaningful negative points. Recording only starts on an i-frame, so you need to set a longer pre-event frame buffer. Blue Iris' on-screen display (text/timestamp/company logo) does not get inserted into recordings, though I think if you use .bvr format then the on-screen overlay can be inserted during the export to avi or mp4. I am not certain that .bvr format is required to do this during export.

Oh, also if you want to record directly to a timelapse video or something, you need to have Blue Iris re-encode the video. You can't change the frame rate or drop frames if you record with direct to disk.