High CPU

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m setting up and optimizing (and experimenting with) a new BI system. I have an i7-8700 and 8 x 2mp + 1 x 8mp Dahua cams. Currently set to “direct to disc” and “HA” with 30fps (2mp) 15fps (8mp). I’ve optomised as recommended in the wiki (other than FPS).

My cpu runs at about 30% and GPU about 60%. This seems acceptable. I know I can make it lower with reduced FPS rates. I’m sure I will as I tweak this.

When I playback my timeline recordings, CPU goes to 100%. Obviously there is more work or understanding around playback cpu usage that I need. I’ll get there.

What is interesting, when I close the playback window, and five hours after ending playback, BI reports CPU at 85% and task manager has it 100% (BI 85%).

Why doesn’t cpu drop back to 30% after stopping playback?

If I restart BI, and do not playback recordings, CPU runs for hours at 30-35%.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Are you using the BI interface, the UI3 web interface or the BI app to view the play back.

2) Are you running BI as a service ?

3) In the windows task manager , in the process tab, when you close down viewing does it show two BlueIris services running ? If so what are there CPU reading ?

4) How long is the file you are reviewing in hours or size ? This is on a per camera setting .

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please answer my previous questions.

I believe that your problem is that the video is still running, you have not closed the window, you minimized it. I can create the exact behavior on my system.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please answer my previous questions.

I believe that your problem is that the video is still running, you have not closed the window, you minimized it. I can create the exact behavior on my system.
Sorry, I don't get to log on often, nor work on this often.

Thanks for the replies.

You nailed it. I didn't realize I was playing back in a different window and wasn't closing it. Close it and CPU falls right down to normal.

I've done the Memory Leak steps, preventing auto update and am running that version of driver.

Also have optomized it, although trying various FPS.

Not running as a service.

I'm still learning playback, just clicked on the blue time line and all 9 cams played back (8 x 2mp 30fps + 1 x 8mp 15fps). Pretty cool actually. My NVR could not do that. It couldn't play one as well as B! plays 9 with max CPU. (BI rocks!)

I have no idea the length of what I was playing.

Doesn't matter at this juncture. I'll get to learning playback, not there yet.

I was curious, not about the maxed PB CPU, I'll figure that out, but that it wasn't dropping when I thought I had stopped playback.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) Are you using the BI interface, the UI3 web interface or the BI app to view the play back.

2) Are you running BI as a service ?
I was using the BI Interface.

I've now set up VPN and am using the iOS app. If I use IE on a workstation, is that using UI3, or is UI3 if I use another browser? (What is the best browser?)

Should I run BI as a service? Does it perform better or more efficiently? If so, should I not load it in the local headless console? I presume I can load it in the console when I VNC in to admin it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would reduce the FPS in the cameras to 15 FPS. There is no reason to record more than that. You are not shooting a hollywood movie.

UI3 is a web page it will work with all browsers that I know of. I use mostly google chrome, the IE.

BI should be run as a service that way it start up when the computer boot. The BI service if set correctly it will restart is it every fails. I do not known about the service running more efficiently or not.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would reduce the FPS in the cameras to 15 FPS. There is no reason to record more than that. You are not shooting a hollywood movie.

UI3 is a web page it will work with all browsers that I know of. I use mostly google chrome, the IE.

BI should be run as a service that way it start up when the computer boot. The BI service if set correctly it will restart is it every fails. I do not known about the service running more efficiently or not.
Thanks. I will reduce the FPS rate at some point. Still trying to push the limits of the system. Right now, CPU and GPU are not near the limits. I need to set up motion and other bits and figure out playback.

Figured out UI3, it is a different URL than XXX.XXX.XXX.xxx:81. Much nicer.

I've set up BI as a service and have stopped starting BIHelper at windows startup. This seems to work well.

Is there a BI interface I can run on a machine that is a clone of the console, or should I plan to VNC for administering BI?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is UI3 for General video access.
On the phone or tablet use the bi app.
For direct access to the console, use a remote desktop top like TeamViewer

I see no need to manage bi on a day to day baises. My systems runs for weeks with out loging in.

Why do you need to access the console?

Make sure you are using a vpn for off site remote access. Turn off p2p, uPNP, port forwarding.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no remote console more capable than UI3 and the iOS and Android apps. There are some other third party clients but they are more limited, not more feature-rich.

Internet Explorer is the worst browser in basically all situations (except for sites that were specifically designed for IE). Microsoft Edge and Firefox have problems with UI3, so I strongly recommend Chrome or another browser based on webkit or chromium, such as Opera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that in each camera's Blue Iris configuration, in the place where you can override hardware acceleration config on a per-camera basis, there is an "Also BVR" checkbox. If this box is checked, BI will use the same hardware acceleration setting for playing recordings as it does for live view. If unchecked, it will decode recordings without hardware acceleration. Keep this in mind because when you play recordings from all cameras at the same time using the timeline, you might put a huge load on the hardware decoder if many cameras are configured to use hardware acceleration for BVR playback. 8MP / 4K playback also benefits more from hardware acceleration since you typically can't play 4K video at 2x, 4x, or 8x accelerated speed very smoothly without it. 2 megapixel video however is easier on the CPU and it isn't as important to enable hardware accelerated playback for those.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm primarily an Opera and Firefox user. Will use Opera.

I've got UI3 (love it!) and the iOS apps running. They all work great. I'll use VNC for when I need the console.

I'm getting the hang of this.

I'll try unticking "Also BVR" on my 2MP cams and leave it ticked on my 8MP cam.

Last edited: