High quality video setting for recording to CPU or Blue Iris w/ Hikvision / LTS Turret (PIC)

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning all and happy new year. I just bought and installed about 4-5 Hikvision/LTS Turret Cameras. CMIP3042 and CMIP3142. I only had Foscam's before and somewhat new and not familiar with all of the Video/Image quality settings for my Cameras. I have 3 outdoor cameras that I would like to have set to the highest quality setting as possible, I plan on having them record to an external hard drive when motion is detected. I've attached my current settings for my camera directly. Few questions regarding the Video & Audio settings:
1) What does changing the video Quality from Medium to Highest actually do or change?
2) Should Bitrate be variable or constant and what is the actual bit rate? I haven't touched any of the settings and the Max Birate says CUSTOM?
3) Any other tweaks to be made here?

4) I notice at night my 4mm front camera is very grainy and that when cars are driving past my house the license plates are highlighted by the reflection, anyway to change that? Or is that a limitation of my camera/quality?

Also, I plan to post this specific question in the Blue Iris forum, but just incase any BI users here: With BI4 what would be the best Video Format to record at in order not to lose any quality?

Thanks All and happy new year!!

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Record direct to disc and bvr blue iris DVR
Thank you sir for the BI info... If I read correctly that will not do any encoding just copy exactly what my camera sees, therefore making my video settings in the camera very important... Have another BI question, I'll jump over to that forum now...

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Followup for the Camera Settings... Please let me know if this isn't the proper way based on others experience (this is for home/residential use).
I should set my "main stream" to the highest quality possible for recording purposes within my internal network. But when I'm out and about, what is the best way to view the videos remotely and smoothly? Set up a "sub stream" with what specific settings regarding quality?

Finally what do you all use when "home" to view the video main stream say on a cell phone vs away on cellular data? Is there an iPhone app that lets you easily select or it's best to just set up two feeds?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris only used the main stream.. Using highest bitrate settings will waste do disk space and give you no noticeable improvement... Start with 4096.. Blue iris has a great mobile app and the software will generate it's own substream based on three profiles you can customize... It allowes you to enter a local and external IP

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue iris only used the main stream.. Using highest bitrate settings will waste do disk space and give you no noticeable improvement... Start with 4096.. Blue iris has a great mobile app and the software will generate it's own substream based on three profiles you can customize... It allowes you to enter a local and external IP
Thanks again, having trouble getting the BI Mobile APP to stream my cams. I went through the setup BI process, all the green check marks, but nothing pops on the app. The port forwarding rules were added automatically, and I couldn't change the port number. Only other change I did was in "remote" section I put in my NO-IP address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again, having trouble getting the BI Mobile APP to stream my cams. I went through the setup BI process, all the green check marks, but nothing pops on the app. The port forwarding rules were added automatically, and I couldn't change the port number. Only other change I did was in "remote" section I put in my NO-IP address.
Start over and do it manually... Confirm open port's with canyouseeme.org. Don't forget to add Port after the ipaddress