High Resolution Dahua Camera

Reaction score
I recently installed a Dahua system with five 2MP Starlight cameras on my house. The resolution is good for most of the angles I have and the nighttime performance is impressive, but I want one more camera with better resolution for reading license plates on the street. I currently have a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 with IPC-HDW5231R-Z turrets and a 1080p ViewSonic monitor.

I am thinking of getting a Dahua 4K turret IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE. I want to stay with turrets because they are more low key. Would that camera be a good choice? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently installed a Dahua system with five 2MP Starlight cameras on my house. The resolution is good for most of the angles I have and the nighttime performance is impressive, but I want one more camera with better resolution for reading license plates on the street. I currently have a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 with IPC-HDW5231R-Z turrets and a 1080p ViewSonic monitor.

I am thinking of getting a Dahua 4K turret IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE. I want to stay with turrets because they are more low key. Would that camera be a good choice? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome Mark,

Do check out the LPR section.

I would get a Varifocal for your plans - if you want to catch them at night, a 2MP starlight.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
higher res means longer processing time for a lot of LPR setups and usually not needed for LRP. usually you just want some optical zoom. you may have to leave the world of turrets if you want to do this. or get creative.

second the suggestion about visting the LRP section.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or maybe even visit the LPR section. ;)
Don't re-invent the wheel, many here already have done it for you in that section.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not low key but while testing the PTZ1A225U with OpenALPR I pulled over 4500 numberplates in a week including it working at night from over 100ft away at a very non-optimal angle. The issues were dawn and dusk when neither day or night setting was quite right.

I was surprised as I didn't think our road was that busy!