Hik 2132 vs 2532 vs 2732?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi planning on mounting a camera to the front soffit in the middle of my dual garage doors to capture the front of the house/driveway. Was thinking a 2.8mm camera.

The 2532 is intriguing as it's a great small size. But am I giving up optics at all to say something larger like the 2132 or 2732? Ultimately license plates are probably out of the question for most of these cameras in this price range, and mounted some 10 feet or so in the air.

But the $70 or so difference doesn't bother me. However, I do like the small size of the 2532 if I'm not giving up much in the way of IR capabilities or optics to the 2132 or 2732?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@pbc The 2532 has roughly 1/3 the IR capabilities if the others....the optics will be the same as the 2132, the 2732 is varifical (manual)...
That said, you will not catch any plates with any IR, unless you dedicate the camera to this task...

Last edited by a moderator:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, the networkcameracritic site (RIP, Carl) implied that the IR were quite powerful and I thought it implied stronger than the 2132 (not the 2732, which is much larger).

The 2732 may be a big large for where I want to place it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, the networkcameracritic site (RIP, Carl) implied that the IR were quite powerful and I thought it implied stronger than the 2132 (not the 2732, which is much larger).

The 2732 may be a big large for where I want to place it.
No way, I have a bunch of these installed and you need additional lighting..his images look good because there is a lot of additional house and street lighting in the area. If you really want the best of both worlds simply install led flood lights and forget about IR.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Top advice! 2532 is rubbish at night unless there's lots of light in which case they are all pretty decent in day colour mode.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No way, I have a bunch of these installed and you need additional lighting..his images look good because there is a lot of additional house and street lighting in the area. If you really want the best of both worlds simply install led flood lights and forget about IR.
Have you seen any relatively discrete LED flood lights with motion detection?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... also, off topic, but is there a thread somewhere showing how to mount a camera onto a brick wall that already has the CAT6 cable protruding?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen any relatively discrete LED flood lights with motion detection?
You dont want to use motion activated lights for two reason.
1) You will miss activity outside the motion light sensors range if the light is off
2) The camera will not respond to the change in lighting quick enough and you will miss activity...Use a dusk to dawn sensor, or better yet, if you have a switch that controls the light you can use one of these timers that uses longitude/latitude to calculate sunrise sunset. http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Econoswitch-RPLS740B-Programmable-Switch/dp/B004AP92N2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435678059&sr=8-1&keywords=honeywell+timer&pebp=1435678043722&perid=1HQPVK5ZTSFSF6X3HVAX

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have floodlights on all the time? Or are they IR floodlights so can't see them on?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you have floodlights on all the time? Or are they IR floodlights so can't see them on?
No, they are standard floods, just led, so they are consume little power...they are on when its dark out..this will give a better image than IR...The light itself is a deterrent..

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, they are standard floods, just led, so they are consume little power...they are on when its dark out..this will give a better image than IR...The light itself is a deterrent..
This is what I have as well with the lights set on a timer dusk till dawn.

OP, I would rethink the 2.8mm lens idea if your driveway is more than one car length long. You really don't get much in way of distance clarity with the 2.8mm lens. A 4mm would be better suited likely.