HIK 7608-NI-E2 no live view for main stream

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool, and yes I bumped the Bitrate back to 6144Kbps with no issues.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I matched em up 10 and 10 and anything over 5000 bitrate starts acting up. I can get it to stay solid @ 4800.. Hmmm...

That is to say that changing the iFrame and FPS to be lower and match did help, though. Previously I couldn't get anything over 3000 to pop up. Course as mentioned previously, night mode it'll take 12000 if you throw it @ it.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd, I checked again and I'm currently running 10fps & an iframe of 5.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very interesting... I dropped the iFrame to 5 like you said yours is and put the bitrate to 7480 - pops right up.. Hmm..

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's good news, hope it is the fix

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 more cameras to hang outside also. I am probably going to try to do one of them today. It's not the same model but is essentially just the bullet version of the dome that is on the porch. Will see how it reacts. I have to pull the cable for the last 2 so maybe next weekend. I'll pop back on here when I get the one up today and let you know how it reacts.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Karey,

I found these settings on the camera to be most effective.

smoothing 100%, iframe to 25, fps 20 or 15 and maximum bitrate to 4096. Lowering the Video Quality also helps if these settings give a jumpy feed.

If you update to the latest firmware on the cameras you can use H264+ and set the video quality lower to get the main stream to display.

I have moved to installing the 7616NI-E2/8P instead due to these issues. The 7608NI-I2 is also another option.

I haven't been using these models long enough to 100% confirm that they resolve the issues completely however in testing it seems I can set the streams to whatever I like and those models live view fine when the 7608NI-E2 struggles.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back again!

So, dropping the iFrame to 5 did indeed allow me to view the live view but what I have found over the last couple days is that there seems to be pauses and studders in the playback. For example someone will just appear in the middle of the field of view of the camera walking down the street. Or, someone will be getting out of the car and there's a freeze and when it catches up, they're gone.

Seems to be a ton of posts around the web discussing the issue but no real fixes. Anyone else experienced this and have anything to chime in on? I was running @ 15FPS, 5 iFrame, Highest Quality, 7680'ish VBR. I bumped the iFrame to = the FPS @ 15 and dropped the VBR to 4000 and I still noticed someone appearing in the middle of the field of view. It seems fine w/ cars going by, only seems to happen w/ people but can't 100% confirm that as of yet..

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was previously unaware of iFrame's. I usually don't mess with the camera settings, I do everything through the NVR gui.
The NVR gui doesn't show iFrames, unless it is buried somewhere that I missed. My NVR (& camera) show 4 settings: Main Stream, Sub Stream,
Main Stream Event, and Transcode (I don't know what that is).

This is the settings at a camera for Main Event:
MainStream.png

This is the same camera, Substream:
Substream.png

I have 10 cameras that I display all at once on a 4x4 grid on a TV at the NVR. These settings match the NVR settings, except for iFrame, which is not on my NVR.
I rarely use the browser to access the cameras.
The Main Stream Event currently has the same settings as the Main Stream(Normal), shown above.
On one of my camera's I had the Main Stream resolution mistakenly set much higher and I had issues with it.
Once I realized that other camera's were set to 1920x1080P and changed it to match, things are working better.
Since my TV is 1920x1080P I think this is a good setting for resolution. For a computer monitor a higher resolution might be better, just a wild guess.
I also recently had issues with capture of events to usb stick, I need to test that functionality again to make sure it works well on all cameras.
It *might* be that I should increase the resolution on Event recording, but not sure how that will turn out.
I do on occasion notice an object detected by motion suddenly appear in the middle of the view and sometimes, disappear before
the end of the view. I assume this is a function of motion sensitivity. These objects are all further away, beyond the range of
the IR lighting so I have not tried to change the sensitivity because at night I would not be able to see what is causing it to record.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems crazy to me to run a 4mp camera at 2mp. Idk..

I do think that's a by product of motion sensitivity. I upped it a bit and the issue of people appearing in the middle of the screen got better. It dawned on me that is what it was when I noticed everytime that happened the person was in the distance and it never triggered until they got til about the middle of the screen, or if a car was coming it would pick that up in the corner and you would see the person. I upped it to 4 and it's helped with that, alot.

Here are my settings. My only wish is I could get the bitrate up higher a little bit. These are all 3mp cameras. They are off branded from a company called GSS out of NY but they are without question this camera. 2 of them are the dome version, 3 are bullet.

DS-2CD2032-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems crazy to me to run a 4mp camera at 2mp.
That is certainly a good point. I never considered it before. The NVR outputs to a HDTV, max resolution 1080p.
My computer monitor is also max resolution 1920x1080. So that is 2mp of real estate. What is available to display 4mp?

Truthfully, I never considered the interplay between camera pixels & screen resolution. In fact, when I first started looking for a system to install I had a hard time (and still have a hard time) grasping the interplay between resolution, bitrate, frame rate. Reading what it does is one thing, how it interacts with the display is another. Before I set my cameras to 1080p, some of my cameras would not display when I had multiple cameras displaying at once. I can only speculate that the monitor could not handle what was being thrown at it. Maybe it was something else, I don't know, I only know that it works at 1080p.

Changing one camera to 2688x1520 and bumping the max bitrate from 3079 to 5007 (the minimum recommended for that resolution) did not produce any noticeable change on my screen, using a vehicle license plate as a visual reference. So if it records at the higher resolution, what benefit will I derive if I cannot display it?

I cannot overlook that my lack of knowledge may be keeping me from fully utilizing what I have here. I've learned a lot on this forum and expect that there is much more to learn.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So if it records at the higher resolution, what benefit will I derive if I cannot display it?
Well, there is the digital zoom, plus the benefit to anyone that you supply an export to.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
After fighting with this "too high" bitrate issue on an LTS camera for months, I can find no logical answer for what combination of things affect whether the main stream drops or not, or has some kind of corruption. To me it makes no sense whatsoever that increasing the bit stream rate should introduce a problem. As a comparison, the one Dahua camera I have tells you the maximum bit rate allowed for the configuration settings, and I've not experienced any problems running at the max rate. This to me demonstrates that it is possible to make it work right.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, there is the digital zoom, plus the benefit to anyone that you supply an export to.
OK, I had not considered that. With digital zoom on NVR I am unable to detect a difference.
However, capturing and then viewing on a computer is quite an apparent improvement. I can easily maintain a good quality view at 3x zoom, more than that deteriorates noticeably.

Karey: Thanks for pointing out the poor choice I made in resolution vs the capability of my cameras.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After fighting with this "too high" bitrate issue on an LTS camera for months, I can find no logical answer for what combination of things affect whether the main stream drops or not, or has some kind of corruption. To me it makes no sense whatsoever that increasing the bit stream rate should introduce a problem. As a comparison, the one Dahua camera I have tells you the maximum bit rate allowed for the configuration settings, and I've not experienced any problems running at the max rate. This to me demonstrates that it is possible to make it work right.
Yeah... I really don't know. Can't seem to wrap my head around it and while it's not my main thing I do for a living I do in fact do some IP Camera work in my daily job. Most of what I do is Commercial/Industrial Fire Alarm work but my job ranges from that to Burglar Alarm, CCTV, Nurse Call, and so son. Thing with that though is what I use mostly in my daily driver for the company I work for, is Avigilon. The shit. Just. Works. Also, if it don't I have a pretty helpful tech support crew I can just dial up, so.. For example I installed 2x 5mp Pendant Dome cameras for a customer last week. No problems, none. Running at default on a 12kbps max bitrate, woosh done.

My only real reason for wanting to throw the bitrate up there is well, because I can. There's also the fact that a higher bit rate will always supply a better picture when there is more motion going on in the camera. Ideally I should be able to run them @ 20 or 25 FPS w/ a 8-10k bitrate, if I wanted to. I know my NVR has a 50mb incoming limitation but even when I am well below that, the issues arise. For now I have grown tired of tinkering (for know...) and left all 4 (soon to be 5) of my cameras at the house at my above settings. It's doing okay, so far.

Karey Watson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Karey: Thanks for pointing out the poor choice I made in resolution vs the capability of my cameras.
Yup, no worries.

My thought process is while you and I cannot see that 3mp or 4mp in your case resolution on our monitors it should in theory give you a better image when you start to break down the zoom, if you need to use it. Where as, a 2mp (1080p) is probably going to start getting distorted the second you begin to zoom in on your 1080p display. As someone else mentioned as well if you ever needed the footage to supply an export maybe the people needing it could utilize it or in worst case they would have the better clarity in the zoom as you do.