Hik DS-2CD2085FWD-I dead?

Zak

n3wb
Reaction score
My old war horse a few years old Hik 2085FWD stopped to respond completely. It seems that it is out of the power, but it actually is not. Weird thing.
The camera has been mounted inside my warm garage in about constant temperature of about 18C all year around.
No direct day light, no rain (naturally), no splash water, normal indoors garage humidity. Nothing that could stress the camera or the connectors. Ideal place.

Symptoms:
1. For some time the camera has some times clicking IR lights on/off with no reason in the dark.
2. Today I realized that I cannot get login screen to the camera (site can't be reached) and no data stream. Nothing. Dead?

What I have done so far:
3. No ping to static ip or default IP. Network scanner do not find the device from any subnets.
4. I have changed PoE cable to a brand new (CAT7). No change.
5. I unabled PoE from the switch plugged the camera to an external 12V/5A power source. No change.
6. I tried to put a splitter cable (Switch PoE -> Camera LAN+power). No change.
7. The Switch ports are working fine. It has been in the same port all the time and never a problem. I tested the port with other PoE network devices and cameras and it works perfectly.
8. Just in case I tried with another PoE switch. No change. Same issue.
9. I put the cam to my table and opened it just to check if there are burn marks or strange smell or anything that could explain this. Everything seems to be fine.

Other notes:
10. When I plug in the camera with PoE first it seems to work (PoE power light is on) but then during the boot (dunno if it actually boot) the switch does not give power to camera anymore. At least what switch GUI says. Still no any error messages or lights.
11. When plugged in to the switch the camera start to warm up well / normally even when IR lights are off. If power circuit would be dead it would not warm up, right? Meaning that it gets power but does not boot (to GUI or ping and no video).
12. IR lights works! Meaning that in the dark IR lights are on and otherwise they are off. If there would not be PoE power IR lights would not work either, right? So there is power but switch says no power.
13. Both data and PoE lights are on in switch meaning that there is a OSI layer connection to it.
14. Last software upgrade (or any change to sw configuration) more than a year ago and been working fine without touching to it more than a year.
15. Automatic reboot once a week
16. Camera is behind corporate firewall in dedicated VLAN and access to internet is blocked by IP.
17. The only new thing is that I have started to use Android tinyCAM free for remote viewing in my WLAN. Can this do something to break it?
18. Is there a hard reset button hidden inside the camera?

There are some other identical cameras in my network and they are working fine.
If this would be totally dead I would understand but this semi-dead is more weird thing.

What can I do? Is this really dead by software or ... ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
18. Is there a hard reset button hidden inside the camera?
Does the cam have a door on the bottom for a SD card?
If so, open up the door and see if there is a button for hard reset located next to the SD card slot.

Zak

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the cam have a door on the bottom for a SD card?
If so, open up the door and see if there is a button for hard reset located next to the SD card slot.
Thanks for the info. I did find the reset button from under the door and I reset the cam. Reconnected everything and changed all the parameters similar to my other hiks. Everything works like in the good old days.

BUT when I disconnected the Hik to mount it again to the original place and plugged it in again, the same issue again! No connection. "No" power but there is power because IRs are on and the cam gets warm!
Same things again! PoE switch gui power and then no power, no ping. Nothing.

I reset the cam AGAIN to test once more. After reset I can connect and everything is cool and working well, again. BUT when I disconnect cable and put it in again, AGAIN no power etc.

There is something really strange with this one. Any ideas?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cam will default to an IP of 192.168.1.64 when hard reset; if your PC is not on that same subnet a tool such as SADP will be required, IIRC.

Or it could be an issue with the cable or connectors.

I keep a good, solid copper (no CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) Cat-5e of 100 ft. length for such occasions to bypass the suspect, in-place cable to see if that is the issue.

Zak

n3wb
Reaction score
Sound like an issue with the cable or connectors.

I keep a good, solid copper (no CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) Cat-5e of 100 ft. length for such occasions to bypass the suspect, in-place cable to see if that is the issue.
I have tried it with an old 5e cable and with another brand new Cat7 cable. Both about 33ft (10m). They are really good quality cables both. In addition I connected cam directly to my switch with 6ft cable (2m) and the same issue. I would be ready to claim that this is not about the cable. And this is not about the switch because I have tried with 2 excellent quality PoE++ switches (Cisco and Ubiquiti pro).

Zak

n3wb
Reaction score
Time for new cam, I guess! :cool:
Yeah. So it seems. :mad:

But still, I am really curious how it is possible that this thing works for years and now it works fine only after hard reset. I would accept it if hard reset with default setup but I can put all my parameters in and everything works like a charm like 4k/30fps video streams and ftp recording to NAS etc - everything, until the next time the cable is disconnected and the procedure starts all over again. Could it be that in some component a port get "stuck" by heating and only a kick (hw reset) force it open until the next time cam cools. Transistor relay issue?

This thing get really warm in operation. Not hot but really warm.