HIK EXIR = HIK "low light"?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are the Hikvision EXIR cameras that Nelly's sells the same as the Hikvision "low light" or "ultral ow light" cameras I keep hearing about?
Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm really not sure if they are the same!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the Hikvision EXIR cameras that Nelly's sells the same as the Hikvision "low light" or "ultral ow light" cameras I keep hearing about?
Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm really not sure if they are the same!
no...the exir simply refers to the IR...

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HHmmm,....that's why I thought they may be the same?!! I figured the IR was a special IR that made them "low light"

So I am guessing it is safe to say Nelly's does not carry the low or ultra low light Hikvisions (yet).

Any idea if they are THAT much better than the regular EXIR's,...and are the EXIR's really that much better than regular cameras with IR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HHmmm,....that's why I thought they may be the same?!! I figured the IR was a special IR that made them "low light"

So I am guessing it is safe to say Nelly's does not carry the low or ultra low light Hikvisions (yet).

Any idea if they are THAT much better than the regular EXIR's,...and are the EXIR's really that much better than regular cameras with IR?
I dont believe so, but I would shoot them an email...yes they are THAT much better...
The exir benefits a bit from a more even ir spread, but more importantly the ir is separate from the lens...this prevents lots of spider web ir reflection...

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry fenderman,...but just to clarify,... when you say they are that much better, you are referring to the "low light" being much better than EXIR, Correct?
Or were you saying that EXIR is much better than regular IR cameras?

.......Or are both statements equally true?!!! LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry fenderman,...but just to clarify,... when you say they are that much better, you are referring to the "low light" being much better than EXIR, Correct?
Or were you saying that EXIR is much better than regular IR cameras?

.......Or are both statements equally true?!!! LOL
the low light and exir are not mutually exclusive...buy a low light turret camera.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
EXIR technology refers to the IR and lens technology used in Hikvision cameras. Basically they claim a highly efficient light source and enhanced LED light strength, evolutionary rectangular-shaped lenses for better light usage, and better luminance uniformity. What I saw when comparing EXIR to non-EXIR is that the EXIR really does have a uniform light pattern with IR.

Low light refers mainly to the sensor used. Here is a good little read: Low Light Sensitivity IP Camera Systems.

Last edited:

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I saw when comparing EXIR to non-EXIR is that the EXIR really does have a uniform light patter with IR.
Thanks Probird!
Would you still recommend the Hikvision "Low Lights" over the EXIR's as well. The price difference between the EXIR and Non EXIR isn't too bad,....but man those Hik Low Lights are expensive!!!
Plus Nelly's does not carry them,..but I did see them on BH Photo for right under $450 (ouch!!) - granted is was an 8MP (4k?) camera.
Funny thing is is that there 5MP non Exir is more money than the 4MP EXIR,...and it seems the 4MP is a better cam from what I remember reading.

I appreciate the help and opinions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Probird!
Would you still recommend the Hikvision "Low Lights" over the EXIR's as well. The price difference between the EXIR and Non EXIR isn't too bad,....but man those Hik Low Lights are expensive!!!
Plus Nelly's does not carry them,..but I did see them on BH Photo for right under $450 (ouch!!) - granted is was an 8MP (4k?) camera.
Funny thing is is that there 5MP non Exir is more money than the 4MP EXIR,...and it seems the 4MP is a better cam from what I remember reading.

I appreciate the help and opinions.
They are not 450 you are looking at the wrong cameras there's a specific thread that discusses Hikvision low light cameras... Once again low-light exIR are not mutually exclusive...

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK now I am completely confused,....again! LOL.

But when I look at BH's website,...they offer EXIR cameras in typical 3,4,5 MP's,....but the 8MP's do not mention EXIR, but do say "Ultra Low Light".
Obviously I need to check out that thread.

That being said I have another question about Hikvision NVR compatibility with different company's cameras.
I look forward to your response fenderman,...and thanks again!

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just from a quick search the Hikvision ultra low light cameras don't have EXIR, they are mutually exclusive. Do you want low light or do you want EXIR? You started a thread that gave you great information with a list of low light cameras on post 9 & 10 here: Hikvision have Starlight equivalent?. Here is the Hikvision low light turret DS-2CD2325FWD-I on B&H and it is $162.49: HikvisionValue Series 2MP Ultra-Low Light Outdoor Network Turret Dome Camera with 4mm Lens and Night Vision. The 2MP cameras will give you better low light than higher MP cameras. If you have good lighting at night then higher MP may work for you.

Nelly's doesn't look like they carry low light cameras but contact them directly.

The majority of people on this forum buy from overseas and the majority purchase Dahua since we have a vendor here that is active and trustworthy. Buying from overseas will save you some money.

I believe the Hikvision NVR will be compatible with other cameras that are ONVIF compliant.

Last edited:

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HAHA Now you guys REALLY got me all sorts of F'd up with all this mutually/NOT mutually exclusive stuff! :facepalm:

But to answer your question,...I have absolutely NO idea if I want/need low light or EXIR. I was originally thinking the EXIR would have better IR than standard cameras making them better in "low light". But then I hear about these LOW LIGHT cameras being better than EXIR in low light situations. :idk:

And I wish I had the guts to buy a system from Andy and go Dahua/Starlights,.... but I am really not feeling comfortable with my setup/firmware updates/trouble shooting skills (especially "messing with" settings)- and I can already tell I'm annoying some folks with my ignorance. And I really don't want to beg people here for step by step instructions cause it doesn't seem like I will get it,at least not without getting slammed! (whether I deserve that or not) LOL

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, to simplify you can either choose EXIR or Ultra Low Light as that is what Hikvision offers. EXIR is their standard model from the looks of it. Dahua Starlight is the same as Hikvision Ultra Low Light.

EXIR does have a more even light pattern but that doesn't mean it's better at night. It shouldn't be a make or break decision. If you need a low light camera stick with the Ultra Low Light series. If you don't need low light pick the EXIR. I will say this, since you are undecided just go with the Ultra Low Light series and be done with it as that will be your safest bet.

Go on youtube and type in the model numbers to compare the 2 (EXIR vs Ultra Low Light) if you want to continuing researching. Search the same MP camera and form factor of each though (I.e. 2MP EXIR turret to 2MP Ultra Low Light turret). For example compare DS-2CD2325FWD-I (ULL) to DS-2CD2322WD-I (EXIR).

You will have to still deal with setup, firmware updates, and trouble shooting with whatever you choose so that point is moot. We are all here to help each other.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will say this, since you are undecided just go with the Ultra Low Light series and be done with it as that will be your safest bet.
Yeah I agree,...sometimes I dig too deep and go overboard! I'm sure either camera would be fine for my needs.

You will have to still deal with setup, firmware updates, and trouble shooting with whatever you choose so that point is moot. We are all here to help each other.
Very true,...but I was just thinking with 0 experience and knowledge it might be best I have some tech support readily available just a phone call away!
I am looking forward to messing with settings and dialing in my system as close to perfect as I can,...but even after all my researching I am not feeling too confident. Pretty damn sure 1 month after its installed I will be laughing at myself for making such a big deal of all this and thinking how easy (at least how NOT HARD) it really is,...but I am definitely not too geek savvy. Use my computer for internet,phone for phone calls and occasional pics,...and that's really about the extent of my computer type skills! :facepalm:

But thanks again for your patience and answers. Really do appreciate it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, to simplify you can either choose EXIR or Ultra Low Light as that is what Hikvision offers. EXIR is their standard model from the looks of it. Dahua Starlight is the same as Hikvision Ultra Low Light.

EXIR does have a more even light pattern but that doesn't mean it's better at night. It shouldn't be a make or break decision. If you need a low light camera stick with the Ultra Low Light series. If you don't need low light pick the EXIR. I will say this, since you are undecided just go with the Ultra Low Light series and be done with it as that will be your safest bet.

Go on youtube and type in the model numbers to compare the 2 (EXIR vs Ultra Low Light) if you want to continuing researching. Search the same MP camera and form factor of each though (I.e. 2MP EXIR turret to 2MP Ultra Low Light turret). For example compare DS-2CD2325FWD-I (ULL) to DS-2CD2322WD-I (EXIR).

Actually they are both EXIR....you can tell by the IR design, it is also listed in the spec sheet...http://www.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/510854_VS DS-2CD2325FWD-I 040317NA.pdf
as i stated they are not mutually exclusive...hikvision even calls the exir in the low light cam, exir 2.0, whatever that really means...
@CJ555 the low light unit will be inflatable better...also consider the hikvision varifocal low light cam...

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hikvision even calls the exir in the low light cam, exir 2.0, whatever that really means...
Good stuff right there! I think they just like making things more confusing! At least you guys can read a spec sheet and understand it.

Thanks again fenderman.

Actually, not sure if you have seen this photo of my house,... but here it is again.
The landscape lighting is now LED so I usually keep it on all night now, so my front is pretty well lit. And the right side of the garage doors I was considering a motion detector light,...and the left side will eventually have Landscape lights as well.
Sooooo,...do you think I need a low light camera? Just looking for a professional opinion as I don't really know the differences from any experience. And not sure if "all that lighting" will actually hinder the "low light" cameras performance.
IMG_0297 (1).jpg

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually they are both EXIR....you can tell by the IR design,
Well that's not very smart... There's no mention of EXIR on their website specs and the camera is angled so you can't see the front very well, granted I could've dug deeper and realized that. It's strange they tout EXIR but make no reference to it at all for the ULL except for a separate data sheet.

Last edited:

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
EXIR dosn't make much difference when your running then in colour mode at night :p