Hik NVR Questions

eckhart

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received from Andy his NVR7608-8P-4K2 (Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P) and installed 2 4TB WD purple drives for continual recording. I have had Hik cameras for a number of years (recording individually with Sd cards and remote access via DDNS), but this is my first foray into the NVR world.

The NVR came with 3.4.107 firmware installed. In reading other threads it appears that some have tried the NVR 4 firmware with success and others have had problems with it and have downgraded. Are there features in the NVR 4 firmware which make attempting to upgrade worthwhile? Do we expect the NVR 3 firmware to continue to be improved, or is it end of life?

Also, I am a little confused about adding my cameras to the NVR with their existing IP addresses. Will the NVR reset the cameras to its IP range or will I need to do that prior to adding the cameras?

Thanks for any assistance,

Ed E.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR came with 3.4.107 firmware installed. In reading other threads it appears that some have tried the NVR 4 firmware with success and others have had problems with it and have downgraded.
That's for the I-series - the K2 series doesn't have 'firmware 4' available.

Will the NVR reset the cameras to its IP range or will I need to do that prior to adding the cameras?
Since the PoE version of the NVR operates the cameras on a different IP address range than the NVR LAN interface, which I assume is how your existing cameras are set up, you will need to make some changes.

You have a couple of choices :

Retain the existing camera configurations by changing the camera IP address to match that used by the NVR PoE channel that you will be connecting it to.
In the NVR web GUI, Camera Configuration, you can inspect the IP addresses.
Then change the channel mode to manual and set the existing camera password there.
Then connect the camera to the NVR PoE port, the camera should connect, and retain it's existing settings.

You could go for a clean start by resetting the camera to default settings, then connecting it to the NVR PoE port, at which point the NVR will 'Activate' the camera under Plug&Play mode.
You will then need to reconfigure the camera back to how you want it to be.