Hik NVR - remote connects ok but can't get a remote video stream

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a hikvision NVR (purchased from LTS, model: LTN8704-P4). Everything has been working great up until a week ago - nothing has changed as far as the network or NVR. I can log onto the config remotely, but remote streaming won't work on the web, client software, or mobile app. I see this error code in the NVMS7000 client software while trying to view camera stream remotely:

Reconnecting.Error Code HCNetSDK.dll[7].(Connecting to device failed. The device is offline or the network timed out.)

I made sure NVR, client software, and app are updated. DDNS is working fine.

Followed troubleshooting steps in manual for client software:

• Check network status and disable other not in use process on your PC.
  • Check the device network status.
  • Restart the device or disable other remote access to the device.
  • Download the client software of the latest version.

Anyone recently have any of these issues? I googled the error code and found a guy that said his ISP had blocked some of the traffic from the gateway. Ugh. I hope I don't have to deal with my ISP on this - I can see it taking 3 hrs.

Edit: Called ISP to make sure there was no chance of the modem blocking anything. The confirmed it can't and doesn't. Back to square one.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The confirmed it can't and doesn't.
No firewall in the modem. But what about the router?

Edit: Called ISP to make sure there was no chance of the modem blocking anything. The confirmed it can't and doesn't. Back to square one.
Worth doing also to validate this is to use one of the many open port checking tools to see if what is still open is still as you had originally set it up.
An easy one to check with is Shields Up! from GRC : https://www.grc.com/shieldsup
Presumably you will be looking for port 8000 - or whatever you translated it to.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I used that and confirmed port 8000 is open. The app works and even does playback of recorded videos, just won't stream live video.

I'm now wondering if it's a bandwidth issue as this location only has 12M down and 1.5M up, but still doesn't make sense that it worked fine from install date up until last week.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I fixed this, but I'm still confused on how it broke (or I broke it) in the first place.

I was reading a post from this CCTV forum by user Securame (thank you, Securame). He points out:

"On iVMS-4500 you need to configure the data port (8000 by default). That is the port used to connect to the NVR, login, get device info, channel info, etc. But all the video streaming is done over the RTSP port (554 by default). That port is not configured on iVMS-4500, so I guess that iVMS-4500 is pulling the info somehow over the data port from the unit."

I go into the NVR network config and my RTSP port is inexplicably set to 8554 instead of the default 554 (maybe I did that, but why has it been working all this time up until last week?). In the interest of time, I simply forwarded my RSTP port (8554) to the NVR and it works now. I presume setting it back to the default and forwarding that would also work. I had no port forwarding entries for any RSTP port prior to this happening, so that's the source of my confusion - why it ever worked in the first place if that's required.

Short; If you can connect to the NVR but can't get a live stream, make sure your RSTP port (video traffic) is making it to the NVR.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I spoke too soon. Today I couldn't connect again. I could remote into PCs on location, but couldn't remotely connect to the NVR much less get a video stream from it. What in the world is going on to where it's working one minute and the next it's not?

I remoted to on-site PC, was able to log onto NVR config. Did a Sheilds UP! scan on port 8000 and other NVR-related ports and they come up as "Stealth". Any idea as to why that would be? They're definitely being forwarded from the router to the NVR. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm beginning to think this NVR is really wonky. I've never experienced this at home w/ my Blue Iris install.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Problem #2 is fixed now. Problem #1 was just that I didn't have the RSTP port forwarding (still not sure why the NVR worked so well for so long). Then, a few days after I fixed that, Time Warner installed a new modem for them (I wasn't there) and it took me forever to determine the modem was handing out internal IP addresses and ignoring all of the port forwarding rules. Had them reset it from router to bridged mode and all is well. Geez.

Reaction score
Just as a follow up, hik vision uses the ivms-4500, however the LTS units are recommended to use NVMS7000 app. The RTSP port is the remote streaming port for the video streams to port through the router. If you connect to the dvr through a local PC connection (through the browser), then port forwards are not needed, however if you are trying to access the streams over the internet, you will need the RTSP port forwarded through the router for the streams to be able to reach you remotely.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good info, thanks nighthawk. I became aware of the RTSP port earlier (above) but was unsure on how it worked remotely without me doing that for like 6 months. I'm using the NVMS app but both seem to work the same.