Hik vs Dahua vs Reolink

CxHxExVxY

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to replace an old Swann system and add additional cameras.
Not looking to spend a fortune but don’t want to cheap out either. Right now I have been looking at Hikvision Dahua and Reolink. Everyone says the Reolink is terrible at night but they seem to be the easiest to buy. What’s the recommendation? And if hik or Dahua where’s the best place to buy?
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you care about quality night images with motion that are not blur, stay away from reolink.

Best place to buy is from member @EMPIRETECANDY

Here was a thread someone put together comparing:

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your store? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1699980277952.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the cameras can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink page where people have provided their best nighttime image captures. As you will see, they are basically useless.

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Reolink doorbell is pretty darned good though.
I was really hopeful when i spotted this camera on their website that it might finally be a decent camera from them...

But it has no options to control shutter etc. It's basically auto everything, which i'm sure works great during the day, not so much at night.
Maybe it would work just fine in my specific conditions, maybe it wouldn't.
I don't fancy spending $150 to find out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was really hopeful when i spotted this camera on their website that it might finally be a decent camera from them...

But it has no options to control shutter etc. It's basically auto everything, which i'm sure works great during the day, not so much at night.
Maybe it would work just fine in my specific conditions, maybe it wouldn't.
I don't fancy spending $150 to find out.
Yep, it suffers like other Reolinks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to replace an old Swann system and add additional cameras.
Not looking to spend a fortune but don’t want to cheap out either. Right now I have been looking at Hikvision Dahua and Reolink. Everyone says the Reolink is terrible at night but they seem to be the easiest to buy. What’s the recommendation? And if hik or Dahua where’s the best place to buy?
Thanks
Welcome @CxHxExVxY

Reolink .. do see the various threads on that topic.

In general, there's a number of compromises they do to provide cheap IP PoE cameras .. some of that has been compatibility issues as well as cheaper sensors and DSPing ( digital signal processing ).

If you want better results, and better selection of cameras ... Hikvision OEM or Dahua OEM cameras are better choices ..