HIKIVISION DS-2CD2042WD-I odd problem

wxperson99

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an odd problem with a new cam.

For the last 2 days with the cam in the same fixed position.... at the same time of day (around 7 PM) a weird problem occurred.

The image (at full resolution) slowly became "oversaturated"...eventually to the point of being almost unrecognizable. See attached image.

At that point I could only view live images (normal looking) at 1920x1080 or lower... i.e. max resolution is not viewable.

If I reset go into the configuration and "reset to defaults" I am able to view the max resolution images again.

I find it odd that this has occurred twice now… both times around 7 PM…. Similar view and lighting on both days. It makes me think that it might have something to do with the camera trying to sense day/night conditions... but that is a pure guess.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? BTW.. my firmware is V5.3.8 build 151224 .

Thanks,

George

Attachments

wxperson99

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try the updated firmware.

My settings are just the default settings with the video quality set to highest.

Thanks,

George

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will try the updated firmware.

My settings are just the default settings with the video quality set to highest.

Thanks,

George
If the camera is china region you will brick it if you attempt a firmware upgrade.

wxperson99

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I was lucky... I updated the firmware with no issues.

How can you tell if it is China region?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
China region will have CH in the serial number.
non-china will have WR (for Western Region)

wxperson99

n3wb
Reaction score
so far it is stable... since the problem occurred once a day... i am still testing

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can i use this on a dome 2142 this software v5.4.0??

what did it fix?

survailence notifications were broken for me for line and intruder detection. BLC and image parameters were also flaky.
Biggest change in 5.4.0 is Expert Mode for DNR.
But for line detection you can only setup one line!

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this an official Firmware release? I cannot find it on Hikvision's FTP server. Will it work with my DS-2CD2042WD-I? I am currently experiencing problems in storing to a NAS on 5.3.8 build 160126...

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to revert to 5.3.6 which was not possible with the official tool. Don't know if there are work arounds...

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems you can't go back to previous firmware.
None of the previous versions seem to work anymore. I tested 5.3.3, 5.3.6 and 5.3.8

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installed this firmware (5.4.0) yesterday on one of my 5x DS-2CD2042WD-I and works fine.

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm kinda starting to hate the new 5.4.0. firmware as it has increased the noice and artifacts compared to my picture quality with 5.3.8. at day mode setting in low light conditions.
But i'm hoping some tweaking of these new Space and Time DNR settings will help. To be continued....