Hikvision 2432 as a Nursery/Baby Cam

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You can try reducing bitrate, resolution, fps, also not every router is equal and environment varies, so you may need a repeater or a powerline adapter. I am running three 2432 cams as baby cams at different locations in the home. All of them use wifi, @ resolution, 10 fps and 3000 bitrate.

As far as power plug if you are ok with the limited length then it's fine, but if you want flexible cable placement it's best to use POE plug where you can have any length for your power cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Universal-48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-for-IP-Phone-IP-Camera-NEW-/311414046579?hash=item4881b93f73

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks, Klasipca. My current out of box settings are: 30 fps, 1920x1280 resolution and max bit rate of 4096. I'll lower fps and bit rate, but do I lower resolution as well?

My current router is a standard UVerse gateway, but I'm upgrading to the T-Mobile CellSpot, so hopefully I get some better results with it.

Yeah, I should've bought a POE plug -- didn't understand that was an option for wifi use until recently. I will probably switch it up for flexibility.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, your settings a bit too high for wifi use, try 10/15 fps first, resolution is fine, bit rate maybe reduce to 2-3k if needed.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wifi 3Mbit/s VBR... you should be able to run at 8Mbit/s no problems.

1920x1080, 15fps VBR 4096 is plenty. In fact you could run 3MP, 25fps VBR 4096 and still be ok.

As klasipca says though... give it a go trial and error.

Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds like fps is the driving variable. I'll trial/error that first and go from there.

Reaction score
Update: I reduced to 15 fps and got rid of the stutter via computer viewing. However, I still had stutter when viewing via tinycam app on phone. When I enabled low bandwidth profile on app, all stutter went away. Interestingly, movement is detected quicker via tinycam app now vs. online viewing through computer. There is no lag between actual movement and movement viewed with the app, but still a bit of a lag using computer viewing. Is that expected? Regardless, I plan on using app 90% of the time...just thought it was interesting.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You can configure 2 channel to use lower resolution and use that in the tiny cam. Full HD @ 15 fps eats up mobile bandwidth quickly.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: I reduced to 15 fps and got rid of the stutter via computer viewing. However, I still had stutter when viewing via tinycam app on phone. When I enabled low bandwidth profile on app, all stutter went away. Interestingly, movement is detected quicker via tinycam app now vs. online viewing through computer. There is no lag between actual movement and movement viewed with the app, but still a bit of a lag using computer viewing. Is that expected? Regardless, I plan on using app 90% of the time...just thought it was interesting.
The low bandwidth option is using the substream instead of the mainstream, it is lower resolution and lower bitrate but yes the latency is a lot lower so it's almost live video (fast enough).

You can adjust settings for the substream as well.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I tried low bandwidth option and it's making picture worse then a subchannel, so I doubt it's switching chanel

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can have a clear substream with a high bitrate. If you reduce the bitrate the image get's very blocky due to the reduced detail.