Hikvision 2XXX English (multi language) 5.2 firmware - need way to modify it

soupratt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got the 5.2 multi language firmware from my dealer for 2xxx cameras (I have 2332) Chinese version from Hikvision which installed fine over previous firmware (I have 5.1.6) and its in FULL English. I don't think this is released for the general public. Unfortunately, before I got this firmware I upgraded a few of my cameras with the 5.2 from Hikvision website which defaulted to Chinese and no way to change it (easily).
I am willing to share this firmware but I need someone to let me know how to modify the firmware so it can be installed OVER a previous 5.2 Chinese installation. When I try it comes up with an error.
Oh, I haven't tried using TFTP but its a hassle as the cameras are installed in inaccessible areas and I don't have a POE injector so attaching them directly to reprogram is going to be a pain. I would much rather an installable file that works through the web interface.
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

lingnau

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got the 5.2 multi language firmware from my dealer for 2xxx cameras (I have 2332) Chinese version from Hikvision which installed fine over previous firmware (I have 5.1.6) and its in FULL English. I don't think this is released for the general public. Unfortunately, before I got this firmware I upgraded a few of my cameras with the 5.2 from Hikvision website which defaulted to Chinese and no way to change it (easily).
I am willing to share this firmware but I need someone to let me know how to modify the firmware so it can be installed OVER a previous 5.2 Chinese installation. When I try it comes up with an error.
Oh, I haven't tried using TFTP but its a hassle as the cameras are installed in inaccessible areas and I don't have a POE injector so attaching them directly to reprogram is going to be a pain. I would much rather an installable file that works through the web interface.
Thx
Im very interested on this firmware.

About updating your cameras, there's no need to attach directly to it, my cameras are attached to a poe switch and the whole network, if done once at a time, configure the IP 192.0.0.128 on your PC with the firmware on the program folder, run the "TFTP-Auto-Update" software and then reboot one of the cameras. After seeing the message that it suceedeed, power it off and update the next one, once they're all updated, close the update software and power them on. They will be with the default settings since the recovery firmware upgrade resets the config. As long as the software/computer and the cameras are on the same wired network, the recovery/update will work.

And please, if you can share the firmware: luciano+hikfw @ lingnau.com.br (Ignore spaces, leave the plus sign).

soupratt

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have a POE switch as I run through a NVR so again, TFTP isn't an ideal option.

Musad

n3wb
Reaction score
Try loading 5.1.6 Chinese from hikvion first then loading the 5.2 you got from the dealer.

ex123yz

n3wb
Reaction score
Try loading 5.1.6 Chinese from hikvion first then loading the 5.2 you got from the dealer.
I believed soupratt said that it worked loading from 5.1.6 with the 5.2 multi-language; he is just having trouble loading 5.2 f/w to this new 5.2 mutli-language f/w is the problem, i.e. he can't load it from web ui.

It would be interesting to compare this 5.2 multi-language f/w with the regular 5.2 f/w and see what the binary differences are, and apply our own patch that way.
Can you do the comparison and post it so we can apply the patch, soupratt?

lingnau

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you powering the devices? AC adaptors? In that case turn off the circuit breaker, it doesn't matter how you do it, you just need to turn them off after rebooting and doing the firmware update.

soupratt

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you powering the devices? AC adaptors? In that case turn off the circuit breaker, it doesn't matter how you do it, you just need to turn them off after rebooting and doing the firmware update.
Powered through a Hikvision NVR.

Sounds like this is all a massive pain to try and reprogram the cameras without a direct POE link. Might just buy a cheap POE injector and get it done. I thought I had read that someone had modified the 5.2 firmware (or maybe an earlier version) so it could be installed over itself. Looks like I am imaging things :)

As for the firmware, can someone suggest how I can share it ?

lingnau

n3wb
Reaction score
Powered through a Hikvision NVR.

Sounds like this is all a massive pain to try and reprogram the cameras without a direct POE link. Might just buy a cheap POE injector and get it done. I thought I had read that someone had modified the 5.2 firmware (or maybe an earlier version) so it could be installed over itself. Looks like I am imaging things :)

As for the firmware, can someone suggest how I can share it ?
Isn't the NVR POE? In that case to shut a camera off just unplug the network cable. After the firmware "recovery" using TFTP the camera will revert to the factory config (including IP).
I know it looks like a massive pain, but a firmware recovery isn't exactly ment to be easy, it hardly needs to be done.

And thanks for sharing the firmware, will try it out and report back.

Recovery steps:
1. Run software on PC with IP 192.0.0.168, with image inside software folder and standard file name (as stated by manual).
2. Access the camera from another PC on the same network, manually reboot it.
3. See log on screen of TFTP server to verify that upload and install completed.
4. Shut down TFTP server and power off camera.
5. Power on camera and re-configure.

You need to shut down the server while the cameras powers on so that it doesn't stay in an update/recovery loop, otherwise, it's straightforward. (A bit annoying of course)

Just remember:
PC has to have that specific IP and be withing the same network as the camera you're updating.

ex123yz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I can confirm that it is the firmware V5.2.0 Build 140721 in English, just updated my two DS-2CD2132-I cameras that where in chinese to this firmware and the login screen is in english. Thanks again. Wish you luck with the update of your cameras.
Cool. So day of week is also in English?

lingnau

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice. Can you extract the davinci file and post it here or do binary diffs of it to see the differences? I wonder if it's just a hex patch to a different location.
Based on the video that was posted above (about patching the javascript to make the english language available) i've checked that file and it is not commented out as the script instructs) :
Code:
/************************************************* 
 Function:       getDeviceLan
 Description:    获取设备语言类型
 Input:          无
 Output:         无
 return:         无
 *************************************************/
function getDeviceLan() {
    $.ajax({
        type: "GET",
        url: m_lHttp + m_szHostName + ":" + m_lHttpPort + "/SDK/language",
        success: function (xmlDoc, textStatus, xhr) {
            if ("chinese" == $(xmlDoc).find("Language").eq(0).find("type").eq(0).text()) {
                $("#divLanguageChoose").find("label[id!='zh']").each(function (i) {
                    $(this).parent().remove();
                });
What is the "davinci" file?

Musad

n3wb
Reaction score
The davinci file can be found in the same location as this .js script. /dav/davinci.

Based on the video that was posted above (about patching the javascript to make the english language available) i've checked that file and it is not commented out as the script .

What is the "davinci" file?

soupratt

n3wb
Reaction score
Isn't the NVR POE? In that case to shut a camera off just unplug the network cable. After the firmware "recovery" using TFTP the camera will revert to the factory config (including IP).
I know it looks like a massive pain, but a firmware recovery isn't exactly ment to be easy, it hardly needs to be done.

And thanks for sharing the firmware, will try it out and report back.

Recovery steps:
1. Run software on PC with IP 192.0.0.168, with image inside software folder and standard file name (as stated by manual).
2. Access the camera from another PC on the same network, manually reboot it.
3. See log on screen of TFTP server to verify that upload and install completed.
4. Shut down TFTP server and power off camera.
5. Power on camera and re-configure.

You need to shut down the server while the cameras powers on so that it doesn't stay in an update/recovery loop, otherwise, it's straightforward. (A bit annoying of course)

Just remember:
PC has to have that specific IP and be withing the same network as the camera you're updating.
So are you suggesting that I have one camera hooked up to the POE port on the NVR and the PC on another POE port ?

The PC needs to be 192.0.0.168
The camera usually defaults to 192.0.0.64 (and I can get the NVR to assign that)
Then I can just assign the NVR to something like 192.0.0.100
Unplug the camera then plug it back in ?
Would that work ?

lingnau

n3wb
Reaction score
So are you suggesting that I have one camera hooked up to the POE port on the NVR and the PC on another POE port ?

The PC needs to be 192.0.0.168
The camera usually defaults to 192.0.0.64 (and I can get the NVR to assign that)
Then I can just assign the NVR to something like 192.0.0.100
Unplug the camera then plug it back in ?
Would that work ?
You don't need to mess with the IP of the NVR, leave it as is.

1. Yes, if the NVR is a separate network, plug your PC to the switch on the NVR.
  2. Run the Update (TFTP Server) on your PC after assigning IP 192.0.0.128
  3. From other PC (or from NVR if that is possible, never used it) tell the camera you want to reboot.
  4. After a message on the TFTP server that says update successful, wait a whole minute to be sure and then unplug the camera (power off).
  5. Shut down the software on the PC (So it does not try to update again)
  6. Power on the camera again (Assign the correct IP since it will be with factory defaults).

Just remind to change the name of the firmware (take a look at the PDF tutorial that expains how to do this, the firmware needs to have a specific file name).
If I could I would simply do it for you just because of the firmware you got us, a LOT of people where after that, I haven't seen it around anywhere else on the internet.

Did you do a web interface update or TFTP ?
Updated my both cameras with TFTP last night. All went fine. Took me 15 minutes top.