Hikvision 4mp Cube - reduce number of emails from PIR

riles246

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time poster, long time reader. I've used these forums a number of times to get myself up and running on a number of camera brands, but most recently I've decided to switch to Hikvision as I really like their lineup of cameras with integrated PIR sensors.

The specific model in question is DS-2CD2442F-IW, but I think most of the "cubes" share similar firmware so this probably applies to any of them. I've configured the PIR to send emails when triggered and it's working great, but I can't seem to find a setting that will reduce the number of emails that it sends.

When a PIR event happens, there is a setting in the email section of the firmware that allows up to 5 second delay before sending another, but that seems to be the longest delay possible. Accordingly, if someone spends a minute in front of my camera, I get 12 emails. I would love to change that to once every 1 or even 2 minutes, but can't seem to figure that out.

Anyone know of a possible workaround? I've even tried experimenting with filters in gmail but couldn't get it to work using this route either.

Please note that I'm using this without an NVR attached; it's just recording locally to the SD card (so no luck on trying to tweak the setting through the use of an NVR).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Woke up to 63 emails this morning from my garage camera, triggered by my wife putting a kid in the car and backing out of the garage over a ~3 minute span. Argh.

Last edited:

riles246

n3wb
Reaction score
If you (or anyone reading this) ever finds a solution, please update this thread- I would love to go back to the cubes. The video quality was great and the strong wifi made wiring so easy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you (or anyone reading this) ever finds a solution, please update this thread- I would love to go back to the cubes. The video quality was great and the strong wifi made wiring so easy.
These cameras/nvr's provide very little control when it comes to alerts and schedules...if you want total control consider running a pc based vms like blue iris.

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
this may not apply to every situation, but how i would handle this issue is to NOT use PIR at all.
disable ALL events and only use Smart Event - Line Crossing Detection
then define on the camera preview image what virtual line needs to be crossed to get an email.
this is a much better way to go, even if you need 2 cubes to cover your property adequately.
for property perimeter watch, it's probably best to do this from a higher floor vantage point.

just to illustrate the power of this feature - I live on a private street where no commercial through traffic is allowed.
i put a cube inside my tinted window facing the street, and defined the A>B line about 8' over the pavement and higher,
this way i only catch trucks going by not minivans and suvs - turns out this method is about 80% accurate for my needs.
what's great about Line is the road area I care about is 60' from my camera, so it still works for me well out of PIR's range.
it also works at night, but of course your results may vary depending on where street lights are and what they illuminate.

so figure while PIR may sense everything, if 80% using Lines is good enough, then it will save you on false alarms. one other thing to keep in mind when using Lines is the annke cube takes 3 minutes to reset the line before it will accurately detect a new trigger, so not sure if the same is true with hikvision or other cube clones. so in op's case you'd get one Line A<>B trigger event when your wife is pulling out of the driveway - and not much else.

Last edited: