hikvision 7604 ni-k1 - live stream (hdmi) laggy/choppy performance

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

It seems like I made a mistake by upgrading my 7604ni-k1 nvr to the latest firmware today. Not only is the live stream choppy, but it has also made me lose access to the cameras via their respective ip addresses.

I haven't touched any of the network related settings after upgrading the nvr firmware and the cameras still have their IPs like before..I can't work out what's wrong. Pinging their IPs result in timeouts..

• I can access the internal camera (WiFi) via its ip address
  • I can access all of the cameras via hikconnect (WiFi and 4g)
  • I can see live streams from all cameras on my monitor
So the overall functionality is still there but I can't connect to them.
Any idea what has changed and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You haven't described how the cameras are connected, nor listed the relevant IP addresses - so it's not so easy to give any useful suggestions.
We could guess that you are having a problem with remote vs local access, but that's guesswork.
Is it correct to assume from the NVR model number you've quoted that the cameras are not connected to NVR PoE ports?

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Alastair,

Attaching pics of the network related info including ips.

D1 - 192.168.254.2
D2 - 192.168.254.3
D3 - 192.168.254.4
D4 (internal) - 192.168.0.251 -> can connect to this via the web interface

To clarify the box is a DS-7604NI-K1/4P which has 4 POE ports, 3 of the cameras are connected to it via ethernet. The 4th isn't used as I have an internal camera connected via wifi. The nvr is plugged into the router.

I upgraded the firmware fromV3.4.95 build170626 to V3.4.103_build 181226 ... I wonder if I should have upgraded firmware release by release rather than leap update. I didn't upgrade the camera firmware so maybe they need doing as well?

Appreciate your thoughts.

nvr_networkinfo.png
Screenshot at May 05 11-14-45.png
Screenshot at May 05 11-14-16.png
Screenshot at May 05 11-14-29.png
Screenshot at May 05 11-14-58.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, that's much more useful info.

it has also made me lose access to the cameras via their respective ip addresses.
Normally, in a default scenario, the NVR PoE-connected cameras would not be directly accessible from the LAN via their actual 192.168.254.x IP addresses as that address range exists within the NVR.
It would be possible to access the NVR PoE-connected cameras from the LAN via the 'NATed' address that the NVR Virtual Host facility provides, for example 192.168.0.250:65001 etc
Is that the access that you have lost?

Or was it via the actual camera IP addresses that you used to be able to directly access them?
The thoughts below assume this.

One possibility comes to mind.
But with some uncertainty as I have not applied that V3.4.103 firmware to my K1 NVR so have no direct knowledge of the changes within it.
With Virtual Host enabled on the NVR, it is possible to directly access the cameras via their actual 192.168.254.x addresses given these 3 conditions :
The LAN router would need to have a static route defined such that packets destined for the cameras in their 192.168.254.x addresses are directed via the NVR LAN interface IP address of 192.168.0.250
The camera default gateway is set to the 'Internal NIC' address of the NVR, in this case 192.168.254.1
For this to work, the camera channel on the NVR must be set to 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play to inhibit the NVR from setting the camera gateway IP address back to the LAN gateway IP address, which would inhibit access to the cameras.
I'm wondering if you've had this arrangement in place, and the NVR has modified the camera default gateway IP address under the updated firmware.

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair - (re)enabling virtual host did the trick! I downgraded back to V3.4.95 build170626 and worked my way back up version by version just to be sure everything is ok. Also, I've ugraded the camera (2cd2355fwd-i) firmware to the latest.

Now I don't know if this warrants a new thread or if you'd be happy for me to continue this here (please let me know)... but the reason why I wanted to connect to the cameras (3x 2cd2355fwd-i) in the first place was to see if there were any additional video settings that could be fiddled around with aside from the ones visible to you in the NVR.

Basically, I have stuck with V3.4.95 build170626 for the longest time because every time I upgrade it the live video stream on my displays become choppy (skip frames), even though their settings are the same. Reducing the framerate or resolution makes no difference.....

Below are what my camera settings were before upgrading the nvr firmware....each stream (2x2) did play smoothly with no issues:

upload_2019-5-5_16-9-16.png
upload_2019-5-5_16-9-38.png

Downgrading back to V3.4.95 build170626hasn't helped either, although it did in the past.
The weird thing is, the live view via the web interface streams perfectly with no choppiness...any ideas what has happened?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the reason why I wanted to connect to the cameras (3x 2cd2355fwd-i) in the first place was to see if there were any additional video settings that could be fiddled around with aside from the ones visible to you in the NVR.
That's a perfectly good reason - and the Virtual Host access provides that.

Now I don't know if this warrants a new thread or if you'd be happy for me to continue this here (please let me know).
I think it's your choice - but I suppose a differently-titled thread may attract better or more feedback.

On the settings - it might be worth experimenting with turning off h.265+

The weird thing is, the live view via the web interface streams perfectly with no choppiness...any ideas what has happened?
I'd speculate that with those hi-res cameras the 4-channel NVR performance limitations may be the underlying cause of the problem.
One way to test that would be to view one camera then shut down one or two of the others and see what happens.

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
+

I'd speculate that with those hi-res cameras the 4-channel NVR performance limitations may be the underlying cause of the problem.
One way to test that would be to view one camera then shut down one or two of the others and see what happens.

I'd agree but it was perfectly smooth with 4 channels via hdmi until I updated the firmware. I have decreased the resolution to the lowest along with the video quality and it has made no difference. So weird. I will try what you said and post back.

Do you know how I can view cpu usage on this and how much bandwidth the cameras are using up on the LAN? (networks are not my forte!)

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: the stream is still laggy with just one camera on. I removed the LAN connection to the router and that didn't change anything either. Not sure what else to do..

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
The live view when connected to the camera ip (via Web, virtual host) is super smooth compared to the TV.

soyeji

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: I think I finally sorted it out! I reset the camera settings back to default last night and it did the trick. The tv/monitor streams are back to normal - smooth and crisp again. Next step is to upgrade back to the latest firmware and repeat reset the camera settings if the performance gets bad again.