Hikvision and D-Link DGS-1100-08P

Reaction score
Hi, we have 3 Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I cameras connected to POE powered ports 2,3, and 4 of a D-Link DGS-1100-08P switch. Unpowered Port 1 is connected to an Arris Cable Modem/router. Port forwarding for the cameras has been enabled in the router.

As soon as the switch is powered on connection to the internet becomes very slow and we get many disconnections. We've tried each camera connected to the switch separately and each time the result is the same.

Could this be something wrong in the setup of the DGS-1100-08P or would it probably be a defective switch?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some questions to help responses:

When the internet connection becomes very slow - are the cameras being access from the internet at that time?
If the cameras are being accessed - what method is being used, and what stream is being connected?
What is the upload / download speed of your cable connection?
What camera ports have you exposed to the internet?
If you access a single camera Live View, either over an HTTP connection or a stream over RTSP, depending on the video and stream settings and selection, you could be trying to pull maybe 5Mbps upload from your local LAN to the internet.

Reaction score
Hi alastair, nice to see you here, know your name from other forums:)

The internet becomes slow and intermittent as soon as the switch is powered on and a camera connected. i.e.. if we try to do a speed test from a laptop it will either time out or be 1/4 the normal result. As soon as we disconnect the camera (switch still connected) all is back to normal (speed about 35/2).

Reaction score
one thing i haven't tried is disabling the port forwarding in the router and see if local access to the cameras is OK - going to do that now.

Reaction score
so after a bit of experimentation it turns out that the router did not like my assigned RTSP port set as TCP - when changed to UDP all is happy - including me!