Hikvision and DROBO

Reaction score
Anyone use a Hikvision IP camera with a Drobo or a NAS? I purchased the camera a couple years ago and never really set it up to record, just for viewing. I've always had it setup to where I could record or take pictures manually but it could never record off motion automatically. First problem when I got it was it was a chinese version so Hikvision would never offer any type of support. I flashed it with an English firmware and have used it like that ever since. I just now flashed it with 5.2 and the got closer to being able to configure it to work with my DROBO.

I get the "uninitialized" status after formatting. I created a new share and added time machine support so I can limit the size to 50GB as I was reading online about the camera not recording to a drive/share if it's too large. I still get the "uninitialized" status even with the time machine share to limit the size. It formats the share correctly as it creates all the files and folders. Maybe someone else has had some better luck? I want to be able to get the camera to record on motion. I also would like to buy more cameras soon and get them all to work and record to my Drobo if that's possible.

Camera model: DS-2CD3132D-I

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 5.2.0 firmware the share size for a camera NetHDD above which the 'format' fails is a little above 200GB, so I'd have thought that your 50GB size would be OK.
Apologies - I'm completely ignorant of a Drobo with Time Machine - so I don't know how that controls the available share size, or what network protocols it would offer.
What I found ages ago was that an NFS share limited by the actual volume size would work OK, but an SMB/CIFS share on a larger volume limited by a user quota would not work with all implementations.
What network protocol is your share provided under? Can you do NFS?

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm using SMB. I only enabled the Time Machine on the Share because that's the only way to limit a size of the drive on the DROBO. I had 5.1 before I went to 5.2 the other day and could never even get to the point I am at as 5.2 gave the "Test" option which helped out a lot. Drobo is basically a NAS. I wonder if a newer FW might help? Thank you for your reply.

Reaction score
Funny, even with the limit, It's still showing the maximum capacity of my NAS and not of the limit of the Share.

Reaction score
Well. I hooked up a 128GB USB3.0 SSD up to my router and just configured the NAS settings. It's formatting right now. So far so good. Status says good. First time I've seen that happen.