HikVision and Powerline Adapter help please! (And Synology)

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your powerline adapters have more than one Ethernet port you could do that. Mine happen to have one port each.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wouldn't using "Powerline C" to receive both "Powerline A" and "Powerline B" reduce the already limited bandwidth by half? One more Powerline = full bandwidth available for both cams? I've always thought that the best practice was one set of Powerline for each cam if you're running high MP cams. Also I think these consumer Powerline adapters are essentially running half-duplex.

VJ

@jamesf

Why have you got a PAIR of powerlines for EACH camera?

Normally powerlines can be "paired" with any number of other powerlines, so for example, if you had four devices all connected to a powerline, then you would just need one powerline to go to the router (NOT four powerlines, one for each of the devices).

Are you saying it's different for the cameras and NVR? If that's the case, I'm going to be stuck, as I have multiple other powerline adapters in use and can't pair specific powerlines with each other, but not the rest of the powerlines in the system.

I would have thought you would have something like this:

Camera 1 > ethernet > powerline A (and power cable)
Camera 2 > ethernet > powerline B (and power cable)
Powerline C > NVR POE port
NVR LAN port > ethernet > router

Am I wrong? Your post implies I ALSO need a Powerline D going to the NVR as well (so A and C are paired, and B and D are paired - but I'm not sure its possible to pair individual pairs and not others), or have I misinterpreted?

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wouldn't using "Powerline C" to receive both "Powerline A" and "Powerline B" reduce the already limited bandwidth by half? One more Powerline = full bandwidth available for both cams? I've always thought that the best practice was one set of Powerline for each cam if you're running
I would think that also, It was not a big expense to buy 2 pairs. I guess if you have 10 cameras, well then it could get pricey... In my case I never considered using a 2 into 1 scenario...

karansaraf

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no problem buying an extra powerline if that would make a difference. I was under the impression that powerline adapters could only pair with the WHOLE network of powerlines (ie. if there are 5 adapters in a network, they are all part of the same circuit) not have 2 powerlines paired with each other, and 2 separate adapters paired with each other but not the first two etc etc.

Will have to try to look into this. Powerline adapters are pretty cheap so if this is something that would increase performance then I'd happily do it.

I don't understand what the half duplex/full duplex stuff is however?