Hikvision Camera + encoder

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought two Hikvision bullet camera's and they work great! Easy setup, port forward, and boom! Work!
I've also bought a DS-6701HFI hikvision encoder for a analog camera i already have attached to my house ;)

My idea was that this encoder would convert my analog camera to a digital stream and would make it accessible via rtsp.
With the Bullet camera's i could just open up VLC say "open network connection" and type in: "rtsp://externalip:554 and that worked instantly.
But i don't get this to work with the encoder. I thought that this encoder would be the thing that would make the rtsp stream but that doesn't seem to be the case.. :(

Am i making a thinking error here?

Thanks!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know the answer offhand as I've not used these, in fact I'm replying just to say thanks for bringing these to my attention. I was unaware Hik made encoders, I have used Axis encoders but Hik might fit the bill better and save me some money. I may well end up with some of the 4 port models. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, and I hope someone else can help you out on you issue.

Reaction score
Ha! Thanks! Glad i could be of any service ;)
I've already talked to someone from Hikvision support but he insisted on me telling him the brand and type of the analog camera.
Unfortunately the camera was already in place when I got the house and i don't know the brand or type. I do know that i can see the feed in my encoder settings page.
But hikvision couldn't help me..

In the end i finally found someone online that knew how to get the stream opened up in vlc..!!
rtsp://admin:12345@outsideIPaddress/h264/ch1/main/av_stream

Thats all!! I knew it was something simple... thanks Hikvision for the support...! :s​