Hikvision camera freezing at start of record

FletchNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a issue with what I think is my Hikvision NVR where when it detects motion it will start recording, get the first couple of seconds, then freeze for about 10 seconds and then record fine for the rest of the video.

I have 2 cameras connected to the NVR over the LAN, both suffer from the same issue
I've checked every setting I can think of but i'm stumped, and I want to see if anyone else has experenced it before I start swapping out HDD's

Example - See at 02:28:22

NVR : DS-7608NI-I2 F/W: 3.4.90 b 160926
Cam1: DS-2cd2042WD-I F/W 5.4.4 b 161125
Cam2: DS-2CD2342WD-I F/W 5.4.3 b 160902

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think we've seen this symptom before - but it could well be HDD related if the disc has to spin up and takes a while doing so.
What brand / model do you have installed?
I'm wondering if it's a 'Green' type where it spins down after a too small idle period.
Check out the HDD SMART detail via the NVR web GUI and look at the start/stop and head load/unload counts.

As a long shot, in the web GUI, under Storage | Advanced Settings | Other is 'enable HDD sleeping' ticked?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have used 6TB WD Greens and don't have this issue. There's more than enough RAM on the NI-I2 right? But I guess it could be.

Do you think it could be the i-frame? Although that is way too long a stutter to suggest that.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There's more than enough RAM on the NI-I2 right?
Actually that's an interesting point.
When the K51 3.4.90 firmware came out, there were a variety of issues with the 8-channel 7608NI-I2 as the firmware settings for RAM allocation between the DSP and CPU had not properly taken account of the lower RAM size of the 7608NI-I2 vs the 7616NI-I2
So Hikvision quickly released the 3.4.91 firmware to fix that.
DOWNLOAD PORTAL
It may be worth a firmware update.

FletchNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have tried the HDD sleeping - Off option (didnt think of that) and and just doing a firmware update now.
The hard drives are just ones I scavenged from around the place, a 500gb and a 2tb and everything on the HDD checking page shows as OK.

If that doesn't work i'm 'Borrowing' a few SSD from work to prove if its a HDD issue delay issue - if its not that then I might have to look at my config.

Thanks so much for you help, I know I haven't posted much but this forum was all I used when shopping for a camera system.

I'm at work so ill update once it triggers a record to let you know the results

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So that has seemed to fix it, there was a few short recordings and there is no freezing in any of it!!
Thanks heaps everybody
Thank Alastair. I just bat silly ideas across the net for him to decipher! Every now and then a stupid idea comes through correct!

Will now note NI-I2 and 3.4.91 firmware fix for this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But it might also have been the 'disable HDD sleeping' tickbox.
But I guess the NVR would have to be pretty idle for that to happen. Maybe it is, with just 2 cameras.