Hikvision camera resets ITSELF to factory default twice!

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Received the same reset now on an Hikvision NVR : DS-7732NI-E4/16P
The Device has serial number with RR. I bought it from china but was advertised as Western Region. I try to flash new firmware but alle firmware available from hikvisioneurope.com will fail on web interface. The Rekorder refuses to accept the file.

Anyone has an idea how to find the cause or correct firmware.

The current version is V3.4.80 build 160718

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone has an idea how to find the cause or correct firmware.
This should be the correct firmware for your DS-7732-NI NVR : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But it sounds like that may have been what you tried.
I try to flash new firmware but alle firmware available from hikvisioneurope.com will fail on web interface.
Are there any clues in the error message when you try to update?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This Update working nice.
Great!
Now give yourself a couple of safety nets and -
Export the NVR configuration and save it suitably named in a safe place.
Go through the Security Questions 'lost password' process so that you can easily do a self-service password reset any time in the future that your memory fades.

notchy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have read through this thread and tried updating my firmware and was unsuccessful.

So I have disabled UPNP in the configuration settings of the camera and also am using Blue Iris so I have no port fowarding happening to the camera directly.

The camera still resets itself after 1 day.
Did I miss a step?Disable UPNP on IP Camera.JPG

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have read through this thread and tried updating my firmware and was unsuccessful.

So I have disabled UPNP in the configuration settings of the camera and also am using Blue Iris so I have no port fowarding happening to the camera directly.

Did I miss a step?View attachment 22354
Did you double check your router and disable port forwarding in there? The camera set it up automatically in my router

madrian

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two camera, somebody reseted one of them (port were used 9000 and 9001). From this time I am going to connect only using VPN, I removed port forwardings. Should I reinstall firmware? I think it is pretty closed, there is no way to install backdoors.

notchy

n3wb
Reaction score

Did I miss a step?View attachment 22354
So I checked and UPNP is disabled on my router and IP cameras that are resetting. How do I stop this camera reset everyday.
Any recommendation of setting up and configuring VPN client to view blue iris server to view the cameras while I am away from home?

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so what's the answer to upgrading firmware for those of us who bought chinese cameras ? I understand you can brick them if you use standard available firmware.

soccerob

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been working on un-bricking my DS-2CD2032 for the last few days. I was able to use the "5.30 downgrader - 4 lines" to successfully flash the firmware and now the iVMS-4200 software is showing the device as online and I was able to change the IP from the software and I can ping and telnet into the camera, but I can't login to the cam through a browser. I feel like I followed all the steps but I'm missing the last piece of the puzzle or something. Any suggestions for me?
Also, the device type and device ID aren't showing the correct camera type, looks like it's showing that it has the min-system firmware running.
Showing software version: V4.0.8build 130906

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Showing software version: V4.0.8build 130906
That's the 'min-system' recovery mode that's entered when incompatible firmware has been loaded. No web services, just a basic kernel and a few programs.
I was able to use the "5.30 downgrader - 4 lines" to successfully flash the firmware
That hacked firmware is a bit hit or miss. Best use the normal version.
I've been working on un-bricking my DS-2CD2032 for the last few days
What was done to brick it? If firmware 5.4.0 or higher was attempted, a downgrade block will be in effect.
If so, the brick-fix tool is needed to recover the camera. Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

soccerob

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I tried updating to the latest firmware for the camera which bricked it. Ok so I just applied the CN firmware from the brickfix.zip that you linked to, which completed successfully. Am I supposed to immediately try to use the tftp updater to flash the whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 firmware?

soccerob

n3wb
Reaction score
Nevermind, I used the brickfix firmware then flashed the EN firmware from the "custom downgrader" zip and something finally clicked and it's working now.
Firmware Version V5.2.5 build 141201
Encoding Version V5.0 build 140714

Should I stick with this version firmware?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, well done for fixing the brick. Another good result.
It's your choice if you want to do the 'enhanced mtd hack' and fully update, past the Hikvision backdoor, and a nicer interface.
But I think you've moved on a bit.
You sent me your mtdblock6 and prtHardInfo output - and I've returned the modded version.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
so what's the answer to upgrading firmware for those of us who bought chinese cameras ? I understand you can brick them if you use standard available firmware.
It happened to two of my cameras that were port forwarded around September 23rd. I knew there were risks to making cameras accessible through port forwarding, but hadn't had any issue after years of doing it until the backdoor vulnerability came out. Since mine are Chinese PTZ cameras (Imporx brand) that have Hikvision modules rather than Hikvsion from head to toe, I don't think I will have an easy time obtaining firmware that addresses the vulnerability. I've now gone to using Blue Iris Blue Iris - Video Security Software for the cameras which can be setup for remote viewing through an Android app Blue Iris - Android Apps on Google Play.

As mentioned this thread here is most likely a botnet, someone running scripts that scans millions of IP addresses and looks for the vulnerability and resets them in mass. Both my cameras were in completely different locations, hours away from each other on unrelated Internet service providers. Both of them got factory reset within days of each other. I brought one back up, and it reset itself within another day. After I searched forums and found out about the exploit, turned off port forwarding and it hasn't happened since. The cameras had been running fine since 2014 and to my knowledge had never been hacked previously. I do miss being able to access them directly remotely, but Blue Iris does a pretty good job and is highly configurable. Blue Iris Tools Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! lets you do some nice weather data overlays. Blue Iris can be setup for HTTPS via stunnel.

It's obviously possible that someone discovers and discloses a vulnerability in Blue Iris, although since they update frequently, it should be addressed promptly. As others suggested, the most prudent method is to only access through VPN, although that makes things a bit more complicated when you just simply want to open up an app on your phone to quickly view remotely.

Last edited:

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read through this thread looking for a fix at the end, still no joy. Camera in question is a DS-2DE2202-DE3/W controlled by Blue Iris. Camera is brand new had has never been intentionally exposed to the Internet. It's resetting every night somewhere around Midnight. I'm pretty sure it's a US version even tho I ordered it direct from China (it was advertised as US version). After reading this thread I disabled UPNP in the camera. It was not enabled in the router. Port forwarding is only done to the Blue Iris server and not to the camera directly. Firmware version is - V5.3.9 build 151223 Encoding version is V5.0 build 150908. Any guidance is much appreciated.