Hikvision Cameras work on main switch, but not on remote one

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 more Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP HD cameras to match the one I have working already. I plugged them into my main, 24 port switch downstairs and configured each of them with unique IP addresses. I am also using injectors to power these POE. I was able to see them fine on both the SADP setup tool and in Blue Iris. Then, I moved them to another remote switch upstairs that I want to permanently attach them to. They power up fine but do not communicate with either SADP or Blue Iris. I do not understand why they work when directly connected to my main switch and not from a remote switch. I am using pre-made cables for the setup and the cameras are have roughly 75 feet of total cable length when on the remote switch. Is there anything else I can try to get these to work shy of running new lines directly to the downstairs switch?

Reaction score
How far is the POE injector from the cameras when installed at the remote location? Since I suspect a POE injector would drop voltage over the length of cable, something a POE sourcing switch would better compensate for (I.e. if you are putting 12v injection through 75 feet of cable, you might be having a voltage drop that puts it below what the camera needs).

You moved the POE injector to the port the camera is connected to on the remote switch?
Does the POE injector wall wart have power?
Have you tested anything else on the remote switch, and did it work?
What are the model numbers of the 24-port and remote switch?

Reaction score
How far is the POE injector from the cameras when installed at the remote location? Since I suspect a POE injector would drop voltage over the length of cable, something a POE sourcing switch would better compensate for (I.e. if you are putting 12v injection through 75 feet of cable, you might be having a voltage drop that puts it below what the camera needs).

You moved the POE injector to the port the camera is connected to on the remote switch?
Does the POE injector wall wart have power?
Have you tested anything else on the remote switch, and did it work?
What are the model numbers of the 24-port and remote switch?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, I direct connected a laptop and it worked.
4. [Remote POE switch] that I purchased by mistake as it does not have enough juice for the cameras. I also tried the cameras on another [older switch] I had laying around with no luck. [Downstairs switch]

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
So the switch can route traffic (based on laptop test), maybe it isn’t able to provide POE (are there other working devices on it? How much power are they pulling?), Is there any indication the camera is turning on?

I assume you tried the other “test” switch with the injector? That, at least, would start to eliminate some failure possibilities.

Really sorry to be asking somewhat dummy questions, but we get a pretty broad spectrum of users here, so I don’t know what you don’t know!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Camera IR lights come on, so I believe it is receiving power. The 2 cameras are the only items on the remote switch upstairs. When I tried the older switch I had no luck and used the injectors. I am going to try to connect both switches with short cables directly to the downstairs switch and see if that makes a difference. It is getting late here, I will try this as soon as possible tomorrow and see if it helps.