Hikvision Capture

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hahaha, a little late for the stocking over the face, don't ya think?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn determined, they gave up?
Any resolution from LE?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seeing how it looks to be in Johannesburg, the cops won't show up. The cop stations have a panic button for ADT (or at least the one I have been in near Cape Town).

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to live in [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]South Africa to begin with knowing its crime is far higher then the US. great place to visit I'm sure but for 7 days then back home to another better place[/FONT]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is more a matter of "my entire life is here" than "if I could choose anywhere to live it would be here".

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons why people don't leave. Poverty, if they do have money, it is hard to get it out of the country due to exchange restrictions set by the reserve bank. Also, you have to be able to immigrate somewhere. My brother in-law waited 12 years to get a green card (my wife is from South Africa and applied for him). I have lived there and never had any issues. Johannesburg is much worse than other areas, no different than Detroit or bad areas of NYC, Chicago or LA.

The police are worthless, they won't show up. Everyone has ADT or another security company, I have even seen an ADT panic button in the police station.

Spent over 2 weeks there in February and it was great. It used to be a great place to live, now it is a great place to visit. We drove around some of Johannesburg at night, it was a little sketchy and we were not in a bad area.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have lived there and never had any issues. Johannesburg is much worse than other areas, no different than Detroit or bad areas of NYC, Chicago or LA.

SA murder rate alone is 5 times HIGHER then all of the US put together. 31.5 for every 100,000 vs 4 out of every 100,000. You can't even compare Detroit or any of those cities

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are parts of Detroit, NYC, Chicago or LA where it is much worse than the 4 out of 100,000. There are areas in SA where there is minimal crime. It is still not as safe as the US. I lived there 2002-2005 and have made several other vacation trips since 1993. It is getting worse over time and now that Mandela is gone, the ANC (and factions under the ANC umbrella) no longer needs to keep him happy.

I guess my military training to be aware of your surroundings helped me avoid any possible issues. When we were there in February, we let the kids (teenagers) walk from my mother in-laws house to a restaurant about 5 miles away. It was down a main street, but we were not that concerned.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe it is real. My wife heard about it from a friend in SA.