Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
News update! New G3 firmware has been released (5.5.160) -> DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)

No release notes, I just upgraded one of my G2 ColorVu's and yes, control of white light through motion detection is added! Will test this feature tonight. When setting motion detection in the NVR, the option white light is not (yet) available, don't know if the NVR needs a firmware update as well to include this new feature and push the setting to the camera.
OK, So remaining issue was fixed, I will order at least one of these today now :)

Mtv

n3wb
Reaction score
News update! New G3 firmware has been released (5.5.160) -> DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)

No release notes, I just upgraded one of my G2 ColorVu's and yes, control of white light through motion detection is added! Will test this feature tonight. When setting motion detection in the NVR, the option white light is not (yet) available, don't know if the NVR needs a firmware update as well to include this new feature and push the setting to the camera.
I installed it as well (DS2047G2-LU), i set up the light option into intruder smart detection, i set 5 sec into the linkage methode., i walked nearby the camera, got notified by the app, light went on:), but it stayed on 10 sec and after 25 min when returning from a walk, it still was burning.....................

On my NVR the same, no option yet for motion or smart event to set the light on.

Did your light went out using motion detection after your 60s?

it just being explained, i tested the wrong smart event, which seems to bugged ;-)
This linkage method is now available - but is a little bugged.
It works OK on Motion detection, Line Crossing detection, but the LEDs stay on when it's triggered under Intrusion detection.

Last edited:

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok that's handy information. I tried it with normal motion detection and works perfect! Standard I've set the LED lights to OFF, only when someone passes by -> BOEM full LED in their face, scares them off + makes them look in the camera and the camera has enough light to get a good picture, win win :)

PS: I have the 2T87G2, same as 2087G2 but with bigger LED's, they cover the whole driveway, perfect.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
yes I do, looking to get multiple camera on a drone for a new project. one overview and one lpr to zoom in.
Definately the future that. A thief enters your property, triggers the smart alert, and your security system releases a bunch of drones which chase him down the road getting first a good facial shot by overtaking him and making him run towards the camera and then a good LPR shot by chasing the car from behind. Finally, one follows him home covertly from height and reports his GPS location. o_O

Now back to reality.....:)

T123456

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed it as well (DS2047G2-LU), i set up the light option into intruder smart detection, i set 5 sec into the linkage methode., i walked nearby the camera, got notified by the app, light went on:), but it stayed on 10 sec and after 25 min when returning from a walk, it still was burning.....................

On my NVR the same, no option yet for motion or smart event to set the light on.

Did your light went out using motion detection after your 60s?

it just being explained, i tested the wrong smart event, which seems to bugged ;-)
I did the upgrade yesterday. Set the light to go on for 10 seconds, it went on with motion and then went off 10 seconds later. Tried it again with motion back and forth and it stayed on until 10 seconds after the motion stopped. The only two issues I've seen so far are that once it shuts off, motion does not turn the light back on immediately. It appears there needs to be a couple seconds for the trigger to reset itself. This may be a setting in the camera itself but I couldn't find it. This should only make a difference if the timer is set very low (5 or 10 seconds) as I tested with. If there is no motion for 60 seconds, I don't think there would be motion at 61 or 62 seconds to make that a huge issue.
The second issue I found is that despite me having good surrounding light (and the LED lights not helping at all really) when the LEDs activate via motion, I can see them turn on bright in the video but then the picture adjust itself and gets a little darker. I suppose this is an affect of the exposure and gain changing. The issue is, once the LED's activate, I now see less towards the sides of the picture that were clear and bright prior and the brightest part of the picture is in the middle. I suspected the LEDs changed it from Day mode to Night Mode, but playing with the settings it did not appear to make a difference. I tried turning the sensitivity for the LED on motion to 1 during the day, and 80 at night (so that they would only turn on if it wasn't bright enough for the picture) but they still turned on regardless. I'm sure it's a setting, I just can't find it. For me, the quality of the picture is better without the LEDs going on with motion so I've turned that option off for now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The question we all ask (or should before we update)...if the camera is working as we need it to for our situation...do we attempt to fix what isn't broken or attempt a firmware update and result in a degradation of our experience with it....I got burned once so if I am happy with the performance of the camera, I try to resist updating firmware in the event it makes my situation worse.

T123456

n3wb
Reaction score
The question we all ask (or should before we update)...if the camera is working as we need it to for our situation...do we attempt to fix what isn't broken or attempt a firmware update and result in a degradation of our experience with it....I got burned once so if I am happy with the performance of the camera, I try to resist updating firmware in the event it makes my situation worse.
I agree. This camera is so new though that early firmware updates may be beneficial, depending on what is included. In this case I wanted the LEDS to turn on on motion, but in my particular scenario it doesn't work exactly how I want it to, yet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally get that too and there was an update for a feature I wanted on a previous camera that came available, but like you, I found it degraded the experience. Hopefully they issue a firmware to get it doing what you wanted.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I did the upgrade yesterday. Set the light to go on for 10 seconds, it went on with motion and then went off 10 seconds later. Tried it again with motion back and forth and it stayed on until 10 seconds after the motion stopped. The only two issues I've seen so far are that once it shuts off, motion does not turn the light back on immediately. It appears there needs to be a couple seconds for the trigger to reset itself. This may be a setting in the camera itself but I couldn't find it. This should only make a difference if the timer is set very low (5 or 10 seconds) as I tested with. If there is no motion for 60 seconds, I don't think there would be motion at 61 or 62 seconds to make that a huge issue.
The second issue I found is that despite me having good surrounding light (and the LED lights not helping at all really) when the LEDs activate via motion, I can see them turn on bright in the video but then the picture adjust itself and gets a little darker. I suppose this is an affect of the exposure and gain changing. The issue is, once the LED's activate, I now see less towards the sides of the picture that were clear and bright prior and the brightest part of the picture is in the middle. I suspected the LEDs changed it from Day mode to Night Mode, but playing with the settings it did not appear to make a difference. I tried turning the sensitivity for the LED on motion to 1 during the day, and 80 at night (so that they would only turn on if it wasn't bright enough for the picture) but they still turned on regardless. I'm sure it's a setting, I just can't find it. For me, the quality of the picture is better without the LEDs going on with motion so I've turned that option off for now.
I added a light for my 4MP camera and I plan on moving my 6mm version of this camera to that location. I think the night picture is so good that I might not use the LED lighting at that location. We shall see. By the way I will order another one of these cameras only this time in 4mm to replace an older 2MP camera.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally get that too and that was an update for a feature I wanted on a previous camera that came available, but like you, I found it degraded the experience. Hopefully they issue a firmware to get it doing what you wanted.
They just added an extra feature which allows you to control the LED lights with motion detection but the feature is not default on so you don’t have to use it if you don’t want it, the new firmware doesn’t force you to use it so I don’t see any problem.

For me it’s working perfect, when the LED’s get actived, the person that triggered the motion detection is a lot more visible in the picture than without the LED’s + it triggers them to look into the camera and scares them off. Only downside I see is that you can’t control the LED strenght, when used with motion detection, it’s always 100%.

PS: I use the 2t87g2 which has more powerfull LED’s than the 2087g2. I have a 2087g2 in back order, when it arrives I will compare the LED brightness and reach.

Last edited:

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Picking up on your comment about the LEDs causing changes in exposure and gain to avoid saturating or clipping the bright area of the image, it is still surprising to me that it has not been possible, together with control of illumination strength, to completely eliminate the never-ending problem of washed out faces from cameras that use IR. Who cares about the periphery, it‘s the mug shot that’s important.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how you're testing here but if they have to be on for a set period, then that's really bad. Too short a period and they're going to go off when there's still action. Too long and they're blaring out for no reason and may go off just after a new motion event has been triggered. They really need to be tied to the motion event and not a fixed time period.

I also agree with Dave above (he beat me to the post) that they need to be adapt to the distance to the subject. Given all the tech in cameras these days it's hard to imagine thsi can't be achieved. We have it on some ir cameras now - I'm guessing it's a smart software function and a function of how big an identified object appears on screen but it could be emasured some other way eg ir bounce back. I don't confess to know how they do it, only that it's posible and essential because as Dave says, the ability to be able to facially recognise someone is the single most important feature of a camera.

Another aspect as a qeustion, have they solved the light adjustment times now on the latest cameras? ie does the camera instantly adjust when theres a change in ligh coniditons eg led or floodlights coming on or is there still a few seconds of poor picture whilst they adapt.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how you're testing here but if they have to be on for a set period, then that's really bad.
"Tried it again with motion back and forth and it stayed on until 10 seconds after the motion stopped."

I also agree with Dave above (he beat me to the post) that they need to be adapt to the distance to the subject. Given all the tech in cameras these days it's hard to imagine thsi can't be achieved.
That's the function of the 'Smart supplemental light' setting.
It dynamically adjusts the LED brightness based on the scene.

ie does the camera instantly adjust when theres a change in ligh coniditons eg led or floodlights coming on or is there still a few seconds of poor picture whilst they adapt.
There is a short period while the exposure and gain settings are changed to accommodate changed illumination, but it's a lot less than a few seconds.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
‘Smart supplemental light’ setting or whatever you want to call it is absolutely definitely the wrong way to correct over exposure. Far better for the software in the camera to control the gain, exposure, gamma, BLC, HLC and the like when the image brightness approaches its end stop.

We all know that maximising the amount of light available in a scene (white or IR) should be the best way to minimise motion blur and get the crispest image.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 6mm version? My distributor doesn't list them since they need to buy minimum amount from Hikvision and don't expect to sell the 6mm often.. The big sensor in the 8MP version has an impact on DOF:

DS-2CD2087G2 (8MP)
2.8mm : 4.5m to ...
4mm : 7m to ...
6mm : 13m to ...

DS-2CD2047G2 (4MP)
2.8mm : 2.5m to ...
4mm : 3.5m to ...
6mm : 7.5m to ...

That's a big difference, especially for the 6mm version. Was thinking about getting the 8MP 6mm version to cover a small entry way so a broader picture would be useless but focus starting at 13m is pretty far.. Altough I've never been worried about DOF before, I myself have the 8MP 4mm version installed, focus should start at 7m but if I stand about 4m away the picture is still pretty good so not sure if I need to worry about the 13m DOF of the 6mm?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 6mm version? My distributor doesn't list them since they need to buy minimum amount from Hikvision and don't expect to sell the 6mm often.. The big sensor in the 8MP version has an impact on DOF:

DS-2CD2087G2 (8MP)
2.8mm : 4.5m to ...
4mm : 7m to ...
6mm : 13m to ...

DS-2CD2047G2 (4MP)
2.8mm : 2.5m to ...
4mm : 3.5m to ...
6mm : 7.5m to ...

That's a big difference, especially for the 6mm version. Was thinking about getting the 8MP 6mm version to cover a small entry way so a broader picture would be useless but focus starting at 13m is pretty far.. Altough I've never been worried about DOF before, I myself have the 8MP 4mm version installed, focus should start at 7m but if I stand about 4m away the picture is still pretty good so not sure if I need to worry about the 13m DOF of the 6mm?
Yes, I have one. Yes, the focal point is the problem for anything up close. However I do have a spot for it that I will move from its present location as soon as the Dahua 5442-Z12 comes out. Then I will move 3 cameras around. Here is a picture of where it will be going. This location is far enough back from the sidewalk that I do not think the focal point will be a problem. IMHO this will be an excellent spot for the 6mm.

Camera 8F New Dahua.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 6MM in its current location. You can see that anything up close will be blurry.

Camera 4B 20421.jpg

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, how far away is the camera from that tree/wall in the last picture?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My guess would be about 4 meters to the corner in the wall lol!
Alastair, I think there’s a problem with the resolution of the picture temp.png you posted. The whole scene is blurry and so does not show the effect of DOF, presumably taken with the 6mm variant.

Oh just a minute - a .png so perhaps not.