Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Patrick E.

n3wb
Reaction score
(For Your Information, I am a complete newbie to this forum.)

I am a biology researcher and I am "in love" with the specs of this camera. I have the 4 MP version of this camera in both the bullet style (w/ a 6mm lens) and the turret style (w/ a 4mm lens) and they are exactly what I have been looking for, for several years. To further my current research with fireflies, I really need to get my hands on this new 8 MP model with a 6mm lens. According to Hikvision's global website and US website, this model IS available with a 6mm lens, but it's not being sold in the US. I only need one of these, but I need it "now" for my research. Does anyone know where I can definately purchase one of these with a 6mm lens right now? I don't mind paying a higher price. B and H's current price for a 2.8mm or a 4mm is $229 US, and that price would be fine with me if I could get a 6mm model. (But the fact is, they don't even have the 2.8mm and 4mm models in stock yet. )

I will appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of stock herein the UK & my supplier has plenty stock of the 2.8mm and another supplier gets stock on Monday :) and that reminds me I need one for my back yard.

2021-04-13 22_43_11-8MP COLORVU - 2.8MM FIXED LENS and 7 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge.jpg

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Only stock of the 2.8mm version ATM but come May/June will probably have 4mm and 6mm version.

Last edited:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recall someone else mentioning the crazy\stupidly low bit-rate with this camera.
I know variable changes, but not used to a 4k camera pushing a 200 kBs on highest quality settings when my 2k Dahua's HDW5442T-ZE require 600-700 kBs. That's like 3x retention for nothing with lower compute resources.
Using the Hik 2.8mm as an overview cam, with the Dahua's Zoomed in to provide detail and capture the shaded areas. Have to say though, for an overview CAM at 4k it can makes out equivalent detail as the 2k's on Full Zoom.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recall someone else mentioning the crazy\stupidly low bit-rate with this camera.
I know variable changes, but not used to a 4k camera pushing a 200 kBs on highest quality settings when my 2k Dahua's HDW5442T-ZE require 600-700 kBs. That's like 3x retention for nothing with lower compute resources.
Using the Hik 2.8mm as an overview cam, with the Dahua's Zoomed in to provide detail and capture the shaded areas. Have to say though, for an overview CAM at 4k it can makes out equivalent detail as the 2k's on Full Zoom.
Extremely low bitrate - that was me. The iframe interval was also stuck at 100, ignoring the set value. It was caused by FW V5.5.160 build 201103. When I updated the FW to V5.5.160 build 210107 the camera now behaves normally. Now when on CBR, the bitrate reflects its setting. On VBR, the bitrate more or less equals CBR when on the “highest” setting and is approx 7x or 8x lower when on the “lowest” setting (static scene). Also the iframe interval now correctly reflects its setting.

I’m guessing you’re also on build 201103 spammenotinoz - you’ll notice a massive change if you update.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Extremely low bitrate - that was me. The iframe interval was also stuck at 100, ignoring the set value. It was caused by FW V5.5.160 build 201103. When I updated the FW to V5.5.160 build 210107 the camera now behaves normally. Now when on CBR, the bitrate reflects its setting. On VBR, the bitrate more or less equals CBR when on the “highest” setting and is approx 7x or 8x lower when on the “lowest” setting (static scene). Also the iframe interval now correctly reflects its setting.

I’m guessing you’re also on build 201103 spammenotinoz - you’ll notice a massive change if you update.
I am on v5.5.160, BI reports the key frame as 0.4 so that aligns with an iframe of 50 and 20 fps.

1618728261679.png

Last edited:

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am on v5.5.160, BI reports the key frame as 0.4 so that aligns with an iframe of 50 and 20 fps.

View attachment 87171
Hi spammenotinoz, if your bitrate is still way too low even on the top setting, I’m sure ljw2k won’t mind me passing on to you the helpful info he sent to me that the way to fix it is to do a factory reset on the camera. So it’s a racing certainty it’s nothing to do with the firmware version and I was wrong (yes OK - yet again!).

d0rk0

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally able to order one from B&H 2.8mm version. Still showing in stock. Lets see how much better it is compared to by DS-2CD2T47G1

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi spammenotinoz, if your bitrate is still way too low even on the top setting, I’m sure ljw2k won’t mind me passing on to you the helpful info he sent to me that the way to fix it is to do a factory reset on the camera. So it’s a racing certainty it’s nothing to do with the firmware version and I was wrong (yes OK - yet again!).
Reset to defaults, and re-applied the same settings I had before and Bit-Rate in the day jumped to 600 and 1700 at night. Having some remorse as honestly comparing stills and footage and can't visually see the difference, may dial back the quality settings. But thanks now I know it's working as it should.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the 6mm and while adjusting the camera one of the T10 bolts snapped. I wasn't even done adjusting it and I didn't even apply a lot of pressure. Am I screwed?

Attachments

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received a back in stock notification yesterday from B&H on the 4MM but when I clicked through the link they were sold out. Apparently a few showed up and sold right away. Looking forward to Andy getting some of these.