Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's going on with the versions ending (C), from what I can see with firmware, the ones without (C) are G3 Platform with (C) being G5 and only G5 is getting updates even having December last year with non (C) being well behind ?. Sounds like the initial ones have been left high and dry with new versions being brought out and only these getting firmware updates ?.

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see Dahua equivalent though
you won't ........ in my opinion Hikvision just seem to be a cut above the rest in all areas

Dahua's offerring will attempt to compete .......... but "equivalent" is a bold statement. Might be me but does it seem Dahua are more so at a Swann level of late

not a fan

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's going on with the versions ending (C), from what I can see with firmware, the ones without (C) are G3 Platform with (C) being G5 and only G5 is getting updates even having December last year with non (C) being well behind ?. Sounds like the initial ones have been left high and dry with new versions being brought out and only these getting firmware updates ?.
Yeah ........... "C" versions indicate alternat internal components are being used .............. due to global shortages I expect
exactly what these substitutions are ........ I have no idea, but this would very much align with your observations regarding firmware updates

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see it's for sale in B&H in US but a bit pricey. Is there any other options?
$230 for 2.8mm lens, ships in 2-4 weeks
BH sells way too high all Hikvision cams. This should be around 170
B&H Photo may not be the cheapest but, they are in stock, provide good service, and will arrive in a few days. Shipments from China may be cheaper but, in the USA there is something to be said for a local domestic supplier with STOCK!

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a post comparing this model with the dahua 4k-x somewhere? I'm really interested in both.

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it's -25c outside, it's cold :screwy:

see top left corner of each image to get camera model, shutter and sensor size (so you dont have to look it up yourself)

first is 4k, second and third are the same 4mp, day vs night mode

for the 4k, it's perfect even during summer even when there is no snow to reflect the light

for the 4mp, I prefer the black & white when it's dark, day mode one is borderline in my point of view and when there is no snow to reflect, it's way too dark

I should replace the 4mp with a 4k colorvu turret next summer

42.jpg 43-color.jpg 43.jpg

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be good if their is a varifocal 4k in Hikvision or Dahua with the new technology, I still have the Dahau IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E's for this, lovely cameras but I would I would have expected an upgrade available by now.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Be good if their is a varifocal 4k in Hikvision or Dahua with the new technology, I still have the Dahau IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E's for this, lovely cameras but I would I would have expected an upgrade available by now.
The 5842's are very good in my testing and certainly now a worthy upgrade to the 5442's. I reviewed the Turret HERE and am currently testing the Bullet cam HERE. The Bullet cam has a Z4 variant so could replace your 5442 Z4 variant. These cams still utilize the 1/1.8" instead of the 1/1.2" of the full color but do of course give you the vari-focal. I'm hopeful we'll see more 1/1.2" based cams this year, probably in more PTZ's and hopefully a few Turrets albeit limited. The chip shortages have not helped any manufacturers at all which is a shame and has definitely slowed down the momentum a little.

HTH

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
That is what I am waiting for. A good varifocal with the 1/1.2" sensor or larger. I do not care if the case is slightly larger.

Moshel

n3wb
Reaction score
it's -25c outside, it's cold :screwy:

see top left corner of each image to get camera model, shutter and sensor size (so you dont have to look it up yourself)

first is 4k, second and third are the same 4mp, day vs night mode

for the 4k, it's perfect even during summer even when there is no snow to reflect the light

for the 4mp, I prefer the black & white when it's dark, day mode one is borderline in my point of view and when there is no snow to reflect, it's way too dark

I should replace the 4mp with a 4k colorvu turret next summer

View attachment 115722 View attachment 115723 View attachment 115724
Just out of curiosity... How does it looks when a car goes by? is the camera blinded by the headlights? can you see license plate? Or is this too much to ask...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... How does it looks when a car goes by? is the camera blinded by the headlights? can you see license plate? Or is this too much to ask...
One camera cannot be the be all, see all. To read plates of a moving car, the shutter has to be ran fast (like 1/2,000) and the vehicle would have to be within 5-10 feet of this camera. But since this camera cannot see infrared, no it probably cannot at night...

Reading plates of a moving vehicle is all about optical zoom and fast shutter speed and with that fast shutter speed comes the need to see infrared as the image will be black at night except for the reflective plate from infrared. Very few can get away with color at night.

Moshel

n3wb
Reaction score
The cars I am interested in are moving slowly as this is a circle at the end of cul de sac. Problem is, they are turning so lights face the camera. with a limited test I did with my very cheap besder, it is completely blinded in colour mode and in IR mode the plate is washed off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Moshel - As I mentioned, it comes down to distance based on the focal length of the camera along with the shutter speed:

2.8mm car needs to be within 5-10 feet
3.6mm car needs to be within 10-15 feet
12mm car needs to be within 35 feet
32mm car needs to be within 60 feet
64 mm car needs to be within 175 feet

There is some wiggle room to the above based on the size of the plates and the height and angle of the camera. In the US, the distance isn't as great as those with plates the size of bumpers.

Next you need a camera that can truly be set with shutter.

IF you can get by with color, you probably need backlight light HLC to knock down the headlights.

You know wanna why when you tried in IR mode and the plate is washed off - your shutter is too slow!!!!

It is as much an art as it is a science.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1642640048859.png

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

So if your cheap camera that you tried can get within the distances I mentioned above and you can run and set a faster shutter, try it and see what happens. But do keep in mind some cheapo cameras let you think you can set parameters, but the camera will override them.

Moshel

n3wb
Reaction score
@Moshel - As I mentioned, it comes down to distance based on the focal length of the camera along with the shutter speed:

2.8mm car needs to be within 5-10 feet
3.6mm car needs to be within 10-15 feet
12mm car needs to be within 35 feet
32mm car needs to be within 60 feet
64 mm car needs to be within 175 feet

There is some wiggle room to the above based on the size of the plates and the height and angle of the camera. In the US, the distance isn't as great as those with plates the size of bumpers.

Next you need a camera that can truly be set with shutter.

IF you can get by with color, you probably need backlight light HLC to knock down the headlights.

You know wanna why when you tried in IR mode and the plate is washed off - your shutter is too slow!!!!

It is as much an art as it is a science.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

View attachment 116091

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

So if your cheap camera that you tried can get within the distances I mentioned above and you can run and set a faster shutter, try it and see what happens. But do keep in mind some cheapo cameras let you think you can set parameters, but the camera will override them.
this is exactly what I am aiming for! Thank you, will experiment with lower shutter speeds. will IR flood light help? with very fast shutter?
these are the current settings, I am guessing the exposure currently is 1/10ms to 80ms
1642640398643.png