Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camera set to 1/50 or 1/100 as cannot remember what I had it set on at time of video ) In very dark conditions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Is that an overview camera because I don't think you could ID a stranger in that video?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I imagine the orignal 4k recording might look better than re-encoded lossy 1080p from YouTube...

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Upgrade to latest firmware -> DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL (hikvisioneurope.com)
2. In the web interface of the camera -> configuration -> image -> day/night switch -> disable smart supplement light & disable supplement light mode
3. In the web interface of the camera -> configuration -> event -> enable motion detection -> linkage method -> enable white light and specify time
one problem, the light is on during the daytime, how to set up my camera so that the light only appears only at night?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
^Is that an overview camera because I don't think you could ID a stranger in that video?
Hi, I have got a varifocal in that area but that's for the cars, the picture is alot better at 4.mm than it was on the 2.8 it replaced but I have not had time to play with settings yet. The camera is doing good colour at 1/100 where the other could not do it above 1/30. So I have to give it credit, I will try playing with settings and see if I can improve it. 3 more of these to swap out with the Lorex ones :). Would be 100% happy if you had more adjustments in the web interface like Dahua and did not have to go switching on Onvif which is not even called Onvif and set up a Username and Password for Onvif to get the cameras available to the NVR, but it is a Dahua NVR I guess. :)

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Bulat, if it's anything like the hik 2347 ColorVu, that would be here:
View attachment 82853
No it's completely different from the G1 version, it moved to 'image' and 'event' in the G2.

one problem, the light is on during the daytime, how to set up my camera so that the light only appears only at night?
In the web interface of the camera -> configuration -> event -> motion detection -> arming schedule. The blue bars is the active schedule, so for example in my case, see attachment.

PS: Do you use the hik-connect app? If you want motion detection notifications, in the web interface of the camera -> configuration -> event -> motion detection -> linkage method enable 'notify surveillance center'.

Attachments

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have got a varifocal in that area but that's for the cars, the picture is alot better at 4.mm than it was on the 2.8 it replaced but I have not had time to play with settings yet. The camera is doing good colour at 1/100 where the other could not do it above 1/30. So I have to give it credit, I will try playing with settings and see if I can improve it. 3 more of these to swap out with the Lorex ones :). Would be 100% happy if you had more adjustments in the web interface like Dahua and did not have to go switching on Onvif which is not even called Onvif and set up a Username and Password for Onvif to get the cameras available to the NVR, but it is a Dahua NVR I guess. :)
Yes I've had no problems connecting it to a Hikvision NVR, plug & play. What concerns the web interface, I've never used a Dahua camera so cannot comment on that, when I started with camera's I had to choose 1 brand, Dahua or Hikvision, both are about the same if you look at price, quality, features, etc.. but the Hikvision distributor was close by so I went with Hikvision. Also their alarm systems integrate very well, installed already a bunch of those so very happy with Hikvision. But back again on the web interface, I think it's a bit like Linux vs Windows. If you grew up with Windows, and suddenly get a Linux machine in front of you your like 'hmm, it's more difficult to find want I need' and otherwise, if you grew up with Linux and suddenly get a Windows machine in front of you, you will have the same reaction so I guess it depends on what your used to.

PS: Looking at your picture I think you did good going for a 4mm version and not 2.8mm. 6mm would be a bad choose I think because of the distance to the fence. Because of the large sensor, the DOF is also very large, perfect focus starts on 13m for the 6mm version so 5m away would be out of focus.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
No it's completely different from the G1 version, it moved to 'image' and 'event' in the G2.
ah, that's good. it's a bit of a hack in the T2347, even with the FW that ties it to events...

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah, that's good. it's a bit of a hack in the T2347, even with the FW that ties it to events...
True, I followed the introduction of the G2 by Hikvision and one of the first things they said when they came to the topic of the white light was 'we moved that hard to find almost hidden feature to a more logical place' ;)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I've had no problems connecting it to a Hikvision NVR, plug & play. What concerns the web interface, I've never used a Dahua camera so cannot comment on that, when I started with camera's I had to choose 1 brand, Dahua or Hikvision, both are about the same if you look at price, quality, features, etc.. but the Hikvision distributor was close by so I went with Hikvision. Also their alarm systems integrate very well, installed already a bunch of those so very happy with Hikvision. But back again on the web interface, I think it's a bit like Linux vs Windows. If you grew up with Windows, and suddenly get a Linux machine in front of you your like 'hmm, it's more difficult to find want I need' and otherwise, if you grew up with Linux and suddenly get a Windows machine in front of you, you will have the same reaction so I guess it depends on what your used to.

PS: Looking at your picture I think you did good going for a 4mm version and not 2.8mm. 6mm would be a bad choose I think because of the distance to the fence. Because of the large sensor, the DOF is also very large, perfect focus starts on 13m for the 6mm version so 5m away would be out of focus.
Thank you for your comments, yes, I am hoping 4mm is a good choice, still not 100% happy as I would not be able to ID a stranger walking past, but I think this is mainly very little light which I can do little about and hence I will just have to be less fussy.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Anyone with this camera.

Could you advise if their was a screen protector over the actual lens when new as my picture does not seem sharp, I removed s protector from around the lens i.e where led's are etc but not the lens. I cannot see a protector but am trying to figure out why the whole picture seems out of focus, I am comparing it to the Lorex which seems much sharper. Also once again the light is on all the time even though relevent settings are of :).

Thank you

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Anyone with this camera.

Could you advise if their was a screen protector over the actual lens when new as my picture does not seem sharp, I removed s protector from around the lens i.e where led's are etc but not the lens. I cannot see a protector but am trying to figure out why the whole picture seems out of focus, I am comparing it to the Lorex which seems much sharper. Also once again the light is on all the time even though relevent settings are of :).

Thank you
Ignore me, web view is showing sub stream, changed to main, looks much better :)

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha yes main stream is the way to go :) And for your information, mine also had only the plasic protector over the led's and around the lens, not on the lens.

But that your light is constantly on is not normal, start from the beginning.. Disable motion detection or disable the linkage method to LED and reboot .. Result? Still LED's on? Then go into 'image' -> 'day/night switch' and make sure that is set to day and the supplement light is set to off and reboot. LED's should be off, if they are still on, guess the product is defect or malfunctioning.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Haha yes main stream is the way to go :) And for your information, mine also had only the plasic protector over the led's and around the lens, not on the lens.

But that your light is constantly on is not normal, start from the beginning.. Disable motion detection or disable the linkage method to LED and reboot .. Result? Still LED's on? Then go into 'image' -> 'day/night switch' and make sure that is set to day and the supplement light is set to off and reboot. LED's should be off, if they are still on, guess the product is defect or malfunctioning.
Thanks, I have reset back to default settings and added back motion, event white light plus turned of the Supplement bit, at this point lights staying off, even with motion :). I will have a play some more. Also took a picture of front of house, as it has turned into a test rig, we have on the left a HFW5442E-Z4E (Still my favourite), in the centre a Lorex E891AB (Good for a kit camera but white light motion only works if linked to a Lorex player) and on the right a DS-2CD2087G2-LU in 4mm (Jury still out on this one)

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments, yes, I am hoping 4mm is a good choice, still not 100% happy as I would not be able to ID a stranger walking past, but I think this is mainly very little light which I can do little about and hence I will just have to be less fussy.
That's my concern and I think the 6mm or a varifocal would be better as I mentioned early on when you were looking for suggestions. I think your image is a great overview cam in that you will be able to tell clothing color and skin color, but at that distance, you will not get details on a face, even if you went to B/W and IR. Too much distance to cover with a small lens. But yet here you are accepting that the image is less than ideal and saying you are not happy with it and you just have to be less fussy - get the right camera for the location you are trying to cover and you will be happy with it!

Your varifocal that is focused for cars and thus blurry on people as you posted in another thread does a better job for people than this 4mm. We all hate to be the guy that said I told you so, but you have the wrong camera in place if you are trying to identify people on the other side of the fence (or pop the camera on the fence like I told you my neighbor did and gets great images)...

1613664190641.png

So, we tell people to match camera and NVR brands and here you are mix-matching...you will be to Blue Iris before the year is out:p

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's my concern and I think the 6mm or a varifocal would be better as I mentioned early on when you were looking for suggestions. I think your image is a great overview cam in that you will be able to tell clothing color and skin color, but at that distance, you will not get details on a face, even if you went to B/W and IR. Too much distance to cover with a small lens. But yet here you are accepting that the image is less than ideal and saying you are not happy with it and you just have to be less fussy - get the right camera for the location you are trying to cover and you will be happy with it!

Your varifocal that is focused for cars and thus blurry on people as you posted in another thread does a better job for people than this 4mm. We all hate to be the guy that said I told you so, but you have the wrong camera in place if you are trying to identify people on the other side of the fence (or pop the camera on the fence like I told you my neighbor did and gets great images)...

View attachment 82879

So, despite people saying you should match camera and NVR brands, here you are mix-matching...you will be to Blue Iris before the year is out:p
Hi Wittaj, Yes you are correct on many points. The issue I had is a bought a new NVR to get more ports and then this camera came out what was not a Dahua :). So yes, maybe hindsight it would have been better to get a computer and install blue iris :), but it is ok for now. The varifocal does indeed give better face shots but blurred as meant for the cars but things are changing which might bring things in line. I am having a drive way done and soon cars will be parked on that and where my garden is now. When that happens my focal points would be the path and the drive / garden. I think the varifocal will handle the path, and the new 4mm will be more at home looking down on the lawn etc, maybe even a 2.8 would be happier their as objects would be very near. I have 4 X these new Hikvisions to replace all 4 X 2.8, Lorex. The question is should I swap out 2 of my unopened 4mm for 2 x 6mm, it's a hard call as the situation is changing as mentioned. These new cameras don't do black and white at, I suspect Hikvision will say, that because it's never needed but I am not convinced. I am guessing that when they struggle they just up the gain allot and as I have not seen a manual gain control with these in the settings, I cannot prove it yet :)

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wittaj, please take the DOF into account. The 6mm version of this 8MP ColorVu G2 has a DOF of 13m, meaning that he should install the camera 13m away from the side walk, looks like that’s not possible so if he would have installed the 6mm version instead of the 4mm, people walking by would be out of focus.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wittaj, please take the DOF into account. The 6mm version of this 8MP ColorVu G2 has a DOF of 13m, meaning that he should install the camera 13m away from the side walk, looks like that’s not possible so if he would have installed the 6mm version instead of the 4mm, people walking by would be out of focus.
I was just going to comment on that :). I think Wittaj will say 'yes, needs another Dahua 5442 Verifocal, and that brings me to think, shall I send 2 of them back and get another 2 x Varifocal's, they are so good for the money. Stick a built in microphone in them and a couple of white LED's because people do like deterrence LEDs and you are onto a winner :)