Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

craigscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Im just about to place an order for some of these, I noticed that the spec sheets say I should use the junction box DS-1280ZJ-S.

Would I get away with a shallow junction box, the camera is already pretty big without adding on the deep box!

Thanks,

Craig

Logan555

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 x 2.8mm Cameras one is 4mp which needed refocusing, The other is the 8mp and was pin sharp from the factory, I think they must have some blind or lazy workers in the factory not setting them correctly.

vobele

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have 10 Hikvision IP Cameras, 9 of them have fixed lenses, 2.8mm and 4mm. It's a mixed bag of Tube, Dome, Minidome, 8MP and 4MP versions. One is a 2CD2087G2-LU (2.8mm).

So far 2 Minidomes had to be refocused. Luckily the 2CD2087G2-LU was not affected.

diesel

n3wb
Reaction score
The newest firmware out for this camera does support the "linkage of the light" for the white light activation with motion and line crossing events. I have been using this on my 2 for about a week now and it works perfectly - except it does not differentiate between night and day. I am using 5.5.160_210416 from the US portal. The international portal has it listed also but only for the non (c) version - not sure what that is but is uses a different firmware and I can't verify it has the "linkage of the light".
Hey there. This is as far as I got. Got the light linkage working but I don't want the lights comming on during the day. Did you find a solution?

TIA

Andy

Western

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running FW 5.5.160 build 210416 from the US site. This was previously erroneously mislabeled on the site as old firmware, with the older version 210108 as current; which was confusing. Hikvision has now corrected the labelling error, and 210416 now shows as most recent version. The light linkage works, but as diesel and others report, the light comes on 7x24, regardless of daylight / ambient light, and no apparent way to change this. Annoying and not at all desirable. Maybe this functionality will get improved in a future FW update. In my case there is enough ambient light from streetlights so I don't really need the supplementary light, so I have just disabled the linkage option.

I have a pair of cameras covering a driveway. One is this 8M Colorvu (4 mm) and the other is an 8M Darkfighter (4 mm, DS-2CD2085FWD-I, already discontinued), so I have a good basis for A/B comparison. The Colorvu seems to have a significantly better image quality at night, and I think will be my new standard, and no longer use Darkfighter.

The picture seems pretty sharp and I haven't decided yet whether to try to take it apart and tweak the focus any further as others have done. I have several more of these cameras on order, and will compare the sharpness of them all once they arrive, and decide from there.

The cameras all feed to Synology Surveillance station in a NAS box, which I am pretty happy with. All detection is done in camera, not by SS. Synology doesn't yet support this specific camera in their device pack, but it seems to work well when I specify a similar Hik camera model instead.

I am trying out H265+, and seems to be working ok with much lower network traffic and much smaller file size.

Hope there is something in here of benefit to others. Thanks all for any comments.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running FW 5.5.160 build 210416 from the US site. This was previously erroneously mislabeled on the site as old firmware, with the older version 210108 as current; which was confusing. Hikvision has now corrected the labelling error, and 210416 now shows as most recent version. The light linkage works, but as diesel and others report, the light comes on 7x24, regardless of daylight / ambient light, and no apparent way to change this. Annoying and not at all desirable. Maybe this functionality will get improved in a future FW update. In my case there is enough ambient light from streetlights so I don't really need the supplementary light, so I have just disabled the linkage option.
If your camera is a G3 platform based camera, which it is judging by the fact you are on firmare v5.5.160, you shouldn't expect to see any new firmware updates/releases.

Hikvision has already announced that v5.5.160 will be the last release for G3 platform cams. Unless you can lobby Hikvision to do another bug fix release you might be stuck with what you have now.

vobele

n3wb
Reaction score
If your camera is a G3 platform based camera, which it is judging by the fact you are on firmare v5.5.160, you shouldn't expect to see any new firmware updates/releases.

Hikvision has already announced that v5.5.160 will be the last release for G3 platform cams. Unless you can lobby Hikvision to do another bug fix release you might be stuck with what you have now.
I hope that this is NOT true! I just have bought this camera from a UK seller a fews weeks ago and got the G3 version. They said that UK distributors are still stocking non C models, others have sold through and are now waiting on shipments of the C model. It would be a shocker when the desperately awaited "light only during night-time function" would be implemented exclusively for the C models.

craigscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can someone help point me in the right direction to the differences on the models?

Wanted to buy some of these cameras but all I can find is the ones with G2 in the name, should I be looking for a different model number?

Kind regards,

Craig

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no G3 right now, only G2
they are not talking about the model generation, they are talking about the platform .. not sure if this is true , but according to the excel sheet hikvision decided to not support x87g2 series anymore (without (C) ... whatever that means) LOL

this is the problem:

Instructions:
1. Yellow-labeled model: (C) is not on the product model, while (C) is reflected on the actual label and spec;
2. The part marked in yellow will be continuously updated according to the actual situation. The corresponding package platform: G5 platform;
3. The cut-off version of the non-yellow part is V5.5.160, and it is expected that there will be no updated version in the future, corresponding to the package platform: G3 platform;

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can someone help point me in the right direction to the differences on the models?

Wanted to buy some of these cameras but all I can find is the ones with G2 in the name, should I be looking for a different model number?

Kind regards,

Craig
Hi Craig I can help you source your new cams and pass on my discount if you haven't already purchased. They are from an Authorised UK Hikvision dealer with a 3 year Hikvision warranty.
PM me if you need.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
They are from an Authorised UK Hikvision dealer with a 3 year Hikvision warranty.
the question is... is this old stock or do they have already C stock (G5 platform)...

according to some users c-stock firmware is buggy as hell ! so nothing what you may find in reviews must be true about these cameras...
but G3 will not get any updates... so i think it should not recommended to buy it anymore...

just read on use-ip...

I tried with a new out-of-the-box 2386(C), no firmware upgrade, and its just NOT able to record anything. I tried switching from smart event mode to monitoring mode, still not able to record. I can see in iVMS-4200 that a motion can trigger record, the little red bell appears in the corner, but if I try to playback I get: No record files found. SD card formatted and running fine, just as they should.

I can't be that Hikvision released a series of these cameras that are not able to record..!!!?? it sounds impossible and it would more likely to be me that has made a mistake. But I just can't see what that mistake is since it worked with the 3 non-C versions of the same model I just pulled down from the installation and returned. And the old 2355 I had several of, with the same settings, works.

UPDATE: the result is now, that "Basic event" is not working on these (C) cameras. But the Smart-events works, like Intrusion detection and line-crossing. So that is good, but in my setup I use "Motion detection" and that is a basic event, and that is not working.

i use smart events. i see the event appear (live view)within the nvr, event markers pop up, which in G3 reflects in a event marker picture, but in G5 no even marker appear on the picture.
i have no sd card in the cam, so i’ve no experience with saving there.

i do recognizd your experience with non (c) models, it looks like the g5 version are badly programmed.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure but will be from an UK Authorised Seller with FULL manufactures warranty. Can you elaborate on who told you that there will never be any further updates on the G3?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure but will be from an UK Authorised Seller with FULL manufactures warranty. Can you elaborate on who told you that there will never be any further updates on the G3?
It is on the Hikvision FTP as note , and i posted it above. They will NOT update G3 Platform anymore ! Its EOL

Also someone wrote Hikvision reseller what is going on...

The response was as follows;

"Currently we are evolving all G3 platform cameras to G5 platform, so the DS-2CD2386G2 model will be replaced with the DS-2CD2386G2(C)."

So in short, if you consider the end of firmware development to be end-of-life then any hardware based on the G3 platform is technically already end-of-life product, just that it may be a little while before it's replacement is announced.

This begs the question, is the G5 platform hardware a technical improvement on the G3 platform. Will the G5 platform equivalent replacements perform better or worse than the G3 platform hardware they replace?

According to the acutal situation everyone have do decide what he do... buy an EOL product which never receive updates in future, or buy "the new platform" product which has a buggy firmware and nothing works.

Not everyone heard about it... but there are people who bought this models last year (it was released in late 2019) and its EOL now ... LOL.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah right I didn't realise this and a bit shitty to make EOL so soon. I wonder if a G5 platform will be released for G3 owners as a firmware update or is the hardware different.

Thanks for your info appreciated.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah right I didn't realise this and a bit shitty to make EOL so soon. I wonder if a G5 platform will be released for G3 owners as a firmware update or is the hardware different.

Hikvision is silent as ever. No one knows what is going on.

The hardware is different. you cannot update G3 with G5 firmware. It must have something to do with chip shortage...

the hardware is somehow limited now.. you cannot use third stream in some configurations (SMD on) ... etc. but no one knows if it is a firmware bug or missing cpu power...

I have used Hikvision cam's for many years. A few weeks ago I bought the 2386 non-C version. They worked great, everyting was fast and easy, no problems. But then I realized that these was no going to be updated anymore, I returned them to the shop and bought several of the 2386 (C) versions. These cam's are terrible! Or to be more precise: he firmware is buggy and lots of functions that are available on the non-C version are NOT present on the C version yet! I am talking here about resent firmware versions for both versions.

Just as an example: when the 2386 (C) is running as smart-event unit (this is the default setting) it only provides 2 streams. Third stream is missing. Only if the unit is set to monitoring mode, the third stream appears and can here also tun up to 1080p. BUT the "old" 2386 non-C version have all three streams available as standard in the smart-event mode.
And worse: The 2386 (C) can't record to SD card. I just can't get it to work. The non-C version was set up in a few minutes, and everything was working including motion detection and recording. But the (C) camera just can't.... I don't understand it.

I think Hikvision developer team are pretty busy these days porting all the functions to the G5 platform for the C versions of these cameras, and therefor lots of functions are still missing, lots of bugs are found, and the camera don't run as smooth as the non-C version. The firmware for the new C-version is also 10MB smaller than for the non-C version!

but the existing firmware of G5 seems not to work good... basic functions does not work.

According to my seller... they cannot order C-Model. Hikvision told them, that they send non C stock till stock is empty, then send C-stock... but they dont want EOL product...

its all confusing, because hikvision didnt inform their resellers... they just put a note on ftp and someone found it...

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that report please or the notes.

This is the Note from ftp... you have to extend the first field ... the third paragraph is not visible... lol

and the discussion starts here with some first users who have these C-Stock models

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Best is this:

Unfortunately, Hikvision are very poor at communicating full explanations.
The story is unfolding nugget by nugget, in response to us questioning them each day over the past seven days.
Hikvision dont want to tell what is going on... :lmao:

Here is also a short summary about differences

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4MP G5 processor use Novatek NT98525.
Has been updated to IPC_G5_EN_STD_5.5.801_210727