Hikvision ColorVu questions

dexter0380

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the ignorant questions. I've been researching cameras for so long my brain is fried. Hoping someone wouldn't mind taking the time to help me out with some questions.

After tons of reviews and comparisons, I'm settled on getting some Hikvision ColorVu cameras for my garage to keep an eye on my alleyway and my parked vehicles. I'm now at the point of researching where to buy them and I am a bit overwhelmed. It seems there are many 'knock-off' items listed all over, including on Amazon. Most of those are priced quite a bit lower than say the Hikvision branded ones that can be found on sites like B&H.

I'm not extremely familiar with the manufacturing of cameras. Is Hikvision the actual OEM manufacturer of these and all of these other (cheaper) ones are knock-offs, or are they all made by the same company (What company actually makes them?) and Hikvision just happens to be one of the brands, although all of the hardware/software is exactly the same?

Any insight someone is able to provide will be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my opinion I would stay away from Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress etc when purchasing cameras unless you have worked with the supplier before. Many people on those sites sell knock off cameras which are considered "grey" market cameras not meant for the US market. Some are genuine Hikvision cameras others are Hikvision OEM and other are Chinese knock offs that a bricked or can't be upgraded at all. And a "genuine OEM" is produced by Hikvision and is normally sold under no brand name or a third party brand name. Sometimes the same firmware is on the camera as Hikvision would load but normally the firmware is tailored to the third party name brand which the camera is sold under

If your new to this I would spend the extra few dollars and purchase a Hikvision through a authorized retailer like B&H so you can get good customer support through them along with a one year warranty.

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Umm Isn't Empiretech an authorized seller for Hikvision. I'm surprised you didn't mention him

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Umm Isn't Empiretech an authorized seller for Hikvision. I'm surprised you didn't mention him
First, I have not seen Andy sell any Hikvision branded cameras. I have seen Andy sell non branded Hikvision OEM cameras under his Loryta brand. I would assume Andy isn't a authorized retailer for Hikvision because if he was he would be able to sell branded Hikvision cameras and also offer a one year warranty.
Second, I have never purchased from Andy and cannot speak about his products since I personally never have done business with him.

By all means you can direct @dexter0380 to Andy if you would like.

teddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased DS-2CD2347G1-LU (4MP ColorVu 2.8mm) from Amazon as OEM hikvision. Before this, I always bought US Hikvision. My personal experience with this OEM version is that, it works just like Hikvision in every way. However, when I tried to add this camera to Hik-Connect.com so I can use Hik-Connect on my android phone, I ran into a problem. With Hikvision camera, you need 9 digits Serial number and 6 alphabets VCode which can be found by scanning QRcode. However OEM Hikvision camera's serial number was not recognized and QRcode displayed serial #, not VCode. I sent several emails to Amazon vendor asking this but they had no idea what I was talking about so I had to find my own answer. Took me 3 days but I was very happy that it is now working.

Now, I just read on this forum that the latest firmware added a function for its LED light to come on when it detects motion (event) so I emailed the Amazon vendor to send me the latest firmware. OEM Hikvision firmware can be updated by the vendor only since Hikvision's firmware can't be used on OEM. Amazon vendor replied with this message, " upgrading could cause some irreversible change for the camera, so we don't recommed to upgrade the camera when it's not definitely necessary, please understand." So, I sent another email, I want the latest firmware because it supports LED light to come on when there is an event. This is their reply, "That not true, this model would not support flash light when motion trigger, please understand." Before purchasing this cam, I asked on Amazon to make sure if this cam can be updated to the latest firmware but I have a feeling they don't want or maybe it can't be updated.

As others have said, just pay more and get US Hikvision camera. I will NEVER buy another OEM for sure.

Now, I need to figure out how to update the firmware. Anyone know how to update OEM Hikvision cam?

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
d.

As others have said, just pay more and get US Hikvision camera. I will NEVER buy another OEM for sure.
That's a bummer bro. Where do you get US Hik cameras? Didn't the United States commerce department ban them?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I will NEVER buy another OEM for sure.
It does depend on where you buy it from ...
Somewhat after the event I know - but you'd get good prices, good service, and even support, from one of the forum's go-to vendors @EMPIRETECANDY

Here is an example of a Hikvision 'OEM' ColorVu camera that can use all the Hikvision stock firmware (check out the OEM model number) :
The 5.6.2 that's on it just now is the version that provides the ability to turn on the LEDs with an event trigger.
It's had all versions up to 5.6.5 on, just for testing.

Attachments