Hikvision coverts and Avigilon software are compatiable

offgridman

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got two Hikvision coverts in and operational on a site. FYI, once you enable the motion detection in the Hikvision software the avigilon software will record on motion detection. Camera electronics boxes run sorta hot almost to hot to hold. We used insulation to isolate it from the plastic boxes it is mounted in just in case :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got two Hikvision coverts in and operational on a site. FYI, once you enable the motion detection in the Hikvision software the avigilon software will record on motion detection. Camera electronics boxes run sorta hot almost to hot to hold. We used insulation to isolate it from the plastic boxes it is mounted in just in case :)
How is the image quality?
Do they run the same firmware as the other 2cdxxx hikvisions? If so, Avignon compatibility is expected.
Interesting point about the heat. The heat would be particularly concerning if you mount the plastic box it in a wall. Are you powering via poe?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using Hikvision DS-6704HFI encoders and they work fine but they have their glitches. The issues are only firmware interface related, my browsers seem to hate them and times and it will crash IE and the like. The firmware is unique and different than the cameras I have used anyway, but the image quality is great! After installing 5-10 of these I think the image quality is better on these than on the analog capture cards built into our hybrid DVRs which is impressive.

You can see all four cameras on the main live view screen but that almost never works for me. I can't even get one half the time, but I don't care either so I've not tried too many settings to make it work. Other than that, they are great encoders for sure. Motion detection works very well and I have not had to ever reboot or anything either as they have just worked since install.

I did try the alarm inputs on one of them but they did not work well at all. I had three motion detectors set to normally closed and connected to the encoder and every few seconds they would flicker to alarm and back. Tried it for a week in different combos of sensors in different ports and could never make it work, POE vs external power, nothing helped. Connected the alarms to an IO module that had alarm inputs and they worked fine so the sensors were perfectly fine, it was just the inputs not working correctly. I need to try them again but I was not happy about that in general.

offgridman

n3wb
Reaction score
I will have to check the firmware version and get back to you. Yes, I am powering using POE. We drilled vent holes in the plastic boxes due to the heat build up and laid down some insulation to protect the bottom of the box. Interesting idea about POE vs directly powering them. When if I get a chance to remove them I will utilize direct on one and poe on the other and measure after a time to see what it does. We are about 50 ft on one run and maybe 75 on the other run of cable. Image quality is pretty good for a pin hole. Only type we have so far.