Hikvision dome cams

JohnHik

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I'm selecting a camera for recording movements around the house. I found the brand Hikvision and after some reading it seems a solid choice. The camera will be mounted horizontally on the the piece of the roof which is sticking out further than the walls (don't know the english word for it). Since it has to be visually appealing I prefer a dome cam. Unless I'm mistaking, traditional dome cams require to remove the casing and position/focus them manually, which will in my case be hard as the cam is positioned 5.5meters above the ground. So I was hoping to get a dome cam with motorized PTZ & lens/focus to solve this: I could get it out of the box, screw it against the roof and configure everything else from the software. But afaic none of the hikvision dome or turret cams have automatic PTZ. Is that correct?

I also see that they have (at least on the US site) a new 8mp version Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. is this any good? Is there a lot of diffence with the turret (Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.) version?

On a side note, I would buy it form aliexpress (HiSecu Store) anyone experience with that store?

Thanks!

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Motorized PTZ to solve an installation challenge is tremendous overkill and not really the problem that those cameras were designed to solve.

The reality is that if you can reach it to install it then you can reach it to position it before tightening everything down.

If you don't want to make two trips up the ladder than configure the camera on your network ahead of time and then pull out your phone and view the cameras feed using Hikvision's app while you position it at the point of installation. I've done 18 cameras this way.

For vari focal cameras, motorized zoom is a useful and sensible installation assist but once again you don't need it as bad as you think. Manually zooming and focusing at the point of install is a pain but you only have to do it once.

JohnHik

n3wb
Reaction score
You are right about the installation. However, I want a clear view over my front yard day and night. It measures about 20meters across and 7m deep. The camera will be hanging at the other side of the main entrace to the property, so this means that if someone/something enters it will be roughly 8-10meters away. Will a fixed dome cam be enough to have good detail? For ex. Hikvision Europe stuff I see on youtube from this cam seems to be ok, but what bothers is the 2MP. Or would that be ok icw a 2.8mm?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JohnHik,
Welcome to the forum!

the cam is positioned 5.5meters above the ground
That's high. If monitoring a parking lot, it may work acceptably.
If you're looking to identify faces, it won't work well. Instead, you'll record their hoodie, hat or bald spot. But not their face.

a new 8mp version
Don't fall into the mp trap. If you're only interested about daytime, okay. But night time viewing will stink. 2mp cams will outperform by far!

Check the thread here on Starlight Varifocal camera if nightime performance is important.

I can't comment on the aliexpress vendor. My suggesstion: use @EMPIRETECANDY . Many here use him, he's active on this forum, and his pricing is equal to aliexpress vendors.

Since it has to be visually appealing I prefer a dome cam
Research this site for using domes outdoors. It's strongly suggested you don't use domes outdoors;
- The IR attracts spiders and webs, obscurring image and requiring cleaning.
- The plastic dome will get cloudy as it ages, due to sunlight
- the plastic catches it's own IR, and often "milks up" the images

Suggestion: Spend time picking the cam location and lens.
Camera location and lens size are critical. Lens will determine FOV (field of view), and the amount of detail. For facial identification, aim for 100 PPF (pixels per foot)
Go to Camera Calculator / Design Software, enter your address, google maps will come up, then place a virtual camera on your building. place an object (the subject) at a car or gate. Check the PPF for the lens (or camera model) you chose.

Fastb

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some HIK dome examples that are placed out doors. These were placed under the roof eves so i never had a problem with rain spots/rain/etc. I also never had a problem really with spiders. However, I am not a fan of traditional IR rings and would recommend matrix IR any time you can go with it to assure a more even IR coverage at night and not a spot light effect that ir rings give you.

The first link is examples from HIK 2mp domes
IP Cameras, Multiple Locations

Here are 3 and 4mp examples of HIK domes and Turrets
HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

Here are 2mp domes and turrets
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here are some HIK dome examples that are placed out doors. These were placed under the roof eves so i never had a problem with rain spots/rain/etc. I also never had a problem really with spiders. However, I am not a fan of traditional IR rings and would recommend matrix IR any time you can go with it to assure a more even IR coverage at night and not a spot light effect that ir rings give you.

The first link is examples from HIK 2mp domes
IP Cameras, Multiple Locations

Here are 3 and 4mp examples of HIK domes and Turrets
HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

Here are 2mp domes and turrets
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
Do you like your hikvision dome cameras? If I have them under the soffit they should be okay ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you like your hikvision dome cameras? If I have them under the soffit they should be okay ?
I like them in my business, I also like them in my garage and the front porch of my last house. However, for outdoor coverage of property and areas that require IR, I would not use them. I would look at the Turrets instead because of the better IR coverage. Also honestly, as much as I do like HIK hardware I would seriously reconsider Dahua if I was updating my personal cameras as they are doing some great things with low light in their new starlight line.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like them in my business, I also like them in my garage and the front porch of my last house. However, for outdoor coverage of property and areas that require IR, I would not use them. I would look at the Turrets instead because of the better IR coverage. Also honestly, as much as I do like HIK hardware I would seriously reconsider Dahua if I was updating my personal cameras as they are doing some great things with low light in their new starlight line.
Ah just asking cuz I never tired a dome camera.. I have many hikvision cameras and dahua starlight cameras.. just looking for something new to play with.